Tishomingo County banner showing old citizen and old courthouse

Courtesy of the Tishomingo County Historical & Genealogical Society
Original files are housed in the John Marshall Stone Research Library
Tishomingo County Archives & History Museum
203 East Quitman Street
Iuka, MS 38852
Phone: 662-423-3500
E-mail:
tishomingohistory@yahoo.com
http://www.tishomingohistory.com

TCHGS COPYRIGHT NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the Internet, materials may be freely used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copiedmaterial, AND permission is obtained from the contributor of the file.These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other organizations. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for non-commercial purposes, MUST obtain the written consent of the contributor, OR the legal representative of the submitter, and contact the listed Tishomingo County Archives & Historical Society (TCHGS) with proof of this consent.
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Iuka Storms of 1909

From Tishomingo County Vidette, May 6, 1909

(Transcribed by Cindy Whirley Nelson)

The Storm -- The great storm that passed over the south Friday did not neglect Iuka. One strip passed through south Iuka, destroying the colored Baptist church and the unfinished Odd Fellows Hall, east of the Springs Park. This is the fourth time this church has been wrecked. First, in 1879 it was blown from where the colored school building now stands. Then, it was moved about one hundred yards east and rebuilt. Some years later, it was blown down again, rebuilt and afterwards struck by lightening. About 5 years ago (1904) it was carried entirely away with the exception of the flooring, parts of the building being found three miles from town. And this time, the wreckage is not as complete as heretofore, but the entire structure will have to be torn down before reconstruction is possible.

The Colored First Baptist Church of Belmont

(From Misc. Files)

The Colored First Baptist Church of Belmont that was located on the present Trentham place on Moore's Mill Road had a finance drive and all day singing with Tishomingo members on March 13, 1932. W.M. Keller gave the sermon, while topic discussion and singing were held in the afternoon. S.H. Hood was the Belmont pastor. John Ford was church superintendent and Maggie Lou Hood was church secretary. A cemetery was started near the church. In later years a storm destroyed the church.

MSGenWeb logo

MSGenWeb Tishomingo Co. Coordinator: Jeff Kemp

 

USGenWeb logo