Monroe County

Aberdeen Station, erected 1929-30; US Rt 45, Aberdeen (photo courtesy of American Memory Project, Library of Congress)
Adams-French House (aka Masonic Temple), built 1856 by Col. John Cox for his daughter, Mrs. Robert Adams; N. Meridian and Marshall Sts, Aberdeen
Barrett House, built 1842, builder Peter Borndon; Aberdeen (photo courtesy of American Memory Project, Library of Congress)
Bella Vida; Aberdeen
(S.S. & Martha) Bibb Plantation
Bienville's Fort (aka Cotton Gin Port), erected 1736 in the extinct town of Cotton Gin Port. Source: "Hometown Mississippi", James Brieger, 1997.
Bradford Place, Aberdeen (photo courtesy of American Memory Project, Library of Congress)
(The) Castle, Aberdeen (photo courtesy of American Memory Project, Library of Congress)
Colberts Mill (historical), Nettleton
Cumberland Presbyterian Church, organized 1820 by Robert Beel; Cotton Gin Port. Source: "Hometown Mississippi", James Brieger, 1997.
(Colonel) Davis House (aka Sunset Hill), built 1847 by William Cunningham, purchased after the Civil War by Reuben Davis; 803 W Commerce Ave (Hwy 45), Aberdeen (photo courtesy of American Memory Project, Library of Congress)
(Capt. Thomas) Coopwood House (aka Sunset Manor); Thayer Ave, Aberdeen
(Reuben) Davis House (aka Sunset Hill); Commerce St, Aberdeen
(C. C.) Day House (aka Myrle C. Walters House); Meridian St, Aberdeen
Days Mill (historical), Aberdeen
Dogwood Haven (aka Sartor's Crossing), built 1860 by Lucian B. Moore who sold it in 1880 to Dr. Daniel Sartor. A few years later it was purchased by John C. Crosby. Aberdeen
(William A.) Dunklin House (aka Dunlee); High St, Aberdeen
French House, built 1856 by John Cox; Aberdeen (photo courtesy of American Memory Project, Library of Congress)
Gregg-Hamilton House, built ca 1850, it is named for Confederate General John Gregg and poet Charles Granville Hamilton; 410 S Meridian St, Aberdeen (photo courtesy of American Memory Project, Library of Congress)
Harrison-Phelan, the original two room cabin was built in ca 1839. In 1848, Dr. Richard Harrison completed an addition. Aberdeen
(John) Holliday House (aka Holliday Haven), built 1850. It remained in the John Holliday family until 1993. Meridian St, Aberdeen (photo courtesy of American Memory Project, Library of Congress)
Howard House, High St, Aberdeen (photo 1, photo 2 courtesy of American Memory Project, Library of Congress)
Johnson-Butler House (aka Butler Bungalow); High St, Aberdeen
Lenoir Plantation House; Off US 45 Alt, 3 mi. S of jct. with NM 382, Prairie
(The) Magnolias, built 1850 by Dr. & Mrs. William Alfred Sykes. It remained in the Sykes family until Oct 1984 when it was sold to Clarence Day. In April 1986, he donated The Magnolias to the city of Aberdeen in memory of his parents. Currently, it is open for banquets and parties. (info/photos)
Mann House, built 1840; Aberdeen (photo courtesy of American Memory Project, Library of Congress)
Mobile and Ohio Railroad Depot (aka Old M & O Depot); Commerce St, Aberdeen
Old Homestead (aka Dr. George Augustus Sykes House; Julian T. Evans House), built by Dr. George Augustus Sykes. It is still owned by his descendants who remain in the home. Commerce, Aberdeen
(Austin) Pollard House (aka Ten Acres; Pecan Acres); Whitfield St, Aberdeen
Prewett Place, built 1840 by Abner Prewett, a prominent Monroe County landowner and businessman. Aberdeen
(Francis M.) Rogers House (aka Magnolia Hill); High and Hickory Sts, Aberdeen
Ross Mill (historical), Amory
Sanders Place, built 1898; Aberdeen
Smith's Mill (historical), Amory
Strong House, Aberdeen (photo courtesy of American Memory Project, Library of Congress)
Taylors Inn (historical), Strong
(James Young) Thompson House; Old Cotton Gin Rd, 1/4 mi N of US 278, Amory
(W.B.) Walker House, built 1850; Aberdeen (photo courtesy of American Memory Project, Library of Congress)
(W.W.) Watkins House; Commerce St, Aberdeen
Whitfield-Holmes; Aberdeen
Willcox Mill, erected 1900; Willcox (extinct). Source: "Hometown Mississippi", James Brieger, 1997.
Willis Farm; owned by Henry Willis; Hamilton. Source: "Hometown Mississippi", James Brieger, 1997.
Woods House, Aberdeen (photo 1, photo 2 courtesy of American Memory Project, Library of Congress)
.
Return to Plantation Table of Contents
Home to MSGenWeb


Copyright Notice: All files and photographs on this site are copyrighted by their creator and/or contributor, unless otherwise noted. They may be linked to but may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from The MSGenWeb State Coordinator or the Assistant State Coordinator, and/or their contributor. Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are. It is however, quite permissible to print or save the files to a personal computer for personal use ONLY. 

Last Update Thursday, 15-Oct-2009 18:00:27 EDT

[an error occurred while processing this directive]