Marshall County

Marshall County Website - MSGenWeb Project

Airliewood (aka Coxe-Dean), built 1859 by F.W. Rittlemeyer for William Henry Coxe replicating a Swiss chalet. Mr. Coxe was married to Amelia Brailsford, a descendant of General William Moultrie of the Revolutionary War. General Grant used this home as his headquarters during the Civil War; 109 Salem Ave, Holly Springs (photo courtesy of American Memory Project, Library of Congress)
Alexander-Tyson Home, built 1830, purchased by Robert Burrell Alexander in 1830.
Alicia, built 1833; Chulahoma St, Holly Springs. (photo)
Anderson Cottage, built 1851; Walthall St, Holly Springs
Anderson's, built 1847
Athenia (formerly known as Clapp-Fant House) built 1840s A Georgian Colonial built of slave-made brick for Judge Clapp who escaped capture during a Northern raid by hiding in the hollow of the columns supporting the front veranda roof. Gen. A.M. West purchased the home after the war. Holly Springs
Athenia Plantation, built 1850s home of Henry Alexander Jones and the Lumpkin-Jones families (prominent landowners in southern Marshall County) it is now demolished and was located 2 ½ miles south of Holly Springs. (architectural drawing; newspaper article)
Athey Place (aka Heritage), built 1872 by Major James N. Hill on land purchased from Ah La Chubby, an Indian.
Austin Moore Home, built 1840; Red Banks
Autry Place
Ayataia, built 1839; Maury St, Holly Springs
(Dr. Isham G.) Bailey House, (aka Cedar Lane Farm) Early Grove Rd, Lamar
Belvedere, built 1858, Randolph St, Holly Springs
Best Cabin, built ca 1835; Red Banks. (photo)
Bolling/Gatewood, built 1858, Randolph St, Holly Springs
(Dr. F.C.) Boatner House, Potts Camp. (Source: 1913-14 Catalogue of Potts Camp High School) (photo, courtesy of Sylvia Akin)
Bonner Home (aka Bonner-Belk), built 1858 by Dr. Charles Bonner, whose oldest daughter, Sherwood (1849-1883) was born here. She was a writer of Southern dialect stories. General Ord occupied the home during the Civil War. Source of picture: "PUBLICATIONS OF THE MISSISSIPPI HISTORICAL SOCIETY, Vol. VII" , Franklin L. Riley, Editor. Published for the society in Oxford, MS, 1903. Courtesy of Cheryl Berthelsen. Salem Ave, Holly Springs. (photo)
Box Hill, built 1830, Chulahoma St, Holly Springs (photo; sign )
Bradford Place, built 1839, Van Dorn Ave, Holly Springs
Brittenum Home, built 1853. It was one of the first houses built in Mt. Pleasant and is more than 100 years old; located southwest corner of the town square, Mt. Pleasant
Bryant, built 1853, Gholson Ave, Holly Springs
Cedar Crest, built ca 1848 by Captain G.C. Adams who sold it to James Wells in 1853. The Power family purchased the home between 1873 and 1885. (info)
Cedarhurst (aka Sherwood Bonner House), built 1857 by Dr. Charles Bonner, father of Sherwood Bonner. The Hon. W.A. Belk, statesman, educator, and judge purchased the home from the Bonners. 103 Salem Ave, Holly Springs (photo courtesy of American Memory Project, Library of Congress)
Chalmers Institute, Chulahoma Ave, Holly Springs
Christ Episcopal Church, built 1839 and completed 1857 was built on the site of the old St. Joseph Church, which was moved to the present site on College Avenue. It has hand carved woodwork in its Gothic ceiling design and carved pews. The church has a slave gallery in the form of the balcony and the bell towers is not always in use anymore. In the 1870s, Holly Springs received gas before the surrounding towns and the only original gaslight fixtures in town still in use are in the Episcopal Church, the Presbyterian loft and Grey Gables, which are now electrified. Originally, they could be pulled down and lit. Reference: The South Reporter, November 21, 1991 article written by Lois Swanee. Randolph St, Holly Springs (photo courtesy of American Memory Project, Library of Congress)
Christ Episcopal Rectory, built 1885; Randolph St, Holly Springs
Cloverland Plantation, built 1848 - now demolished, home of Robert H. & Martha Pegues Wall. The image of Cloverland was preserved by the late Hugh H. Rather, Jr., Architect. This drawing may not be reproduced without the permission of the Hugh H. Rather, Jr. family. Cloverland was located east of Hudsonville on the Sylvestria plantation and 6 miles NE of Holly Springs. (architectural drawing)
Collins Cottage, built 1840, Randolph St, Holly Springs
Colonsay Cottage, built 1840, College St, Holly Springs
Coopwood, built 1899
