L.R. Davis had previously named Dennis in honor of the New
Providence pastor. Being the postmaster and a highly respected
business man as well, L.R. Davis could be called “Mr. Dennis”
without fear of overstating the point. He was to be a dominating
force at Dennis until his death in 1942. In November 1907 L.R.
Davis, Belle Davis, Charles Flurry and Lillie Cleo Flurry
recorded the plat and map of the town of Dennis which John Henry
Clark had surveyed and laid out. In late 1907 L.R. Davis moved
the Dennis post office about a quarter of a mile northeast of
the old site and about 150 feet west of the railroad on the new
On September 4, 1908, the Village of Dennis was officially
incorporated with 130 residents. William H. Lindsey was the
first mayor; John C. Cornelius, marshall; and Ransom Young,
treasurer. Aldermen were: J.A. Byram, L.F. Sartain and R.F.
Flurry. Dr. Middleton M. Davis was the first practicing
Property for a school was deeded to Dennis Methodist trustees by
Willis M. and Harriet Davis in 1910.
Submitted by Kathy Everitt and Cindy Nelson.