Query posted Mar 28, 2003
Johnson Barton GALEY was born 1822 in Lawrence Co, AL to Andrew Galey & Martha Isbell. He moved to Tuscaloosa Co, AL and there married Nancy Cooley in 1841. Nancy (1825 TN - 1891) was the dtr of George Cooley and Rebecca Howard
Between 1846-1848, Johnson and Nancy moved to Blackhawk. The 8 children are:
1. Martha Christine Galey (1844-1902) mar Jefferson Davis Sudduth in 1865. Jefferson (1833-1910) son of Richard P. Sudduth & Jenny Willis of Tuscaloosa Co, AL. Children: James B., Mary Rebecca, Sallie, Sidney Johnson, Louvenia
2. William A. Galey (1846 AL - 1862) died in Civil War at Battle of Franklin in TN. Never married
3. James Galey (1849-1850) died of pneumonia
4. Rebecca Galey (1851-1925) mar William H. Word in 1875. William (1849-1925) son of Nathaniel Rollins Word. Children: William Tilden, James Madison, Walter Witt, Nancy Tennessee, Luna, Rebecca, Hattie Mae, and Alvin
5. Mary Galey (1852-1931) mar Meda Z. Sudduth in 1885. Meda (1859-1896) son of Medley W. & Louisa Sudduth of Tuscaloosa Co, AL. (note Medley Sudduth & Jefferson D. Sudduth were brothers) Children: Oat (1890-1952) and 3 sons who died as infants.
6. Thomas J. Galey (1856-?) mar Amanda E. Hopgood in 1879
7. James Madison 'Matt' Galey (1858-1920) mar Frances M. Shute in 1878. Frances (1860-1937) dtr of Elihu Shute & Mary Ann Clementine Massey. Children: Lillie Catherine, Johnson Barton, Mattie Clementine, Evie, Hattie Augusta, Lonnie Edwin, & Louis Hugh
8. George Beauregard Galey (1861-1900) mar (1) Nannie Elvira Evins Jenkins in 1883. Nannie (1866-1897) dtr of Joseph Jenkins & Winnie Holly. Children: William Edmund, Georgia Evalee, & Frank Ashley. George mar (2) Mollie G. Cannon in 1899. Children: Hattie May, David Ola
Any information appreciated.
Teresa Randall Bransby