Located at Strayhorn
From WPA Records
Strayhorn School was first located between where the Floyd and Taylor homes were located in 1936. The school was a log house in a large grove. Major Mettley taught this school some of the first pupils were: Pink Bizzell, Ida Witter, Joe Brownlee, Alice Irby, F. E. Cotten, Henry Bizzell, Ora Bizzell, Lrkin Johnson, T. D. Dloyd, and Jim Williams.
The school was moved to where the Bizzell house stood. Mr. Charles Pace was the teacher. The school building burned and one was built where the Taylor home was in 1936. Mr. S. T. Clayton was the first teacher. Some of the other teachers were: Mr. Jim Holder; Mr. Frank Bizzell, and Miss Alice Rogers.
The next school was where the Phillips home was in 1936. Mr. Frank Bizzell, Miss Ora Bizzell, Mr. T. S. Eason, and Mr. Rice were the teachers. The school was consolidated in 1918 and a new building was erected.
(Source of information Mrs. Ida Pearson)
Updated February 29, 2012
Tate County Coordinators: Syble
Embrey & Marie Carlton
All rights reserved. Copyright of submitted items belongs to those responsible for their authorship or creation unless otherwise stated.
Return To Schools