Tate County And The Civil War


Insofar as the City of Senatobia and Tate County are concerned, the War between the States must be discussed in two spheres - events within the county intself and events outside the county in which Tate County people were involved. Events which happened and occurred within the county are discussed first.

Although many battles were fought in Mississippi during the War between the States, Tate County was spared any major battles for several reasons. The main reason being that the Federal forces were concerned primarily with destroying the garin belt of Mississippi in the northeastern part of the State in the vicinity of Okolona and the Prairie Belt, and all major Federal invasions into North Mississippi were launched in that direction. Another reason was that Tate County was not considered a stategic strong point.

From written documents left by Dr. French, we know that the Federal forces raided Senatobia at least four times. The raiding forces probably came from Memphis on each occasion. The first raid took place on April 29, 1862. The second raid was on May 9, 1863. The third raid was made on May 22, 1863 at which time the major part of the city was burned by the Federal troops. Dr. French records that his store building and goods were completely destroyed. The fourth and last raid, according to the records of Dr. French, took place on June 26, 1863. Undoubtedly, many other raids or patrol skirmish actions took place in and about Senatobia.

The City of Memphis fell to Federal forces early in the war and the only effective resistance to the Federal forces south of Memphis consisted primarily of the forces of General Nathan Bedford Forrest who had command of the North Mississippi Military District and Western Tennessee Military District insorfar as cavalry forces were involved. General Forrest established his main defense line south of the Tallahatchie River below Senatobia and running northeast to the vicinity of Holly Springs and Corinth. This left the territory between this line of defense and the City of Memphis open territory, more or less, during most of the war and both sides sent patrols into the territory on frequent occasions. The second and third Federal raids on Senatobia were, according to Dr. French, commanded by a General Hatch. This General Hatch was undoubtedly General Edward Hatch of the Second Iowa Cavalry. General Hatch occupied the Town of Oxford at one time during the War between the States and was noted for his brutality as his burning of Senatobia will attest. He was further noted for his ability and inclination to be elsewhere when advised that General Forrest was in the vicinity.

Senatobia is very prominently mentioned by General Nathan Bedford Forrest's biographers in connection with his famous raid on the City of Memphis on August 21, 1864. The raid was motivated by the fact that the Federal forces had concentrated at Abbeyville, just North of Oxford, for a drive south. General Forrest then determined to lead a picked detachment of his command, and by a sudden coup de main, threaten, if not capture, Memphis in order to force General Smith (the Commander of Federal forces at Abbeyville) to withdraw for the defense of the city. At 5:00 P.M. on August 18, 1864, Forrest left Oxford with 1500 officers and men and 4 artillery pieces in a heavy, pelling rain. It had been raining for some time and the streams were greatly swollen and Forrest had to go by way of Panola in Panola County, Mississippi. He marched all night of the 18th hauling the artillery by hand and reached Panola by 7:00 A.M. on the 19th. Here his forces was reduced by 100 men, and the march was resumed about 10:00 A.M. over roads knee deep with mud and water. By the time the command reached Senatobia, 23 miles northward of Panola, Forrest saw that his animals were so worn out that it was prudent to go no further that day. He spent the night at Senatobia and, on the morning of the 20th, upon learning that it would be necessary to bridge Hickahala Creek, a deep stream then 60 feet wide and very deep, he spread detachments over the intermediate country to collect the lumber of cotton gin houses. At the creek he found a small, narrow, flat boat about 20 feet long but no other means of ferrying whatsoever. He then constructed a bridge by making a strong cable of grape vines and fastening the vines to a tree on each side of the stream. He then used telegraph poles as pontoons and the bridge was built in little more that 60 minutes. His men crossed in columns of two's and the horses were led over. Another birdge of like kind had to be built across the Coldwater River double the length of the one at Hickahala and this was done in 3 hours. General Forrest returned from the successful raid by way of Senatobia.

Lt. Col. Frank A. Montgomery, of the First Mississippi Cavalry, states that he was ordered to Senatobia in May, 1862 from Tupelo with 4 companies of the Regiment and to cooperate at Senatobia with Brig. Gen. M. Jeff Thompson of the Missouri State Guards. General Thompson had a large number of Indians in his command. Col. Montgomery stated that he marched to the Mississippi and Tennessee Railroad, which was then still open from Grenada to Senatobia, and camped at Senatobia. The next morning General Thompson rode into camp and had with him one Indian. Col. Montgomery established a camp two miles north of Senatobia at Hickahala Creek and remained there for several weeks. His orders were to screen all refugees from Memphis passing through his lines and those persons attempting to travel to Memphis. Col. Montgomery records that Mrs. Galloway, the wife of the editor of the Memphis Appeal, passed through his lines as a refugee from Memphis. General Thompson was camped north of the Creek with his command. Col. Montgomery states that, upon another occasion (the exact date is not given), while in command of 8 companies, he came in contact with a federal regiment commanded by the famous Col. Grierson in the Coldwater bottoms just south of the Coldwater River and almost due south of Hernando. He states that after a brisk fight with Col. Grierson's regiment that he managed to drive Grierson's regiment back north of the Coldwater River, but that he was unable to follow up as Col. Grierson destroyed the bridge. Col. Grierson is the Federal general who lead his regiment on a raid from La Grange, Tennessee through the State of Mississippi to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and which raid was commemorated in a recent movis entitled "The Horse Soldiers" in which actor John Wayne portrayed the famous Col. Grierson.

