Mississippi GenWeb Project State Logo
US GenWeb Project National Logo


This is the first school house in Algoma, Where it was orginally, it has now been moved to the Algoma School site and restored .


Old School Class

Members of the class of about 1894 at the old Algoma School are: Bottom row, left to right: Lonnie Arnold, Robert Haney, Unknown, Silas Haney, Della Owen, Annie Lou Wood, Sammie Rodgers, Una Rodgers, Pearl Winters, Laura Wood, Fannie Haney, Pauline Jones,
Second row, left to right: Claude Barlow, unknown, Fred Wood, Brad Owen, Rogers Holland, Mitchell Jones, Jud Jones, Bingham Barlow,
Third row, left to right: Dave Montgomery, unknown, Mille Holland, Bessie Jones, Hattie Haney, Sina Owen, Lynn Holley, Ollie (Ol) Wood, unknown,
Fourth row, left to right: Jack Cruse, Jim Polk, Agnes Eubanks, Mary Holland, Ara Owen, Allie Wood, Miss Springer, Lon Wood, Kring Barlow, Lonzo Winters, Will Montgomery
Back Row, left to right: Lillie Jackson, Lena Jones, Myrtis Springer, Lany Holland.


1910 Student Body

Student Body ca. 1910 in front of the two story school building.


Algoma School 1948 and board of Trustees.
Row 1: L. Todd -President, A. V. Smith Secretary
Row 2: B.W. Young, Whitson Bost, R. D. Simmons

To the right of the school is the first gym (built 1948-49) built from used lumber from the U.S. Army Base at Camp McCain . This gym burned in 1953. Until this gym was built, basket ball games were play on dirt courts. Most people believe the fire started from the wood heaters that were in each corner of the gym. The first year they played on the subfloor and the dressing rooms had sand floors and no heat. Interesting note: The last game that was played in this gym was Algoma and Randolph. They are now consoldated in the new South Pontotoc Attendance Center, making them no longer rivals


MSGenWeb USGenWeb Pontotoc County Home Page


Copyright 1998 –2017 by the USGENWEB TEAM except where otherwise noted.