Crump Place, built 1836 by Samuel McCorkle (related to the Rather family), first banker in the county and first land commissioner to the Indians. It is the birthplace of E.H. Crump, U.S. Congressman in Tennessee and mayor of Memphis, whose mother lived in this home until her death at age 98 in 1940. Her great-uncle was Samuel McCorkle. She was born at the family plantation, The Lodge, on Old Sylvestria Road in 1842. The Randolph Holt family also lived in Crump Place after the Crumps. It is owned by the Woods. Source: The South Reporter, November 30, 2000, Section 2, Page 1. Gholson St, Holly Springs. (photo)
Cuffawa, built 1832, Chulahoma St, Holly Springs
Custer House, built 1845, Randolph St, Holly Springs
Dancy/McDermott House, built 1839, College St, Holly Springs
(The Old) Depot & Hotel, built 1859, Van Dorn Ave, Holly Springs
Doxey Cottage, built 1840, Chulahoma St, Holly Springs
Dunvegan (aka Norfleet-Cochran Place), built 1845 by J.P. Norfleet. The land was purchased Jan 3, 1845 and sold on Sep 28, 1861 to James Jarrell House (Book Y, 488) who sold it to Phillip Pointer, son of Dr. David Pointer. Phillip Pointer sold the house in 1870 to John T. Brown of Waterford. Mr. Brown sold it in 1876 to Captain Sam Franck who sold it to Thomas F. Sigman. Samuel Vadah Cochran purchased it from the Sigmans on Oct 12, 1920. Source: Old Timer Press, June 1983. Gholson St, Holly Springs
Farewood, (photo)
Featherston Place (aka McEwen- Featherston Place; Featherston-Buchanan Place), built 1834 by Alexander C. & Elizabeth McEwen; Craft St, Holly Springs
Fennel-Hogan, built 1827
Finley-Dunlap Cottage, built 1840, Van Dorn Ave, Holly Springs
Finley Place, (aka Shuford Place) built 1854-56 by Mrs. Rufus Jones, designed by Spires Bolling. It was purchased in 1906 by the Finley family. Currently owned by the Audubon Society. Falconer Ave, Holly Springs. (Source: The South Reporter - Pilgrimage Edition, April 15, 2004)
First Presbyterian Church, built 1836
First United Methodist Church, built 1849; It has been used as a courthouse (when it burned during the Civil War), as a hospital during the Yellow Fever epidemic, again for the courthouse (during renovation in 1927), as a school (when it burned in the 1920s), and again as a school in 1968 when Marshall Academy used it for classrooms. Also, it has been used by clubs and organizations as well as a church. A hundred years ago the Christmas custom was to have a Christmas tree lighted with candles. It again caught on fire but fortunately was squelched in time and ended the custom. The Pilcher organ is the original and was one of four Pilchers in town. Others are in the Presbyterian and Episcopal churches and one was in the beautiful little auditorium of the Mississippi Synodical College, which was torn down in 1945 to make an empty lot. The three remaining organs sound great and are still in use. The land was given to the church by Mr. Robert B. Alexander, a prominent citizen of that day. Reference: The South Reporter, Nov 21, 1991 article written by Lois Swanee. Van Dorn Ave, Holly Springs
Fite House (aka McCutchan House), built 1906; Byhalia
Fleur-De-Lis, built 1850; Memphis St, Holly Springs
Fort Daniel Hall (aka Craft-Daniel) built 1850 by Hugh Craft. It was headquarters of Federal Colonel Murphy during Van Dorn's raid. Memphis St, Holly Springs (photo)
Franck Place, built ca 1855
French House, built 1910 for Dr Fitch; Byhalia
G.C. Goodman Home, built 1840 by Henry Moore. It was set afire during the Civil War, but Mrs. Eliza Moore extinguished the flames. Red Banks
Galena Plantation, built 1845 by Mathew James Coxe (1819-86), who also built the "Airliewood" mansion in Holly Springs in 1858. The image of Galena was preserved by the late Hugh H. Rather, Jr., Architect, which may not be reproduced without the permission of the Hugh H. Rather, Jr. family. Mr Rather also drew a floor plan from a sketch by Moultrie Lacey who lived here during the 1920s & 30s with his mother, 2 brothers, and grandmother. Tom & Moultrie Lacey later farmed this plantation's land for several years. The Laceys were related to the Coxe family. Mrs. L. A. (Chesley) Smith Jr. took photos of this home while it was still standing, which preserved its appearance for posterity. Galena was located near Hwy #4 West when it was still standing. (info; architectural drawing)
(Martha) Gardner Home, built 1849 by John Etheldred Gardner (originally from VA, his wife from IL; they were married in TN in 1809). This home burned down years ago and was located in Red Banks.
