Telephone Companies in
Iuka had a telephone exchange
that Mr. A. M. Gibson started, but he sold it to the Cumberland
Telephone Company on October 24, 1899, for the sum of $200.
On July 1, 1926, Southern Bell bought this exchange. There
were 37 customers at that time. The telephone exchange in
the very early 1900s was located upstairs in the rear of the red
brick building at the northwest corner of Front and Main
Streets, where the Cozy Corner Gift Shop is now located.
The office was reached by climbing up a long, steep stairway
from Main Street.
Southern Bell Telephone and
Telegraph Company was divided into two telephone companies in
1969, and this became South Central Bell Telephone and Telegraph
In 1979, the most modern
exchange—an electronic switching system—was installed in a new
building on Eastport Street. A new building to house the
construction and installation departments was finished in spring
Belmont had a telephone
exchange named The Union Telephone Company; it operated in the
old exchange building. Among the communities that the
company served were Belmont, Dennis, Golden, Moore’s Mill, Old
Bethel, New Bethel, Red Bay, Valley, and Pogo.
On October 8, 1919, the
Belmont Telephone Company was assigned a 25-year franchise, and
in December 1919, Copeland Telephone Company was granted a
franchise to operate and maintain a telephone system in Belmont.
In February 1921, Dr.
Copeland sold his entire telephone plant known as the Union—or
Copeland—Telephone Company at Belmont to V. L. Matthews and H.
information above was submitted to the Tishomingo County
Archives & History Museum by Kathy Everitt of Iuka, Mississippi.