Battle of Tupelo. (See monument at Harrisburg) Date: July, 1864. Confederate losses: 153 killed, 794 wounded, 49 missing; Union losses: 77 killed, 559 wounded, 38 missing. Commanding Union Army: Gen. A. L. Smith. Confederates: Lt. Gen. S.D. Lee and Mal. Gen. N. B. Forrest. In 1864, this site was part of Pontotoc County.
The Natchez Trace Marker on Hwy. 6 at Furrs, erected by DAR in 1932 on the original Natchez Trace with the following inscription: "Along this trail once ebbed and flowed a restless tide of humanity, heroes and pioneers, who blazed the way for civilization. Near this spot are sites of the Battle of Ackia, Desoto's Battle and the signing of the Treaty of Pontotoc Creek in 1832."
Bullen's School was the first school in this part of America and was begun in 1799 by the son of Rev. Joseph Bullen probably on the site of the Black Zion Cemetery. The Bullens resided at the home of James Gunn, site of the A. M. Ray home. The name Pontetok was first used in the report of the school's establishment to educate the Chickasaws.
The Chickasaw National Council House was located about one half mile southeast of the Mississippi Archives and History marker at the intersection of Hwy. 342 and C. R. 853. Actual location on 1834 surveyor's plat indicated council house by a small square topped by a cross and labeled "Council House." Andrew Jackson spoke to the Chickasaws here when the Treaty of 1816 was signed. In the Pontotoc Creek Treaty, which was signed here on October20, 1832 Chickasaws ceded more than 6 million acres to U. S. Government.
Cates Place. Just south of Hwy. 342 was a council house or chief's house, sometimes called Topulkah’s house. Much tribal business took place here when the Chickasaws began selling their land to the U.S. Government, they came here to collect their annuities. A huge campground was here on the Natchez Trace near Jackson's Springs, which was named for Gen. Andrew Jackson who camped there with his troops during the War of 1812. Battle of Ogoula Tchetoka, locally known as the Battle of Tubbee’s Ridge. In the spring of 1736, D’ Artaguette, governor of the Illinois Territory, was sent with a huge company of French soldiers and their Indian allies from the north to destroy the Chickasaw Nation. However, they were defeated by the Chickasaws and D’ Artaguette, along with Father Senac and several Frenchmen, were burned to death by the victorious Chickasaws.
Allen's Tavern. Old Pontotoc was located about five miles southeast of the present town of Pontotoc. Allen's Tavern was the "town hall" of the Chickasaw villages. It was located on the Natchez Trace on Tubbee's Ridge, in Sec. 23, T10, R3. James Allen, the proprietor and attorney from Nashville, had married the daughter of his friend, Maj. Gen. Wililam Colbert. Historians tell us that Gen. Andrew. Jackson, more than once, stopped for a visit and to spend the night with the Allens.
Campground Methodist Church is west of Hwy. 41 and the Archives and History marker is at the intersection of the Campground Road. It was started in an Indian hut in 1836 and was on the Natchez Trace.
Tockshish or Mclntoshville, near where Toxish Church now stands, was established by John McIntosh, a British agent, before 1770. Mclntoshville was Mississippi's second post office and was established in 1801 as a relay station between Nashville and Natchez.
Chicasa or DeSoto's Camp in the winter of 1540-41 Historian Dunbar Rowland tells us that DeSoto's camp was in "Sec. 21, overlapping south into the N 1/2 of Sec. 28." It was in this camp on Christmas Day, 1540, that the first Christian marriage in America was performed between Juan Ortiz and Sa-Owana, a Seminole princess held captive by the Spaniards. A mural in the Pontotoc Post Office in Pontotoc, MS depicts this scene.
Williams-Thompson House. A landmark in Southern Pontotoc County, built about 1838 by Senator Thomas Hickman Williams, a native Tennessean who moved to Pontotoc County and served as United States Senator from Mississippi. He was instrumental in the organization of the University of Mississippi.
Graves of Unknown Union Soldiers. On a ridge just east of Hwy. 41 are 11 tombstones inscribed, "Unknown Union Soldier." Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest's cavalry pursued Union General "Sooy" Smith in a running fight from Okolona to just south of Pontotoc.
Monroe Mission School was the first religious building erected in North Mississippi. Monroe Mission was established by the Rev. Thomas C. Stuart in 1821. Stuart was commissioned by the South Carolina Presbytery as a missionary to the Chickasaw Indians.