We now discuss the role of Tate County and Senatobia people in events which transpired and took place primarily outside of the county. Much valuable information is furnished in this connection by the diary of Captain R. W. Locke of Thyatira. Captain Locke states that a company was formed on March 1, 1861 at Senatobia and that L. O. B. Crockett was elected Captain. Several companies were formed in Tate County. The first such company was "The Invincibles" organized at Senatobia on February 14, 1860. O. F. West was the first captain of the Invincibles. This company was sent first to the vicinity of Pensacola, Florida - then to Cumberland Gap- then back to Senatobia where the company was re-organized under W. A. Feeney, Captain, L. G. Woolard, 1st Lt., and R. F. Ward, 2nd Lt. The reorganized company then was sent to Virginia where L. G. Woolard took over as Captain. The other officers and members of "The Invincibles" were listed as follows:

"First Lt. V. Walker; Second Lt. W. A. Rankin; Third Lt. Richard Baker; First Sgt. R. W. Locke; Second Sgt. W. H French; Third Sgt. J. E. Norfleet; Fourth Sgt. H. M. Harris; Fifth Sgt. James H. Maxville; First Corporal T. H. Hancock; Second Corporal W. T. Price; Third Corporal L. J. Wallace; Fourth Corporal Alex Cathey.

The Privates were:

John C. Anglin, John C. Baker; William Bowen; M. L. Cathey; (for whom W. H. Smith acted as substitute); Francis M. Caroway; Whit Carter; W. H. Cabler; R. E. Cason; M. S. Duncan; Josiah A. Daily; Jas. S. Daily; A. M. Doan; W. W. Graham; John N. Graham; William Graham; J. T. Hollowell; J. H. Hudson; Thos. Hudson; W. R. Harper; E. W. Ingram; A. C. Ingram; John Ingram; F. M. Jones. B. A. Jones; J. W. Jones; J. W. Jacobs; M. D. L. Jackson; James Kersey; R. J. Kersey; J. H. Lea Lafayette; L. L. McCrackin; G. A. Martin; John A. McNelly; J. T. Moore; W. G. McCurry; Tamsel Meacham; William McPeters; J. G. Newsom; L. R. Neal' A. W. Newton; J. M. Scott; M. C. Sowell; David Smith; J. A. Smith; J. E. Smith; G. D. Smith; Stephan Scruggs (in whose place Ford Smith acted as substitute); J. A. Spencer; W. R. Geagle; R. W. Gese; John J. Thomlin; B. M. Trainan; J. H. Wallace; John E. Wallace; Calvin Woodsell; Phil White; D. E. White; W. G. Flin joined at Hernando, W. G. House at Corinth."

This company was sent to Pensacola, Florida and then on to Cumberland Gap, Tennessee. We are unable to follow this company any further than Cumberland Gap as the then First Sgt. R. W. Locke was sent back to Tate County for the purpose of organizing another copany. Mr. Locke returned to Buck Snort and there organized a company of which he was elected captain. This company was then sent to Virginia where it became Company D. of the famous 42nd Mississippi Regiment. This regiment was in the brigade of Joseph R. Davis (nephew of the president), a part of Heth's Division, A. P. Hill's Corps, of Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia. The reorganized "Invincibles" formed company B of this regiment under Captain Woolard. Another Tate Countian, First Lt. Robert F. Ward, was a member of Company I of this Regiment. In April, 1864, under orders of General Robert E. Lee, a picked company of men form the 42nd Regiment was chosen as sharpshooters and Lt. Ward was selected to command the company. Some indea of the fighting done by this company is reflected in the fact that every man of the original company was either killed or wounded. Lt. Ward was wounded three times during the war. Captain Woollard, another Tate Countian, commanded a company in the 42nd Mississippi Regiment.

