of Chickasaw Council House
by Everett Carr
Rowland, Dunbar, ed. Mississippi: Comprising Sketches of Counties,
Towns, Events, Institutions, and Persons, Arranged in Cyclopedic Form.
Atlanta, GA: Southern Historical Publishing Association, 1907.
Vol. 2, pages 798-799.
Treaty of Chickasaw
Council House. This treaty was made September 20, 1816, and
followed the Creek war, and the cession by the Creeks of the land in Alabama
southwest of the river Alabama, adjoining the first Choctaw cession on
the east. Together with those two cessions, but only east of
the river Tombigbee, giving Alabama a great lead in opportunity for development,
over both Mississippi and Georgia. The Chickasaws relinquished all
claims north of the Tennessee river, and all title south thereof, and east
of Caney Creek and the Gaines road (or ridge path), and the Tombigbee river
south of Cotton Gin Port, where the road touches it. The treaty was
made at the “long house” of the nation, at the Chickasaw Old Fields (Lee
county) by Gen. Andrew Jackson, Gen. David Meriwether, and Jesse Franklin,
and “the whole Chickasaw nation in council assembled.” The consideration
was an annuity of $12,000 per annum for ten years; $4,500 cash for improvements,
and $100 each to Chinnubbee, king of the Chickasaws, Tishomingo,
Coahoma (William McGillivray), Samuel Seeley, the Colberts, Brown, and
a number of others. Gen. William Colbert was also given a life annuity
of $100. Four reservations were made for the Colberts and others.
The government also agreed to allow no more peddlers to enter the Chickasaw
country. That part of this purchase, about 408,000 acres, which was
found to lie in Mississippi State, was organized as the county of Monroe,
in 1821. According to the present county lines, the cession in Mississippi
form the eastern part of the counties of Tishomingo, Itawamba, Monroe and
to Articles Index
to MSGenWeb Native American Resource Page
of the USGenWeb Project