Lochinvar, antebellum home of Drs. Forrest and Janis Tutor, was built by Robert Gordon in 1842. Gordon bought the land from a Chickasaw woman, Molly Gunn, daughter of William Colbert and wife of James Gunn.
Chickasaw Female College, 1836-1936. On November 4, 1836, Thomas McMackin gave the land for the use of female education. The school was incorporated as Pontotoc Female Academy; then Chickasaw College, owned and operated by the Presbyterian Church. The site is located just behind the present Pontotoc Hospital.
Pontotoc's Oldest House is just across the street and south of the United Methodist Church. It was built in the 1830's for the founder of Pontotoc, Thomas McMackin.
Federal Land Office. Located on the corner of what is now Oxford and North Brooks St., the land office was built to handle the sale of Chickasaw lands following the signing of the Treaty of Pontotoc Creek. Appointees of President Andrew Jackson were sent from Nashville down the Natchez Trace, to handle the transactions. Among those appointed were Patrick Henry Fontaine, John Bell and D. B. Anderson.
The Pontotoc City Cemetery was given to the City of Pontotoc by the Chickasaws and the U.S. Government on June 22, 1852, because "many Chickasaws and their white friends were buried there." Maj. Gen. William Colbert was buried there in 1835. The Rev. Thomas C. Stuart, missionary to the Chickasaws, is also buried in the City Cemetery.
The Stephens House. This two-story pioneer home is on the west side of old Cherry Creek Road and was built in the early 1840's. It was the first meeting place of the Cherry Creek Baptist Church, which was organized there in 1844.
Old Cherry Creek School. The old school is standing near where Cherry Creek Normal was started by B. R. Webb, before the Civil War.
Ingomar Mounds. This temple mound is the largest prehistoric structure in this part of the state. Excavation by the Smithsonian Institute in 1885 revealed that one of the mounds had been built after European contact as it contained a fragment of green glass bottle and another artifact with a Spanish coat of arms. It was here some historians believe that DeSoto made his second camp in the spring of 1541, before proceeding toward the Mississippi River.
Battle of Mud Creek, June 20, 1863. Confederate forces under Gen. Daniel Ruggles routed Union forces under the command of Lt Col. Jesse J Phillips in a running fight at Mud Creek. Union losses were: 50 killed, 90 wounded; Confederate losses were: 2 killed and 17 wounded.
Buttermilk Springs. The family that operated the Stage Coach Stop kept cold buttermilk in the spring and sold it to the thirsty passengers. Presently called Thaxton for Dr. M. C. Thaxton.
Betty Love Allen. Historical marker on old Toccopola School ground marks the grave of Betty Allen, wife of Maj. John Allen and the daughter of Thomas Love, a Chickasaw. Litigation over a slave given to her by her father and claimed by her husband's creditors in 1829, resulted in the establishment of the rights of women to own property not liable for the debts of husbands. Mississippi Legislature enacted this Chickasaw tribal code into law to become the first government in the world to give women the right to own property outright. Another historical marker is at the intersection of Hwy. 6 and C.R. 843.
Davy Crockett's horse corral. Defeated for reelection to Congress in his home state of Tennessee, he gathered a drove of horses and brought them down the Natchez Trace to the Pontotoc area. He joined friends already here and built a horse corral in the middle of what is now Trace State Park and ran a thriving business. When Davy Crockett learned of the Texas revolt and the troubles of his friend, Sam Houston, he closed his horse trading business in order to join him in Texas. He was later killed at the Battle of the Alamo on March 6, 1836.
Battle of Brice's Crossroads. Five miles west of Baldwyn, just past the crossroads, and some nine miles down the road to old Pleasant Hill Church. Confederate losses: 96 killed, 396 wounded; Union losses: 223 killed, 394 wounded, 1,623 missing. Skirmishes in fighting, by a 15,000 man army, reached the northeastern corner of what was then Pontotoc County.
Route of the Invaders. Union Armies came to pillage, loot and burn beginning in late 1862. Pontotoc Countians lived with these tactics almost to the war's end. The last great raid was the 15,000 man army of Gen. A. J Smith that ended in the Battle of Tupelo. (Harrisburg)
Old Natchez Trace Route. America's most historic path stretches from Natchez, Mississippi to Nashville, Tennessee. These markers show the actual route of the original Natchez Trace as it ran through Pontotoc County.
DeSoto's Camp and Red Land. Local tradition places DeSoto’s Winter Camp to the north on the Old Natchez Trace Route. The early town of Redland, which thrived from 1840-1880, extended from the present cemetery south.