The 42nd Mississippi Regiment went through some of the most vicious and hard fighting during the War between the States. The regiment fought in the Battles of the Wilderness, at Spottsylvania, at Petersburg, at Cold Harbor, at Gettysburg and in many other battles, and was with General Robert E. Lee at the end of the war. During the Battle of the Wilderness the division of which the 42nd Mississippi Regiment formed a part (Heth's Division) alone held in check 6 Federal Divisions for the greater part of one day in order to allow the main Confederate force to withdraw to new positions. During the summer of 1864, while in the trenches around Petersburg, the 42nd Mississippi Regiment often numbered only 90 men for duty out of a normal strength of over 2,000. The above facts are cited to show the great privation, hardships, and fighting which this famous regiment, composed of many Tate Countains, underwent. Historians rate this regiment as one of the most effective fighting units in General Lee's command.

On July 28, 1863, Captain Locke listed the following as killed, wounded, and missing in his company:

Killed: Lt. George Adrian Hozwe; Sgt. Joshua Adkins; Sgt. Lafayette Morgan.

Wounded: Captain R. W. Locke; Corporal Anderson; Corporal Whit Carter; Private P. English - shot in leg; George McEvanson - wounded in leg and head; James M. Farrow - wounded in arm; L. P. Hancock - wounded in arm; W. L. Hancock - leg shot off; E. W. Ingram - shoulder wound;  Ingram- leg shot off below knee; Luke Johnson - leg wound; William L. Kerr- hand wound; R. C. Kersey - hand wound; F. R. King - captured; W. A. McCall - arm broken; J. H. McCurry; C. W. Ruby - leg off below knee; Jacob Sansom - arm broken; Henderson Sowell - slight wound in head; Willis C. Sullivan - head; John Pinkney Thompson - foot; Perry H. Walker - knee joint; H. M. Wall - slight wound in leg; B. M. White - arm broken - died; W. F. Wilson - left eye shot out;

Missing: Sgt. W. H,. Smith; Corporal W. M. Cason; Robert P. Brown- returned safe; Mitchell N. Beinfind; William H. Cannon - died at Gettysburg wound; Joseph W. M. Lain - never heard of; Robert E. Cason - prisoner got back safe; John Sanovisa - died at Gettysburg wound; R. J. F. Wilson - never heard of."

From the foregoing, it is evident that Tate County sent many soldiers to the Confederate forces, and, considering the population of Tate County at that time, our county was very well represented both as to number and quality.

Note: Another list of officers and other members of the Invincibles are:

L. G. Woollard, Capt.; R. F. Ward, Lst Lt.; J. W. Godfray, 2nd Lt.; B. F. W 3rd Lt.; L. W. Pearce Lst Sgt.; S. L. Walker 2nd Sgt.; J. C. McNeely 3rd Sgt.; J. G. Wha 4th Sgt.; B. F. Hall 5th Sgt.; S. M. Woollard Lst Corp.; Jas Terry 2nd Corp.; W. B. Bradley 3rd Corp.; J. W. Powell 4th Corp.;

Bunn, J. A.; Bradley, J. M.; Burns, T. J.; Blasingame, J. W.; Britten, L. C.; Cannon, H.; Campbell, M. R.; Cabler, W. H.; Coppage, J. S.; Coppage, J. G.; Cannon, W. H.; Conley, N.; Chisholm, W. E.; DeShazo, D. M.; DeShazo, Eli; Deshazo, J. M.; Dement, J. T.; Downs, W. K.; Dollahite, R. B.; Embrey, W. A.; Freeze, J. A.; Fairless, W. K.; Green, J. M.; Hall, T. B.; Hall, R. A.; Harris, M. M.; Hunter, J. W.; Haynes, J. A.; Johnson, L. A.; Leonard, S. H.; Loofman, R. A.; Mitchell, W. B.; Mitchell, S.; Moore, J. W.; Moore, J. S.; Moore, J. A.; McFadden, T. P.; Miller, J. A.; Miller, J. T.; Miller, C. E.; McDade, J. C.; McIntosh, J. M.; Maddox, C. H.; Norfleet, J. S.; Osteen, J. L.; Poag, J. W.; Powell, T. O.; Patton, W. J.; Patton, J. M.; Phillips, R. S.; Quinn, Wm.; Rowell, S. B.; Ridgeway, A. C.; Robinson, D. L.; Robinson, R. W.; Robertson, L. G.; Steele, J. T.; Saunders, J. S.; Singleton, G. W.; Singleton, J. C.; Scott, Jno.; Scott, W. B.; Scott, E. M.; Scott, J. W.; Smith, W. W.; Swann, W. E.; Terry, W. C.; Veazey, W. J.; Williams, J. D.; Williams, T. J.; White, R. T.; White, H. H.; Warren, W. T.; Yarborough, J. N.; McNeeley, J. A.; Lyons, J. N.

