MSGenWeb Logo
USGenWeb Logo

Postal History of Brooklyn and Surrounding Area

by Mahlon I. Martin

When looking at the history of the Brooklyn Post Office, we must first look at the predecessor, Griffin, which was established on 15 Dec 1885. The first location of the Griffin Post Office was Township 1 North, Range 12 West, Section 31, which places the post office south of the Ashe Nursery. On 8 Nov 1897 the post office was moved a few miles Northwest, to the Northeast quarter of Section 21, and renamed Brooklyn. Another Griffin Post office was established in 1899 at T1S R12W S15. This places it in the vicinity of the Maxie Lookout Tower. In Jul 1906 the Griffin Post Office was relocated about a mile south to Section 22. It could not be determined how long this post office remained in service.

The location of the first Brooklyn Post Office in Section 21 places it at what is now the junction of old and new highway 49 south of Brooklyn. The post office only remained there for about one month. It was moved in Dec 1897 to Section 10 which places it in downtown Brooklyn. Even after it relocated to town it was moved from time to time.

-Records show that in 1897 the Brooklyn post office was located 100 feet on the East side of the Gulf and Ship Island Railroad and Depot (SW4 of S10).

-In 1913 the post office was located 20 yards on the West side of the G&SI track and depot (SW4 of S10).

-Later the same year, 1913, the post office was located 202 feet on the East side of the G&SI railroad (SE4 of S10).

-In 1922 the post office was located 90 feet on the West side of the railroad (SW4 of S10).

-Records show that in 1940 the post office was located 316 feet on the West side of the railroad, on Cemetery Street (SW4 of S10). This is probably the location that most of us remember prior to the construction of the present one.

Page last Modified: Tuesday, 07-Nov-2017 15:37:14 EST