by Everett Carr
Rowland, Dunbar, ed. Mississippi: Comprising Sketches of Counties,
Towns, Events, Institutions, and Persons, Arranged in Cyclopedic Form.
Atlanta, GA: Southern Historical Publishing Association, 1907.
Vol. 2, page 799.
Treaty of Choctaw
Trading House, concluded at St. Stephens, October 24, 1816, relinquished,
in connection with the cession by the Chickasaws in September, all the
land claimed by the two nations south of the Tennessee river, and east
of the Gaines road and Tombigbee river, of which a part lay within the
bounds of the State of Mississippi, as defined in 1817. The Choctaws
ceded that part east of the Tombigbee river between the mouth of the Oktibbeha
and the first Choctaw cession line. The treaty was made by Gen. John
Coffee, John Rhea and John McKee, and the “mingoes, leaders, captains and
warriors of the Choctaw nation in general council assembled.” The
consideration was $10,000 in goods, then delivered, and an annuity of $6,000
for 20 years.