Sketch on Captain L. Guy Woollard:

Captain L. Guy Woollard was deservedly popular with his company. Winning the love and admiration of his men, they yielded a cheerful obedience to his commands, under any and all circumstances, without the exercise on his part of strict military discipline. In the battle of Gettysburg, while gallantly leading his company, he and about thirty of his men were captured and were imprisoned on Johnson's Island, Lake Erie, and at Ft. Delaware twenty-one months, until March 21, 1865, not reaching home until about the 1st of July following. From close confinement and the rough treatment of prison life soon after he as imprisoned, Captain Woollard lost his health, which he never afterward regained.

Instead of resuming his law practice he sought the office of probate clerk of De Soto County, Mississippi, in October, 1865, and for the proper discharge of its duties he possessed eminent qualifications. In 1867 he married Miss Mary Elizabeth Boyce, near Senatobia, Mississippi. In 1872, with the hope of recovering his health, he moved with his family to Luka Springs, Mississippi which prolonged his life of suffering a short while. Returning to Senatobia, he died September 15, 1874, at 39 years of age, in full triumph of Christian faith. His widow, Mrs. M. E. Woollard, resides in Senatobia, Mississippi, and her son George is in business in Memphis. D. Boyce Woollard married Miss Annie Staton of Senatobia, Mississippi, and is manager of the C. B. Clark place, at Clarkton, Crittenden County, Arkansas. L. Guy, Jr., resides in Larrantine, Texas. Douglas D., the younger of the four sons, has had for several years a position in the I.C.R.R.

Exerps from a journel of events and incidents as they came to the observation of the Senatobia Invincibles, commencing March 23, 1861

The Invincibles, a volunteer company, organized at Senatobia in DeSoto County, MIssissippi, on February 14, 1860, for the avowed purpose of protecting the rights and honor of the Southern States... were called out by the Governor of the State to answer a requisition of the President of the Confederate States, ordered to rondezvous at Hernando on March 21, and started the next day for Pensacola, Florida, in company with the Irrespresibles from Hernando under command of Lieutenant White; the DeSoto Guards from Bucksnort, Capt. Crockett; the Horn Lake Volunteers, Capt Fortner; and all under command of Capt J. R. Chalmers, acting colonel of the 9th Regiment.

...(The troops) arrived at Mobile March 29, 1861. Excited, but very little attention from the Mobilians, who seemed to be too much occupied with pecuniary affairs to attend their political interests...

April 3, took boat for Pensacola ... up the Tensaw River, waded a pretty raveen of water ... and pitched tents nearby. The next morning ... marched eight miles and stopped. Boys found a house where whiskey growed, at least that is what they called the mixture of stagnate water, tobacco juice, strycnine, and spoilt speilt copperas which they brought in their canteens ... (They boys began foraging, so) Gen. Mott received or pretended to receive orders from Montgomery to hasten on rapidly to Pensacola.

Started next morning at sun up, and at the same time the hardest rain I ever saw fall started to. Wind blew and rain beat in the boys' faces, but no remedy. Pickens had to be taken. Soon the road was full of water and mud, some lagoons waist deep. Pitched camp at Mills, or Perdide River. We had marched eighteen miles in quick time, raining incessantley all day. A great many broke down on the road and had to be brought in by rear guard; some fainted from exhaustion after they got to camp, while others were saved from a like fate by the timely administration of a full dose of Red Eye ... some chickens, eggs, and a pig got into camp that night, and the owner was so generous he did not get any pay for them ... Took steam boat for the Navy yard at Warrington, marched through to camp near the lighthouse on the beach ...

April 8, Began early to fix up camp ... and named our town "Camp Davis." Nothing strange until about the 12th the election came off. Capt. J. R. Chalmers of the Irrepressibles, Hernando, elected Colonel over Col. Kit Mott; A. R. Bowd elected Major, formerly Captain, Senatobia Invincibles; Jas. L. Autre elected Lieutenant Colonel. Orderly Sergeant G. B. Wright was elected Captain of the Irrepressibles over First Lieutenant White. Wright's friends were willing that White should be elected Captain (but objected to 3rd Lt. Banks' being a 1st Lt) ... Wright, feeling that the oposition was due White on account of his many valuable services to the company, resigned. White was then elected Captain and Wright first Lieutenant. O. F. West, 2nd Lt., was elected Captain of the Invincibles. J. M. S. Jones elected 2nd Lt ...

(A mutiny almost broke out when a report that the boys were to be mustered in to service for three years was started. Chalmers and Bowd pacified the men. There were not enough rifles, and the sl=oldiers were supplied muskets, which pleased the men because of the many uses to which the bayonett could be put. An attempt, under Captain Harris, was made to capture Fort Pickens, but Bragg ordered the Confederates to retire without firing a shot after the Federal landed large reinforcements from their vessels.)

Fearing now that the fight might begin, our regiment was moved a little further off from the beach and gopher holes dug for the men to burrow in when chnnon balls should commence rolling through camp ... and every night for a week two or three whole companies had to stand picket on the beach ...

