MSGenWeb Logo
USGenWeb Logo

Early Phone Directory for New Augusta, Mississippi
Submitted by Joe McSwain

In today’s society, all most everyone either owns or has access to a telephone. This was not the case in the early 1900’s. Only a privileged few were able to have a phone at their residence or place of business. The following is one of the earlier “phone books” which was listed in the May 23, 1912 edition of The Perry County News.

Directory of New Augusta Telephone Company

No. 0 Perry County News office

1 Vacant

2 F. W. Smith

3 Dr. B. T. Robinson

4 Mrs. A. E. Mills

5 J. F. Ruffin

6 F. F. Myers

7 Vacant

8 Vacant

9 Dr. H. P. Smith

10 Mrs. R. McSwain

11 Perry County Bank

12 Sheriff’s Office

13 Hairston Bros. Office

14 Kennedy Bros. Office

15 Fullilove’s Drug Store

16 Dr. H. P. Smith Office

17 Walter Myers

18 C. E. White

19 A. T. L. Watkins

20 C. C. Dearman

21 Ruffin & Company Office

22 A. J. Ikard

23 H. Myers, Old Augusta

26 C. T. Fullilove

27 J. H. Davis

31 Smith Drug Company Office

33 E. E. McCoy

34 Walter Myers farm

48 J. N. McCoy

Party Lines:

Wingate Line… Young, Small, Burdine, Smith, and Morris

Mahned Line… W. H. Carpenter, Mrs. Belle Myers, R. F. D. No. 1 via New Augusta

P. C. James, G. D. Draughn, J. L. McCardle, Pace & Barrow, B. S. Stevens, connection with Runnelstown and Richton.

Call all parties wanted outside local exchange by name…Toll stations at Runnelstown, Petal, Mahned, Wingate and intermediate points, and direct connection with Cumberland Telephone Company.

Page last Modified: Sunday, 10-Jan-2010 09:07:26 EST