Farmington was founded about 1840. The voting precinct was
established in 1841, the officers were appointed for the
election as follows: Peter F. Boone, Thomas Cogdell and Samuel
K. Wiley. Benj. Bruton was the first postmaster, it required him
three days to make a trip from Farmington to Danville, this was
the day before improved roads. Before the Civil War, Farmington
was a trade center and one of the best schools ever founded in
the county is this town, Cross City (today known as Corinth) was
a very small village and Farmington was the most prominent town.
It was on the stage coach route from Memphis to Eastport. After
the war there was but little left since the Union forces
destroyed the town and today it is merely a consolidated school
district. When the Mobile and Ohio and the Memphis and
Charleston Railroad were built then Corinth had the advantage
over Farmington, thus it became extinct.