The following land records encompass the area of old Tippah County from township 1 south through township 6 south and range 1 east through range 5 east. They are sorted by the name of the patentee. All of these patents are south of the Chickasaw meridian. The Chickasaw meridian is a horizontal baseline that actually runs through Tennessee, just north of the Mississippi-Tennessee line.
A section contains 640 acres and is generally divided in quarters. The North West quadrant would be called the NW 1/4 and would contain 160 acres. These quadrants might also be subdivided in halves such as the north half north west quadrant (N1/2 NW1/4).
|1 Last name of patentee
2 First name
3 Middle initial
4 Access number
5 Imagine Name
6 Volume ID
7 Description number
8 Aliquot part
9 Section number
12 Total acres
13 Fractional section
14 Document number
15 Title authority
17 Signed date
18 Multiple patent
The patents have been
sorted by the last name initial of the patentee:
Townships measure 6 miles square or
36 square miles. A township is referenced to some principal base line such
as the Chickasaw base line and will be referenced by a direction, north
or south of it. All of the following records are south of the Chickasaw
base line. Townships are numbered north to south. Ranges are numbered east
and west. All the following records are east of the north-south dividing
line or meridian. Thus T1R1 would be the north west corner of the county
(now in Benton Co.). T2R1 would be the 6 miles square block south of it.
Townships are further divided into 1 square mile subdivisions called sections.
Sections are numbered in a zig-zag fashion as shown below:
The Chickasaw and their Cessions
Treaty with the Chickasaw, 1818
© 2002, by Melissa McCoy-Bell. All rights reserved.
The picture above was taken in the late 1890's close to Walnut, Mississippi in Tippah County. Pictured are from right to left: Will , Rich, John Douglas, Abner, and W. C."Bill" Mecoy.