Rock Hill School
Located on the Memphis-Oxford Road (Now HWY 305), one mile south of the Desoto County Line.
From WPA Records
Rock Hill School was established in 1902 and was located on the Memphis-Oxford Road, one mile south of the Desoto County line.
The first teacher in the school was Clyde Morgan. Effie Eaverson and Cora Greer followed her as teachers.
Mr. F. M. Embry (Embrey), one of the patrons who was most interested in education helped to found and build the shcool. Others who took a great interest were: Cecil Thompson, D. A. Merrell, Jim Dean, Will Anglin, Jeff Harris, Robert Moore and Joe White.
A list of students are: Mervin (Marvin) Anglin, Wade Anglin, Chester White, Mary Lea White, Willie White, Jeff Davis Harris, Fred Harris, Edna McNeeley, Herman Dean, Janie Dean, and Hattie Dean.
This school was a small one room frame building made of rough lumber. The seats were the old timey puncheon seats and all the school equiptment which was none scarcely, was in harmony with the seats.
This school was consolidated in 1925 with other small schools nearby and moved to Greenleaf.
By having this school in the community, there was a stronger interest in community welfare and activies.
Rock Hill School was also used for Church services.
(Source of information Homer Scott)
Updated February 27, 2012
County Coordinators: Syble Embrey & Marie Carlton
All rights reserved. Copyright of submitted items belongs to those responsible for their authorship or creation unless otherwise stated.
Return To Schools