The South Tishomingo School was
consolidated in 1929. The three schools that formed
the consolidation were the Pharr School, New Bethel
School, and the Caviness School. From these
schools, South Tishomingo was built. The structure
was a nice six-room brick building, consisting of
four classrooms, one auditorium, and one office. It
was a line school, almost on the Itawamba County
line and located on Red Bud Creek, six miles
southwest of Belmont.
The teachers that taught last at the
Pharr School in 1928 were Rebecca Ivy and Miss Verna
Wood. The enrollment was about 60. The trustees
were S. Wiggington, Edgar Whitfield, and Mr. B. S.
Mr. Bill Mayhall taught the last
school at New Bethel. The trustees were Mr. Frank
Pharr and Elbert Hinley. The enrollment that year
The teachers at the Caviness School
that taught the last term were Mr. E. Lacenberry,
Principal, and Burton Maxey. The trustees were Mr.
A. R. Bennett, John F. Caviness, and George Ashley.
The enrollment was 50.
South Tishomingo operated under the
short term of five months, being outside of the
special consolidated district.
The teachers at South Tishomingo for
1938-39 were Hunon O. Pearson, Principal; Huston
Ivy; and Miss Vera Montgomery. Enrollment was 134.
Contributed by Tishomingo County
Historical & Genealogical Society.