Tishomingo County banner showing old citizen and old courthouse

Leedy
Leedy located about five miles out of Burnsville, was established when the Birmingham Division of the Illinois Central Railroad was built in 1907. This railroad opened up a virgin territory which had been served by the town of Iuka since the founding of that town in 1857 and the Memphis & Charleston Railroad (now Memphis Division of the Southern Railway) was completed. Leedy is located thirteen miles from Iuka.
 
 In 1936 there were four stores and a population of about 100 which were scattered between Leedy and the nearest town of Burnsville. In older times, this place had a community house where neighbors met for all kinds of friendly gatherings and nearby was one of three Primitive Baptist churches of the county, which bears the very unusual name of "Little Flock". Little Flock observed foot washing in May when the followers of that faith, who were numerous in the early days of Tishomingo County, gathered for their annual observance. Some of the old pioneer citizens of the county sleep in the old Little Flock Cemetery. Sardis and Cross Roads are the other two Primitive Baptist churches. Leedy is located near the Alcorn County line and only about eight miles from the Prentiss County line and was the geographical center of the Original Tishomingo County.
 

MSGenWeb logo

MSGenWeb Tishomingo Co. Coordinator: Jeff Kemp
 

 

USGenWeb logo