County lies in the south central part of the State, and was organized
January 23, 1824, and named in honor of Judge Josiah Simpson, a former
Pennsylvanian, educated at Princeton. He later lived at Green Hill,
near Natchez, and became a territorial judge of Mississippi and served
as a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1917. It was part of
the Choctaw cession of 1820, termed the New Purchase, and subsequently
formed the eastern part of the county of Copiah (erected in 1823). It
has a present area of 575 square miles. As early as 1837 it had a free
white population of 2,329, slaves 891, a majority of these early
settlers coming from the older portions of the State on the west and
At the time of it's
organization, Simpson County was one of the most attractive Counties of
the great Southwest and that is why for the first twenty years after,
it grew so rapidly in population. Doubtless the early settlers from
Scotland, New England, Virginia and the Carolinas sent back to their
relatives glowing accounts of this new country.
The following is a list of the county officers for the year 1824, the
year the county was created: Duncan McLaurin, Judge of Probate; Wm.
Morris, Peter Stubbs, Neal McNair, Richard Nall, James B. Satturfield,
Associate Justices; Laughlin McLaurin, Jacob Carr, James Briggs, John
C. Halford, Justices of the Peace; Richard Sparks, Sheriff; Neal
McNair, Assessor and Collector; Daniel McCaskill, Coroner; Eli Nichols,
Surveyor; John C. McFarland, Treasurer; Daniel L. Ferrington, Notary
Public; Gideon Royal, Ranger; other county officers in 1825, 1826 and
1827 were John Briggs, Joseph R. Plummer, John Campbell, Absalom
Harper, James Welch, Joseph Carr, Justices of the Peace; John R.
Hubert, Associate Justice; William B. Easterling, Treasurer and
Surveyor; M. McDuffee, Ranger.
first courts of the county were held at the house of William Gibson,
and in 1827 the village of Westville was made the seat of justice. The
county seat was eventually moved to Mendenhall. It was returned to
Westville in the fall of 1905, but an election in the following year
decided the contest for Mendenhall. .
Simpson County is bordered
by Rankin County (north), Smith County (east), Covington County
(southeast), Jefferson Davis County (south), Lawrence County
(southwest) and Copiah County (west) . Cities and Towns include
Braxton, D'Lo, Harrisville, Magee, Mendenhall, Pinola . The County
Courthouse was destroyed in 1840 and 1872, All records were destroyed.
Page created November 15,
Jane Combs All Rights Reserved