Prentiss banner
 

PRENTISS COUNTY POST OFFICES

The following excerpt was taken from an article which was originally published in the "Remember When" section of the October 13, 1983 edition of the THE BOONEVILLE INDEPENDENT, Booneville, Mississippi. It was later printed in the HISTORY OF PRENTISS COUNTY which was published by Curtis Media Corporation, Dallas, TX: 1984. 
Written by Broox Sledge, a freelance writer from Macon, Mississippi, Mr. Sledge retrieved the names of the thirty-nine post offices that operated in Prentiss County between the years of 1870 and 1960. He cautions that the names of offices, people and dates were picked from reproductions of the aging, sometimes blurred records in the National Archives in Washington and there is probably an error here and there. Locations of the offices were not found.
Although Mr. Sledge recorded the names of the postmasters/mistresses, I have omitted them at this time.

ALTITUDE - 1888. Discontinued Apr. 28, 1894. Mail to Booneville. Re-established Dec. 22, 1897. Closed permanently Jan. 31, 1906. Mail then distributed out of Booneville.
ANTIOCH - 1886. This office, with a notation "formerly in Alcorn County", was closed Oct. 31, 1904. Mail to Dry Run."
ARDON - 1898. Office closed Jan. 31, 1906, with the mail going to Booneville.
BALDWYN (Formerly in Tishomingo County) - 1871. After Feb. 17, 1873, the office was recorded as in Lee County. [The Prentiss/Lee line goes through the center of town. jcb]
BLACKLAND - 1884. Office discontinued Dec. 15, 1905. Mail thereafter distributed by Booneville.
BOONEVILLE (Formerly in Tishomingo County) - 1866. 
BROWN'S CREEK - 1873. Closed Mar. 6, 1876, reopened Jan. 4, 1879. Office closed down Sept. 24, 1904. Mail then distributed out of Booneville.
BURTON - 1886. Office closed Jan. 31, 1906. Mail to Booneville.
CLAUDVILLE - 1892. Office closed Oct. 14, 1903, mail to Marietta.
DALTONVILLE - 1893. Office closed Aug. 19, 1903, mail to Booneville.
DONALD - 1898. Office discontinued Dec. 31, 1902 with the mail going to Baldwyn.
DRY RUN (Formerly in Tishomingo County) - 1874. Postmasters' names recorded and then crossed out in 1908 and 1914.
ELMA - 1881. Office discontinued Oct. 14, 1905. Mail then distributed by New Site.
FINCH - 1895. An order dated Dec. 21, 1895 rescinded the establishment of this office.
GEEVILLE - 1882. Office closed on Apr. 30, 1907. Mail thereafter distributed in Baldwyn.
HAZELDELL - 1873. Office discontinued Apr. 15, 1916. Mail then distributed by New Site.
HICKORY PLAINS - 1873. Office discontinued Aug. 31, 1903. Mail then distributed by Booneville.
HOSMER - 1900. Discontinue Aug. 31, 1903 with the mail then going to Booneville.
IDA - 1902. Office discontinued Apr. 15, 1916, with the mail going to New Site.
IVEY - 1898. This office, noted as "formerly in Tippah County," was closed Oct. 14, 1904 with the mail then going to Booneville.
JUMPERTOWN - 1902. Office closed Sept. 14, 1904, mail to Booneville.
KIZER - 1900. This office closed Oct. 14, 1903, with the mail then going to Marietta.
LYTAL - 1894. Office closed Sept. 30, 1903, with a notation, "Mail now goes to Baldwyn in Lee County."
MANILA - 1902. Office discontinued Jan. 31, 1906, with the mail then going to Booneville.
MARIETTA - 1871.
MEEKER - 1884. Office discontinued on May 3, 1887.
MILLICAN - 1886. Office closed Nov. 20, 1902, with the mail going to Elma. Office re-established Jan. 23, 1903. Office closed permanently Dec. 14, 1903 with the mail then going to New Site.
NEW SITE - 1876. Closed Dec. 10, 1877, reopened Feb. 13, 1878. 
NORMAN - 1884. Office discontinued Jan. 4, 1889. Mail thereafter distributed by Dry Run.
OLD CAIRO - 1881. An entry dated Mar. 6, 1902 read, "Old Cairo now in Tishomingo County."
PARDUE - 1898. Office closed May 14, 1906, with mail going to Booneville.
POUNDS - 1902. Office closed on Oct. 10, 1902.
PRENTISS - 1884. The name of the Prentiss office was officially changed to Southland on May 18, 1886.
RACKET - 1895. Office closed Aug. 31, 1903.
SOUTHLAND (Originally named PRENTISS) - 1886. Office closed down Aug. 31, 1903. Mail to Booneville.
TAYS - 1901. Office closed Dec. 6, 1901, mail to Booneville.
THRASHER - 1892. Office discontinued May 2, 1894, mail to Rienzi. Office reopened Mar. 5, 1900. Office closed Feb. 28, 1955, mail to Booneville.
TRUE - 1902. Office closed Nov. 30, 1903, with the mail going to Brown's Creek.
WHEELER - 1888.
Jo Carolyn Beebe
December, 1997
(Our thanks again to Jo Carolyn Beebe for transcring this information!)


Prentiss Home Page
This Page Was Last Updated Tuesday, 18-Nov-2014 21:21:22 EST

MSGenWeb Logo

County Coordinator: Jeff Kemp
State Coordinator: Jeff Kemp
Assistant State Coordinator:
Denise Wells
Assistant State Coordinator: Ann Allen Geoghegan

Copyright 2017 by the MSGenWeb Team. All rights
reserved. Copyright of submitted items belongs to those
responsible for their authorship or creation unless
otherwise assigned.