Mississippi GenWeb Project State Logo
US GenWeb Project National Logo


Pontotoc County, Mississippi
Genealogy and History

Buckhorn School

Buckhorn School was located in the south west part of Pontotoc County....

This school was consolidated shortly after  1951.....

Buckhorn, four miles southeast of Robbs or approximately 15 miles south of Pontotoc,  was settled in 1836 by the Young,  Miles, and Stuart families.  Settlers who came at a later date were the Lancaster, Blunt, Petty, and Luther families.

The community did not grow to any size until 1888 when the C & G Railroad provided a market for timber and since that time most of the land in the community has been cleared for cultivation. The construction of county roads through the community about 1910 brought many new settlers to this site.

A post office was established shortly after 1865, remaining in operation until replaced by an R.F.D. Route via Sarepta in 1910. No one seems to know for sure why the place was named Buckhorn.

( Peggy Young, who contributed this information,  has learned  that Buckhorn, as is stated by several community residents, got it's name from a store located in the area that had (deer) Bucks' Horns' nailed to the outside of the store.)

Buckhorn Yearbook Pictures

1  2  3  4  5  6


MSGenWeb USGenWeb Pontotoc County Home Page


Copyright 1998 –2016 by the USGENWEB TEAM except where otherwise noted.