circa 1900
Downtown Dumas looking south...on the right is the Methodist
Church...
Looks like Sunday after services.
a special thanks goes to Nick Hughey for providing this picture.
Dumas was established in 1840,and named after Jackson Deberry Dumas, one of Tippah County's first settlers. Mr. Dumas owned and operated the first post office in Dumas.
The town is located at the crossroads of MS
Highway
370, the Nathan Bedford Forrest Memorial Highway, and a paved county
road.
This is the route that the Yankees took trying to catch General Nathan
Bedford Forrest during the Civil War at the time of the Battle at
Brice's Crossroads. Sturgis and his men made themselves at home
in
Dumas staying at Stubbs Plantation while they waited on Forrest and his
troups.
The Stubb's Plantation house was reported to
quite grand, with two and a half stories. The top floor had a
banquet
hall most often used for weddings and social gatherings. The town
once sported quite a few Victorian Style homes, a school, a doctors
office,
post office and quite a few stores. Today, all that remains is a
small community with a couple of stores and a restaurant.
Davis' Store
(late 1900's)
This picture was copied from an old tin-type
and restored. If you have any information on this establishment
please
send it in.
© 2002-2006, by Melissa McCoy-Bell. All rights reserved.