April 25, Jno. S. Jones was appointed Quarter Master and the long-deferred race for 2nd Lt. came off between myself and Wm. Atkinson. I had the good fortune to be elected...

Col. Chalmers told his officers that he wanted twenty men armed with repeaters and swords to go with him on an expedition to sink some vessels in the Channel near Pickens to keep the vessels from coming into the bay when the engagement should begin ... started about midnight. Old bridge with masts cut down and three smaller craft all filled with stones and chained together, two steamers towing crew drunk. Took them out between Pickens and McKie, vessels shuttled ...

September 20, 1861. Bragg, new Major General, with Bridadier Gens. Anderson and Ruggles, review the whole army under his command, seven thousand infantry, two hundred artillery, and two hundred cavalry. Weather very hot and seven men fell dead on the field from sun stroke. Col. A. H. Gladden acting Brigadier ...

Oct. 13. I went to hospital, having been sick about two days, remained there ten days more, and went home on a 20-day furlough. Enjoyed the trip finely, health improved rapidly, and on my return was on the train of cars which came so near being destroyed by the burning of the bridges near Chatanooga on the Western and Atlantic RR by the Union men of Tennessee. Got to Pensacola safely before my time was out (again Lt. Woolard became ill, went to the hosptial, which was bombarded durning his stay. The bombardment had been commenced by the enemy on our boates and the Navy yard and continued two days, being broken off then by the Yankees, whom Gen. Bragg concluded had suffered considerable from the Condederates)...

During the bombardment, our Regimental Camp was exposed to the bursting of shells, and it was amusing to all the boys moving their games of poker when a piece of shell would fall near them. After the fight began to get rather old, the boys, who at first abandoned their cards, went back to their games again. Ever since the fight ceased, there has been a pretty good business in the way of plundering the deserted houses in Warrington...

Jan. 1, 1862. Chirstmas has passed off very quietly and very dull. No parties--no nog, in fact no nothing, except one round of duties dull and insipid )though the monotony was relieved by another bombnardment by the Federals).

The time of enlistment for many men was now up, and Lt. Wollard tried in vain to get Company II to reinlest. His company, being reduced in member, was put in Company K under Capt. White. The 9th transferred to the 2nd Brigade under Col. J. Patton Anderson in Tennessee. They spent some time in Deer Point, had a hard five-day trip before arriving at Knoxville, and then proceded to Morristown, and from there to Cumberland Gap for an expected attack. Snow and cold rain for five weeks prevented battle.

Lt. Woolard found the country around here most desirable and the majority of people ignorant and degraded.. They refused to enlist in the srvice of the Confederacy; instead they skulped obout among the mountains, acted as spies to the Yankees and as bush-whackers to fall upon small parties of our scouts from their ambush and slay them as brutishly as they do their hogs.

March 14. Two companies of ours left. Ours and Capt. Harris' B Company were sent under Capt. Harris to the Kentucky side of the mountain and quartered in a dilapidated old tavern building where, it is said John Al. Murrel stole goods from a peddlar, his first crine, on which probably turned his whole future life... In this house our pickets had frequently been surprised and captured or killed, and, consequent6ly, we all felt that we might be attacked at any time...Remained at this camp till the 18th, when we joined K Regiment, and started with a force of three or four thousand under General Kirby Smith to Faircastle, where it was reported the Yankees were crossing the Mountain.

On this morning, S. H. Miller, a member of our company - - a relative by marriage of both Lt. Feeney and myself - - died. I ...startede the corpse home under the care of J. A. Miller...Hemp Miller, as we all called him, was exteemed by all who knew him, and justly so, for he was a good soldier, a social associate, and a kind and faithful friend.

Return from Faircastle on the 20th....Artillery firing commenced. Lt. Feeney being sick, I command the company; Capt. White hd not been with us since we left Morristown.

As we ascend the mountain, the Minnie Balls and rifled cannon balls passed through the gap and over our heads...Just before night ordered u again to lay in entrenchments, where we did lay all night in snow, mud, and water without fires...but next morning all but a few Yankees had disappeared, which few skidaddled at the report of one of our pieces artillery..well, on the 23, no Yankees being found near, we again made preparations to start home, which we did do on the next day, the 24th. Reached Knoxville on the 27th - - had some difficulty in getting pay - - finally got one month's pay for officers and two months' pay for men. Passed Bragg's Army at Corinth on the 31th and stayed in Memphis that night...

We spent a few leisure days in visiting till about the 10th of April. We commenced trying to get our cmpany re-organized to go up to Corinth to take part in the second battle which was looked for there - - the first having been fought there or near there - - Shiloh - - on the 8th, 9th...we got up another company and organized it partially by electing W. A. Fennery, Captain on the 9th and L. G. Woolard, 1st Lt., and R. F. Ward, 2nd Lt. on the 10th of May 1862.

