New or updated in the last 30 days
BOOKS FOR SALE
- The Blue & the Grey: Perry County, Mississippi's Civil War Soldiers Compiled by Robert J. McSwain, Jr. This book contains a listing of the various military companies that served from Perry County, Mississippi, during the Civil War. Men from Forrest, Jones, Greene, and Covington Counties can also be found in this book. It also gives a brief history of each company and lists the individual Officers and Soldiers, along with other information pertinent to each one. 88 pages, paperback, index, Price: $10.00 plus $4.00 shipping.
- Descendants of Early Settlers of Perry County, Mississippi Compiled by Robert J. McSwain, Jr.
The earliest settlers arrived in the area about 1809. This book traces 29 of the earliest settlers down through several generations of their descendants. Family names include: Anderson, Batson, Bennett, Carpenter, Carter, Chappell,Dearman, Fillingame, Garraway, Gillis, Grantham, Hinton, Lee, Lott, McDonald, McGilvary, McKenzie, McLamore, McLemore, McSwain, Mixon, Myers, Nicholson, Stevens, Stuart, and Walley. Many other surnames are included through marriages, etc. 199 pages, paperback, surname index, Price: $20.00 plus $4.00 shipping.
- These books can be purchased from:
- Pioneer Publishing Company
- P. O. Box 408
- Carrollton, MS. 38917
- Phone: (662) 237-6010
- E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Strickland Books:
- Ben and Jean Strickland left a valuable legacy to researchers in south Mississippi. It is my understanding that a list of published works, prices, and ordering information can be obtained by contacting:
- Jody Strickland
- 935 Little River 17
- Ashdown,Arkansas 71822
- Phone: (870) 898-3235
- Friends of Myers Cemetery
- The Myers family emigrated with a wagon train of Methodist German, Swiss, and English families from Orangeburg District, South Carolina, in the 1820s. They stopped in Perry County but some moved on in 1847 to Eight Mile in what is now Chickasabogue Park in Mobile County. Others followed them in the 1850s. Read about the efforts to save the historic Alabama Cemetery.
CEMETERY TRANSCRIPTIONS - OTHER SITES
CONTACT OTHER RESEARCHERS
- Perry County Chancery Court: Land records, divorce, adoptions, wills
- Perry County Chancery Clerk
- P. O. Box 198
- New Augusta, Mississippi 39462
- Telephone: 964-8398, Fax: 964-8265
- Perry County Circuit Court:
- Marriages, criminal records, civil records
- Perry County Circuit Clerk
- P.O. Box 198
- New Augusta, MS 39462-0198
- Telephone: (601) 964-8398
Submit your family reunions and other news items for posting in this space! E-mail details to Gene Phillips.
The December monthly meeting of the Perry County Historical and Genelogical Society is planned to be a potluck lunch. Time and place to be announced later.
PCHGS also has 2009 calendars for sale for $5. These have historical pictures from around Perry County. Email me for more information
HOME PAGES WITH PERRY COUNTY ROOTS
LIBRARIES AT UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI
- Cook Memorial Library, University of Southern Mississippi: Microfilm collection on the second floor includes census records, civil war records, WPA county histories, old newspapers from all over the state, and many other useful materials. Microfilm readers require a copy card for copies, twenty cents per page. Open late and on weekends when school is in session. Reduced hours during intersession and holidays.
- McCain Graduate Library, University of Southern Mississippi: Extensive collection of genealogy materials other than census records and microfilm are located in the Cleanth Brooks Reading Room on the third floor. Open 9:00 to 5:00 Monday through Friday.
- A parking pass is required. Enter the campus from Hardy Street to get a visitor parking permit at the guardhouse, allow plenty of extra time to find a parking space, and expect a pleasant ten minute walk.
Subscribe to the Rootsweb Perry County List. Put the word: subscribe in the subject and body of the message.
- 1895 MAP OF MISSISSIPPI Very large and detailed.
NATIVE AMERICAN RESOURCES
PHOTOGRAPHS OF PEOPLE AND PLACES