Gum Springs was one of the oldest settlements in the
southeastern part of present day Tishomingo County, named by the
early pioneers who settled there. The first school was known as
the Gum Springs School, the first Methodist church built became
known as Valley and the first Baptist church as Ebenezer.
In 1834 a post office was established and the first clerk was
W.T. Clark. The name shortly after that was changed to Belmont
Belmont meaning “beautiful mountain” named because of ht hills
due east of this area, the Freedom Hills, a long row of hills
stretching over into Alabama inhabited by a group of pioneer
citizen who exercised a freedom not known outside of its rugged
limits. During the Civil War the Battle of Shallow Wells was
Submitted by Kathy Everitt.