In 1830 Benjamin and Sally Pitts built a cabin on a section of land he
was homesteading, about one-fourth mile north of the present Hills
In 1830 there were many animals, wild turkey, deer and all kinds of
edible animals for meat - also panthers, wolves and bears.
In 1840 Benjamin built a log house on the second section. Hills Chapel
School is located on the former Bearden land. The people voted to name
the school Hills Chapel in honor of Mr. Mose Hill.
Candlers Chapel Church was built in 1885 and was named for "Zeke"
Candler who later became a congressman.
Blythe's Chapel Church and School were named for the Blythe family who
had move to Booneville by 1915.
**The above article posted with permission of The Banner-Independent,
Booneville, Ms. It appeared in their History Section March 30, 2000