On the 12th of May, 1862, there was a large concourse of friends and relations assembled to bid us a long farewell. We started and reached Grenada, Mississippi, that night about ten o'clock. Camped in the wood near town without tents for several days. We went to Grenada for the purpose of joining a regiment then being formed there by Dr. Hillery Mosely. We found Judge Hugh R. Miller there also trying to get up a regiment...we finally made a compromise by choosing Judge MIller a colonel and Dr. Mosely as Lt. Colonel. On the 14th, we mustered  into the service by Miller for a term of three years or during the war, and on the same day...John W. Godfrrey was elected 2nd Lt. On the 10th, went to Oxford. On the 17th, we elected Miller, Colonel; Mosely, Lt. Colonel; Capt. W. A. Feeney, Major,; Lt. L. G. Woolard was promoted to the captaincy of the Invincibles, the other Lts. rising in like manner, B. F. Whain, acting O. S. was elected Jr. 2nd Lt...(the people of Oxford were very kind to the soldiers). One family i must mention as being very kind to us, a Mr. Eadees, a merchant of Oxford.

About this time, Col. Miller procured an order to take his regiment to Richmond, Virginia.

We arrived on the 3rd day of July, and camped at Camp Lee in the New Fairgrounds. In a few days, a heavy detail was made from the Regiment to guard Yankee prisoners at the famous Libby Prison and the remainder of my company with two others were detailed to patrol the city of Richmond to arrest stragglers from the army, both officers and privates.

Nov. 14. Our compaines were preparing to take the cars for Fredericksburg, Va., under Maj. Feeney. The companies were A, B, D, and H, commanded by Capts. A. M. Nelson, L. G. Woolard, R. W. Locke, and Powell respectively...about 3 o'clock in the morning we took the cars for Fredricksburg (Here the soldiers were under fire from the Federals and acquitted themsleves well. Capt. Woolard's detachment was kept on picket duty for five days of cold and rain, in easy gun shot of the enemy. The noble women of Fredericksburg supplied the men with food at this time. General Lee's Army arrived, to the dismany of the Yankees, who thought they had beaten Lee. No prospect of a fight appearing, the Regiment was ordered to return to Richmond.)

Dec. 13, 1862. Regiment left on short notice and marched through city...and on the 15th took cars for Goldsboro, N. C. )The first section of the diary continues through March 4, 1863, the last part dealing with various troop movements through North Carolina.)

The above information was found in the manscript for "The Senatobia Cenntenial" published in 1960. No further information is known.

This link might be helpful to those researching the Civil War. It's a huge collection of reference guides for the Civil War...lots of educational resources. Submitted by Ms. Brooke Pierce Brooke@tutorsindelaware.com

In 1908 P. M. B. Wait hosted a Reunion for Companies B & G in Senatobia. An account of this reunion was published in The Senatobia Democrat. This article was published in Tate Trail Vo. XIII, No. 2, June 1995. Information from this list was published in "Confederate Deaths & Other Confederate Records" compiled by Marie Haven Carlton. 

(1908 Senatobia, Mississippi)

One of the most historical and enjoyable occasions that has been held within the borders of this Grand Old Commonwealth, was the reunion here last Saturday, of Companies B and G of Wirt Adams' regiment.

Saturday morning the business section was adorned in national colors and every Citizen was eager to do honor to the heroes of the Lost Cause or hear from the lips of a soldier who knew no fear - some historical happenings of his eventful career from 1861-1865.

This reunion was given to the survivors of these companies by Col. P. M. B. Wait. Mr. Wait invited these veterans who are his neighbors to spend the day with the comrades of these companies. His only regret is he could not provide for every veteran in the country and every citizen of his town.

At 9 a.m. the invited guest assembled at the home of Col. Wait and registered. Horses and carriages were in readiness and Marshall of the day, T. P. Hill, requested that the line of march be formed. Every veteran present mounted and those who were not able to ride horse back were provided with a carriage. The procession was headed by Marshall Lowery and he was followed by Col. and Mrs. Wait in a carriage. The mounted Veterans followed by two's. This sight was a realistic picture of how the Confederates appeared in the dark days of "61-65". After marching over the principal residential streets of the town the parade proceeded through the business section where patriotic colors met their eyes and every Citizen announcing his welcome to the heroes of Gray. The procession returned to the home of Col. Wait, and the soldiers and friends assembled in the beautiful front yard at Miss. Minnie Still's home.

Here under the beautiful forest trees, Comrade P. M. B. Wait, delivered the address of welcome and T. P. Hill and J. R. Puryear, delivered addresses in response to the address of welcome. Capt. Shinault and Dr. Ruffin made informal addresses.

