Cairo is a small community in the extreme northeast part of Prentiss
County. Doc and Jim White purchased land from Red Burt on March 5,
1880 and were among early settlers.
There was a post office in Cairo in 1890 on land that belonged to
Sybille Pinson Mitchell, and north of Isabell's Grocery Store some
1000 yards. Mail was deposited by stagecoach or mail hack. Doc White
was the first Postmaster, followed by Pink Waldrop and Mr. Thomas
In 1910, when the route changed to Iuka, the old post office was torn
down, thus ending one of Cairo's old landmarks.
There have been two cotton gins in Cairo - the first between Opal
Holder's and Highway 365, owned by Riley Stubblefield, which operated
between 1890's and 1900's; The second gin in 1944 - Mr. Raymond Taylor
installed some 200 yards east of Cairo store with Mr. Elmer Umphress
**The above article posted with permission of The Banner-Independent,
Booneville, Ms. It appeared in their History Section March 30, 2000.