East Prentiss is located in the southeastern part of Prentiss County
on Highway 4 between Bay Springs and New Site. The community used to
be known as ELMA.
There was a post office from October 1881 until October 1905.
Mail was then distributed to New Site.
Around 1900 other families began to settle in the community. The
schools were combined and became East Prentiss Consolidated School in
1922. The school building was struck by lightening one night in 1950
and burned to the ground. Children were now transported to New Site.
**The above article posted with permission of The Banner-Independent,
Booneville, Ms. It appeared in their History Section March 30, 2000.