At this juncture Comrade J. R. Puryear held in his hand the flag that Company B followed through the war. This flag was made by Mrs. Love,  of Looxahoma and presented to the Company on July 21, 1861. She was present and stood by the side of the flag while Mr. Puryear told to its historical career.

At 1 p.m. dinner was announced. This part of the program was not consistent with the meals that the Confederate Soldiers were usually served during the war. After the 100 seats were occupied the Lord's blessing was asked by Rev. A. T. Cinnamond. The table was beautifully decorated and heavily laden.

At about 3 o'clock the guest of Col. Wait's reunion went to Nendifor Park where United States Senator A. J. McLaurin delivered the principal address of the day.

At the appointed hour Senator McLaurin was introduced to the audience by Rev. J. T. Murrah, who presented this distinguished statesman in a few well chosen words. Senator McLaurin spoke for an hour and in the main showed the cause of the Confederacy was just. He urged that future generations be taught the cause of the Confederacy. That it was founded upon justice and would never die. He discussed many incidents that lead up to the war and showed that slavery was not the cause of the war but the occasion of the war. He paid a high tribute to the noble and loyal women of the south during these trying days. He mentioned the fact that the Confederates were not whipped, though they fought against the Yankees on a basis of 4 to 1, they were overpowered and not whipped when they surrendered. The Union's reserve was inexhaustible; foreigners were brought to this country and placed upon the battlefield who had no malice against the foe, but was fighting for the "almighty dollar" alone.

Mrs. Ramsey presented the Veterans a handsome bouquet of roses. For this timely gift a vote of thanks was extended to the lady by the Warriors.


Company B was organized and mustered into service July 21, 1861. The Company went from here to Memphis and camped about where Forest's monument now stands (1908). It was organized into a regiment by Col. Wirt Adams. This regiment was not given a number because it was made up of two companies from Alabama, two from Louisiana and balance for Mississippi. The Company marched from Memphis to Kentucky and went into winter quarters. T. J. Lewers was Captain of the Company F. Another Company was needed to complete the regiment Capt. G. O. Haines and Jim Ruffin were sent home to raise another Company. Company G was organized and commanded by Capt. G. O. Haines. It joined the Adams regiment at Bowling Green, Ky., and engaged in its first fight at Shiloh. This Company went to Corinth, Vicksburg, Port Gibson, Grand Gulf, Baker Creek or Champion Hill, Jackson, Miss., and surrendered under Forest at Gainesville, Ala. May 5, 1865.

Forest's regiment was next to the last to surrender and fought the last small fight that was fought by the Confederates, which occurred at Sispsey River, in Alabama. One of the most prominent engagements of Company G was at Port Gibson. The Company was the advance guard under Capt. Haynes. The charge was made on the 2nd N. J. , Calvary. The N. J., regiment was driven back; 27 men were killed, 30 men, a number of horses, the regiment and two battle flags were captured. Col. Wait joined this Company at the age of 14. There are only four living members of the Company and three of them were at the reunion Saturday. Viz: R. T. Haley Arkabutla; J. H. Arnold Memphis Tenn.; P. M. B. Wait Senatobia; J. J. Haynes of Memphis a member of the Company, was not present.

Mr. Wait was a private and throughout the war stood in the ranks that rendered that service that has made the world honor and respect the Confederate Soldier.


It was impossible to get a complete list of Company G at the time it was mustered into service, but the following is a list of the Company at the surrender:

Roll of Co. G, Calvary, G. O. Haynes, Captain, Miss. Volunteers, March 1, 1865.

G. O. Haynes, Captain; J. M. Love, 1st Lieut; J. O. Barbee, 2nd Lieut; L. L. Rudasill, 1st Sergeant; E. J. Hawkins, 2nd Sergeant; J. C. Miller, 3rd Sergeant: Robt. Stewart, 4th Sergeant; S. M. Larimar, 1st Corporal; Wm Cox, 2nd Corporal; A. G. Howard, 3rd Corporal.

Privates----A. A. Bradley, T. A. Bailey, T. J. Bradley, E. W. Boyte, T. O. Bell, T. H. Blackwell, S. D. Benje, T. J. Bussy, W. S. Carson, C. B. Crenshaw, E. A. Conger, S. W. Conger, Wm Conlee, John Conlee, J. T. Chisholm, W. G. Durham, F. M. Embry, J. T. Echols, D. E. Echols, R. H. Farmer, W. H. Harper, Thos Harrison, J. J. Haynes, J. S. Haynes, T. C. Haynes, Frank Haynes, J. F. Haynes, J. G. Haynes, J. O. Howard, R. T. Hailey, W. M. Hood, Peter Jaco, W. H. Johnson, J. J. Larimar, E. M. Lively, B. B. McPeters, J. A. Reed, W. T. Reiger, Samuel Rudasill, James Swan, J. C. Swan , J. G. Shands, F. M. Shands, J. H. Shands, N. J. Smith, S. T. Tansell, A. G. Upchurch, W. J. Wallace, R. L. Wait, P. M. B. Wait, Wm Yates.


