Courtesy of the
Tishomingo County Historical & Genealogical Society
Original files are housed in the John Marshall Stone Research
Tishomingo County Archives & History Museum
203 East Quitman Street, Iuka, MS 38852
TCHGS COPYRIGHT NOTICE: In keeping with our
policy of providing free information on the Internet, materials may
be freely used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message
remains on all copied material, AND permission is obtained from the
contributor of the file.
These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced
in any format for profit or presentation by other organizations.
Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for
non-commercial purposes, MUST obtain the written consent of the
contributor, OR the legal representative of the submitter, and
contact the listed Tishomingo County Archives & Historical Society (TCHGS)
with proof of this consent.
RaNae Vaughn from the Vidette (Iuka, Miss.) dated November 7, 1929
Excerpted by RaNae Vaughn from W. R. Nettles’ Tishomingo County
Agricultural High School: A History.
In 1870, Tishomingo County was divided into Prentiss, Alcorn, and
Tishomingo. Prentiss County had a population of 9,348, and Alcorn
County had a population of 10,431 in 1870. The new Tishomingo County
was the smallest one of the three with a
population of 7,350. There were 1,095 people in Tishomingo County
that was 21 years of age or older, and 790 people were registered to
vote within the County.
Burnsville, Eastport, and Iuka were the largest towns in the new
County. Burnsville, in the northwest, had its origin about 1832. It
was located on the Iuka to Corinth stage route and later (1857-1858)
became a major stop on the Memphis-Charleston Railway
(Southern—1900). The population of Burnsville was 240 in 1880.
Iuka in the northeast section of the County began about 1844 as a
settlement with the sale of a large block of land by Chief Iuka to
David Hubbard and his son. Iuka was incorporated in 1857 which was
the year for the Memphis-Charleston Railway. It was a main terminal
for the Iuka-Jacinto road and the Iuka-Corinth Stage Line. After the
Civil War years (1861-1865), many of the prominent citizens of
Eastport moved to Iuka; Eastport had lost its status as a business
hub. By the 1870s, Iuka was a thriving and growing community with
its well-known Mineral Springs. Iuka became the County seat of
government for the newly designated Tishomingo County. The
population in 1880 for Iuka was 845.
The Illinois Central Railroad, completed in 1907-1908, running from
Memphis to Birmingham, became the catalyst for growth for the many
settlements along its route. In Tishomingo County, these settlements
included Holcut, Paden, Tishomingo, Dennis, Belmont, and Golden.
In the early 1900s, the primary roads followed the stage lines and a
few commercial routes between the incorporated towns. In bad
weather, progress was slow due to soft road beds of dirt and very
little gravel. The many streams caused extensive flooding often
making travel impossible. Oxen were used for heavy loads but were
slowly being replaced by mules and horses. The automobile had not
arrived by this time.
There were many secondary roads in the new Tishomingo County that
mostly followed the older Indian trails which crossed the area.
These trails and roads attracted the settlements of people seeking
permanent homes. Many settlements have simply changed in importance
by passage of time. A few of these included Bay Springs (on Mackey’s
Creek—seven miles west of Dennis), Burnt Mills (near Paden),
Carter’s Branch and Petertown (east of Tishomingo near the Alabama
State line), Cole’s Mill (10 miles north of Iuka), Cook’s Landing
(Tennessee River port), Cripple Deer (northeast of Tishomingo),
Eastport (Tennessee River port), Gravel Siding and Tipple (three
miles southeast of Iuka), Gray Town (12 miles north of Burnsville),
Gum Springs (near Belmont), Highland (two miles southeast of
Tishomingo), Holcut (west central part of County), Holt Spur (five
miles south of Burnsville), Jackson’s Camp (near Tishomingo and
Paden), Leedy (five miles south of Burnsville), Lindsey (near
Dennis), Memora (near Golden), Mingo (east of Tishomingo), Neil (two
miles south of Tishomingo), Old Cairo (six miles south of Holcut),
Oldham (five miles east of Iuka), Piney Flats (15 miles north of
Iuka), Pittsburg (two miles north of Belmont), and Short (nine miles
north of Iuka).