the 1940s, the school in the Holcut
Community was known as the Holcut
Consolidated School. At the beginning of
the century, however, it was known as the
New Lebanon School and was located near the
Will Crane place. From there it was moved
to the Willis Mil place. From that place,
it was transferred to the place known as the
“Schoolhouse.” While there, the first
teacher was John A. Trotter, and the first
board of trustees was W. A. Nixon, S. N.
Strickland, and Bill Gibson.
The school was later moved again to a place
owned by W. A. Nixon who gave one acre of
land and built the house. During the life
of the school at that location, it was known
as the Nixon School.
From that place, the school was moved to the
house that Huston McCoy occupied in 1940,
and it was again called the New Lebanon
School. Its first teacher at that location
was Miss Ora Nixon, and trustees were J. A.
Lambert, Tommie Strickland, and Jim Claunch.
Then in 1919, the school was moved to a
building which was located one-half mile
west of the village of Holcut on Highway
30. (In the 1940s, the building was used
for a teacherage.) There it remained until
1929. V. B. Smith was the first teacher and
J. A. Lambert, Tommie Strickland, and Jim
Claunch were the first trustees.
1929, there was a demand for a larger and
better building. So it was decided to erect
a beautiful well-equipped modern up-to-date
six-room brick building with a large
auditorium, office, and library to
accommodate all of the children of the
school district. The Holcut Consolidated
School District was a newly consolidated
district that had formerly been the New
Lebanon School District. Also included in
the Holcut Consolidated School District were
the Union Grove School and the Sardis
School. Prof. George Bacon, Miss Susie
Burns, Miss Verna Wade, and Miss Beatrice
Burns were the first teachers to teach in
that building. The board of trustees at
that time was G. T. Bingham, A. N.
Strickland, G. T. Lambert, Lon Weathers, and
W. R. Crane.
Source: Nabors, S. M. History of
Old Tishomingo County 1832-1940.
Contributed by Tishomingo County Historical
& Genealogical Society.