Eastport Baptist Church,
County Road 956
Directions: Near Bacon Springs, Tishomingo County,
The beginning of Eastport Missionary Baptist Church, as the
records indicate, was on September 30, 1908. The church
started with eight charter members ― five from Iuka and
three from New Salem ― who held a meeting to charter the new
church. The moderator was Rev. C. S. Wales, J. B. Skinner
was the church clerk, and W. L. Norman of Burnsville was
elected as the first pastor. The first services were held
in the Clements Chapel School until a building could be
On December 15, 1908, C. W. and A. B. Bacon deeded one-half
acre of land to begin construction on a new building. The
church joined the Tishomingo Baptist Association and remains
a member in good standing to this day.
The original building is still being used by the church
today, although some changes and improvements have been
made. Some of these include the addition of classrooms,
restrooms, central heat and air, aluminum siding,
underpinning, roof replacements, etc. After a new church
building was constructed, the old one was converted into a
fellowship hall and a kitchen was added; however, the
classrooms are still being utilized.
In 1972, with new job opportunities in the County and with
hopes of more people needing a place to worship, the church
decided to look into building a new modern building. In
June 1972, the first steps were taken. The church voted to
set up a building fund and took the first $2,000 from the
treasury to get started. The Lord blessed the church
congregation with many donations, and over the next few
years, the church and the building fund grew.
On March 19, 1978, a building committee was elected to get
plans drawn up, obtain bids from contractors, and oversee
the construction process. On September 13, 1978, a contract
was signed with Glidwell Bros. Construction. On September
24, after deciding new furniture was needed for the new
building, the building committee checked on new pews and
pulpit furniture. Almost immediately upon deciding to go
ahead with a purchase of new church furniture, the Lord
blessed the church and the money to pay for the furniture
was donated before the building was ever completed.
The new church sanctuary was dedicated on April 8, 1979.
Rev. G. D. Jones was pastor and held the service. During
the dedication service, everyone present lined the aisle,
held a rope in their right hand, and that piece was cut
between each person for them to keep for a memorial of that
great day. On March 21, 1982, after paying the banknote off
in record time, a note burning service was held in
remembrance of the final payment on the new facility.
Over the next several years, other improvements have been
made to both buildings and grounds surrounding them. The
Lord has truly blessed Eastport Baptist Church.
Eastport Baptist Church’s
In 1903, W. A. Jordan deeded three acres of land to be used
for Clement Chapel School. The deed was made to three board
members, C. A. Hill, T. A. Long, and T. W. Edwards. A
one-room school was built and used until 1954 when community
schools were consolidated and moved to Iuka. In 1969, the
church took action to acquire the land vacated by the school
to be used for a community cemetery. The deed was located,
and school board member, John Bachuss, gave it to the church
with the understanding that the property would be used for a
cemetery. In early 1970, a committee was formed and the
timber was sold. A blueprint was drawn up with 78 plots
with 8 graves each; this was a total of 624 graves.
Construction then began.
Jerry Booker made and installed the sign, and in the late
1970s, a dedicational service was held and Rev. George Bacon
preached the dedication sermon.
“Eastport Baptist Church to Celebrate 100 Years of Serving
God Thru Jesus Christ,” The Tishomingo County News (Iuka,
Miss.), August 7, 2008, page 5.
Contributed by Tishomingo County Historical & Genealogical
The task ahead of us is never as great as the
Power behind us.