St. Paul's Episcopal Church
The oldest Episcopal Church building west of the Alleghenies
The early history of the Church was preserved in the original records begun in 1823 by the first Rector, the Rev. James Angel Fox, who had been in the area for a few years. he arranged to come to Woodville in October 1823 for the purpose of organizing a church.
On September 9, 1824, the frame of St. Paul's Church was raised, and on April 10, 1825, the first service was held. The building stands today, with the exception of minor repairs, as it was built. The Church was Consecrated in 1830. The organ, still in use, was the gift of Major A. M. Feltus, in 1827.
A plaque in the church commemorates the confirmation of Jane Cook Davis, mother of Jefferson Davis by the Rt. Rev. Leonidas Polk, D.D.
The current Rector is The Rev. Walter Van Zandt Windsor.
Source: 175 Years of the Anglican Communion, Saint Paul's Episcopal Church and Her Companions, C. 1998, David A. Smith, Editor.
Photo: Copyright 1999 Ellen Pack
Back To Wilkinson County Information Index
Back to Wilkinson Co, MSGenWeb
This Page is Copyright 1999 Ellen Pack, 2001-2009 Carolyn Switzer - All Rights Reserved