Located three miles south of Arkabutla
From WPA Records
Sullivan School was established three miles south of Arkabutla in the year of 1880.
People living in the community saw the need of a school near the children and bought a lot from Mr. Sullivan and the school was named for him.
The school consisted of thirty five or forty pupils, some of who were the Lusk, Sullivan, and Acree children.
Mr. Sullivan's home was about one hundred and fifty yards from the building and furnished the school water from his well.
Some of the teachers were: Lott Thompson, Captain Bradley, Miss. Grace O'Stein, and Miss. Jennie Hatcher. They first received $28.00 per month.
An old fire place was used to heat the building.
Mr. Make (?) Brown bought the place twenty years ago (20 years prior to 1936) and tore the building away. The school was consolidated with Arkabutla.
(Source of information Mr. And Mrs. W. W. May)
Updated February 29, 2012
Tate County Coordinators: Syble
Embrey & Marie Carlton
All rights reserved. Copyright of submitted items belongs to those responsible for their authorship or creation unless otherwise stated.
Return To Schools