Located about one mile and a half north of Woolfolk
From WPA Records
Midway was a small school located about one mile and a half north of present little place of Woolfolk. This was so named because it was in the center of the community and was organized there to accomodate the most children. It stood where the Baptist Church now stands. (in 1936)
Mr. Woolfolk, a graduate of the University of Virginia, organized the school and taught there for the first several years.
Some of the patrons: Mr. Gidd Wynn; Mr. Henshaw; the Diffees; Billingsleys; and a few others who had children to attend.
Late in 1886, the school was moved to Woolfolk. Some of the later teachers were: Miss. Dorcus Montgomery; Helen Howard; and Mrs Lockett Lewers.
(Source of information Mrs. Locket Pack)
Updated February 29, 2012
Tate County Coordinators: Syble
Embrey & Marie Carlton
All rights reserved. Copyright of submitted items belongs to those responsible for their authorship or creation unless otherwise stated.
Return To Schools