CHURCHES OF TATE COUNTY
The first building was erected in 1868 on land donated by Evan PERRY with William H. McCAIN and A.M. BURFORD holding it in trust. Some of the early preachers were Lee JACKSON, M.C. CAYCE, J.P. LOWREY, N.B. HARDEMAN, W.E. MORGAN, D.H. PERKINS, H.I. COPELAND AND A.H. SMITH. Some of the early families were BURFORDs, McCAINs, CRENSHAWs, MARTINs, PERRYs, MOOREs, ALLENs, HENDERSONs, INGRAMs, WYNNEs, BLACKBURNs, STRICKLANDs, PARKs, THOMPSONs, PRICHARDs, AND WOOTENs. The church is still in existence today.
This church started in 1897 with five deacons, W.H. ELION Sr, L.T.THORNTON, H. VEAZEY, J.O. ELION Sr,and Reverend Z.P. SMITH on land donated by the VEAZEY family. Thru differences of opinion split the church in the thirties and the name of the church became West Antioch No.1 Baptist Church. The church was moved to its present location on Merry Hill Road about 1932. A new brick building was built in 1960 with additions in 1971, 1976 and 1+987
Brooks Chapel Methodist Church Founded in 1869
Brooks Chapel Methodist Church, organized in 1869, was named for Rev J H Brooks, the presiding Elder at the time the church was built.
The one room white frame building has a seating capacity of about 150, but is used only for special occasions now. A homecoming service is held each year on Memorial day.
The church is located about five miles southwest of Coldwater Miss in the southwest corner of Section 3, Township 5, Range 8 of Tat County Mississippi.
Two acres of land were deeded by H R Osteen to B F Acree, A T White, J W Smith, W H Trimble, Emory Williams, and R J Laughlin, Trustees for the use of the Methodist Episcopal Church South as a gift. The Deed is recorded in Vol H Page 441 dated Oct 28, 1871. An additional 1/2 acre of land was deeded by A C Osteen to Trustees W Bailey and others June 8, 1885.
Some of the ministers who have served Brooks Chapel Methodist Church are: J W Pastom 1875; W J O'Bryant 1876-1877; M M Dunn 1878; J W Luter 1879; W T Barnett 1889; W H Echols 1885-1889; R P Gore 1890-1891; J M Huggins 1892-93-94; S B Myers 1895; G H Jacobs 1896-97-98-99; C P Moss 1900-01-02-03; J W Ramsey 1904; W S Lawson; Wm G Mosier 1906-1907; J W Hall 1908; A W Bidey 1909; A F Moore 1910-1911; A G Carlisle 1912-1913; J B Wilson 1914; J B Comner 1915-16-17; N G Augustus 1918; A S Raper 1919-20-21; T H Porter 1922-23; J D Simpson 1924-25-26; G A Baker 1927- 28; W C Beasley 1929-1934; Norfleet Maxey 1934-1936; George Richard Williams 1936-1940.
Source: Tate Trails Vol II Number 2 Page 27.
Resolution Of Respect For Joseph H Brooks
This Page Updated January 18, 2010
County Coordinators: Syble Embrey & Marie Carlton
All rights reserved. Copyright of submitted items belongs to those responsible for their authorship or creation unless otherwise stated.