Antioch School

Located about three miles north of Hickory Grove on the Coldwater-Independence Road

From WPA Records

Antioch School was located about three miles north of Hickory Grove on the Coldwater-Independence Road. It was organized by the citizens who were most interested in the promotion of education for the children. Some of these were: The Perrys; Wootens; Scotts; Freezes; Rights; and a few other transient people.

Major Partee taught there for many years and was considered one of the best, or the best teacher in Tate County at that time. Another teacher who taught there for several years and later served as Chancery Clerk of the county for sixteen to twenty years was J. A. Wooten.

The building was a one roon frame building and was used for both a church and school.

The schools in those days had no standard course of study. So from year to year the main studies were 'readin, 'ritin, and 'rithmetic, and a few higher studies for those who were prepared to take them.

J. A. Wooten was one of the most outstanding citizens who attended school there in his younger days.

Antioch was consolidated with Poagville School in 1917.

(Source of information Frank Dean)

Updated February 29, 2012

                              

Tate County Coordinators: Syble Embrey & Marie Carlton

All rights reserved. Copyright of submitted items belongs to those responsible for their authorship or creation unless otherwise stated.

Return To Schools