Officers and men of Company B, Wirt Adams Calvary.
Just as we were mustered into services on the 21st day of July 1861.

T. J. Lewers, Captain; W. T. Cole, 1st Lieut; R. E. Love, 2nd Lieut; B. F. Walker, 3rd Lieut; C. W. Lewers, 1st Sergeant; S. L. Brownlee, 2nd Sergeant; W. B. Jackson, 3rd Sergeant; C. L. Crockett, 1st Corporal; G. W. Hardick, 2nd Corporal; Sim Lewers, 3rd Corporal.

Privates----Sam Alexander, L. Avant, J. T. Bailey, G. W. Bailey, J. M. Boxley, K. L. Burford, J. P. Bollin, J. F. Brownlee, F. S. Brownlee, W. Burnlow, B. Byers, W. A. Dellony, Jim Chapel, R. E. Clanton, Joe Craig, P. T. Crockett, R. A. Day, Tom Dockery, Kit Davis, S. L. Farmer, Hamp Garrott, B. Garrott, Fred Gatman, Ed Grant, Pete Honeysucker, George Haley, Frank Hawkins, Bill Hawkins, John House, John Hamilton, Jim Harris, George Haynes, G. W. Howard, J. R. Howard, O. T. Howard, Dr. Hilliard, John Hentz, Bill Jackson, Tom Jordan, Columbus Jackson, A. E. Joiner, S. L. Johnson, John Key, Joel Langston, R. G. Langston, John Lofton, George Love, Tom Langston, Jerry Langston, W. B. Locke, John McGehee, John McDonald, Bill McKie, Joe McKie, Dr. Milam, S. McMinn, John McKinney, Sandy McHamm, Oliver Martin, W. C. Martin, Joe McKinney, W. T. Meek, Bill Meek, Tom Martin, Tom Norfleet, S. Nelms, Red Nelms, W. G. Pasley, Henry Perkins, Jno. R. Puryear, Killis Puryear, Joe Phillips, Zack Parham, Jim Purvis, Bill Ruffin, Jim Ruffin, Tom Ruffin, J. H. Rice, R. L. Rash, Bid Renfroe, Jim Shinault, John Scott, J. W. StJohn, Jack Smith, Geb? Smith, George Smith, J. W. Stephenson, Dee Slaughter, John Van Dalson, L. Van Dalson, George Wollard, Wash Wilson, N. B. Wright, R. A. Williams, John Young.


The members of Company B who attended the Wait reunion were:

Capt. Jim Ruffin, Sardis; T. M. Norfleet, Looxahoma; G. W. Howard, Hernando; J. L. Shinault, Oxford; W. L. Martin, Cupid; J. J. Freeman, Como; J. C. Langston, Sardis; P. P. Crockett, Tyro; W. B. Wright, Independence; W. C. Smith, Senatobia; W. A. Dillouhurty, Little Rock; W. T. Meek, Coldwater; J. H. Rice, Sardis; W. R. Jeffries, Chulahoma; J. P. Phillips, Tyro; J. R. Puryear, Senatobia; J. H. Garrott, R. F. D. No. 1 Coldwater; R. E. Clanton, Senatobia; George Cox, (Colored) Arkabutla.

Report Of The Pension Board

The following changes were made in the pension roll of Tate County for the year 1908:

E. L. Weems increased from Form 2 to Form 1; H. M. Guin, from Form No 4 to Form No 1, $125.00 per year.

The following named were increased from Form 4 to Form 2, $75.00 per year: L. J. Parks, J. T. Moore, J. R. Brown, J. A. Shepherd, J. H. Garrott.

The following names were allowed on application in the pro rata class: Form 4: A. G. Blackbourn, B. B. Blackbourn, L. F. Brantley.

From No 5, (pro-rata class) Mrs. Mary F. Scott, Mrs. E. J. Sanders, Mrs. Georgia Thornton, Mrs. Mary Jane Lewis (Mrs. William Burdock Lewis).

M. L. Duncan was dropped from the list on account of his removal to Arkansas; W. A. Davis transferred to Desoto County; Mrs. M. A. Connell transferred to Panola County.

J. A. Wooten, Clerk

Source: The Senatobia Democrat

This Page Updated October 7, 2013


Tate County Coordinators: Syble Embrey & Marie Carlton

All rights reserved. Copyright of submitted items belongs to those responsible for their authorship or creation unless otherwise stated.

Return ToTable Of Contents