Gatewood-Bolling, built 1853 by Spires Boling, it now houses the Ida B. Wells Art Gallery and Museum. Ida B. Wells' family lived in this house and she may have been born here. Originally on this site was the home of William Randolph, founding father of Holly Springs, whose home burned in 1857. Holly Springs
Greenwood, built 1838 Plantation once owned by the Hull family and the Alfred Brooks family. Craft St, Holly Springs
Grey Gables, (aka Nelson Place) built early 1830s by Morris Hatchel and originally owned by W. S. Randolph; it was purchased in 1870 by James House. College Ave, Holly Springs. (Source: The South Reporter - Pilgrimage Edition, April 15, 2004) (photo) (photo courtesy of American Memory Project, Library of Congress)
Greystone, built ca 1840. It was the home of Dr. F.W. Dancy, physician of Holly Springs. (Source: The South Reporter - Dec 15 2001); Holly Springs
(The) Hall, this school was built prior to 1855; it was razed in 1903 and a new school was erected in 1904. Mt. Pleasant. Source: "Hometown Mississippi", James Brieger, 1997.
Hamilton Place, built 1838; Mason St Holly Springs
Hamilton-Harris House, built 1900; College St, Holly Springs
Hamner House, built 1850; Memphis St, Holly Springs
Happy Hill Plantation, built ca 1832, It was the first plantation in the county and was settled by the first white settlers, Robert Burrell Alexander and his father, John E. Alexander, who were from Virginia. The present day location of where this plantation was located is the intersection of Highways 78, 7, and 4.
Hazelwood Plantation, built ca 1860 and it was the home of Olin & Martha Lumpkin. Hazelwood plantation is no longer in existence, but the image was preserved by the late Hugh H. Rather, Jr., Architect, which may not be reproduced without the permission of the Hugh H. Rather, Jr. family. Although, Hazelwood was demolished several years ago, the base of the chimneys, cistern, well, and part of the foundation remain. The family that lived here last said the house was haunted. It was located 3 miles SE of Holly Springs and 1 mile SE of "Morro Castle". (architectural drawing)
Heaven House, built 1849; Falconer Ave, Holly Springs
Heritage (aka Athey Home), built 1856, by Mr. J. H. Athey, who was a druggist from a wealthy family of Kentucky planters. Salem St, Holly Springs
Herndon, built 1839 by Louis Thompson of MA. Falconer Ave, Holly Springs
(Home of Albert) Herr (aka Govan/Herr/ Knox), built 1850 It was home of the Govans, an important Northern MS family. Later owned by the Herr family. College St, Holly Springs
Hillside, built 1861. This Italianate Victorian home was built by F.W. Rittlemeyer, a carpenter from Prussia. He also built Airliewood for William and Amelia Coxe. It was also owned by Sam West and the Curt Ayers family. It is currently owned by Jennifer and Christian Knox and was on the 2000 Holiday House tour for the first time. The South Reporter, Nov 16, 2000. Van Dorn Ave, Holly Springs (photos)
Hilltop, built 1856; Park Ave, Holly Springs (photo)
Holland House (aka Illinois Central Section House), built 1859 by Robert Hastings. College Ave, Holly Springs
(The) Holly, built as a log dogtrot cabin in 1836 by MS Governor Joseph Matthews to use as his townhouse while he served as Governor. He also owned a large plantation. The 2000 Holiday House Tour was the first year this home was open to the public. (Source: The South Reporter, Nov 9, 2000 and Apr 15, 2004) Chulahoma St, Holly Springs. (photo)
Hopkins House, built 1839; College St, Holly Springs (photo)
Illinois Central Railroad Depot & Hotel , Source: "BIOGRAPHICAL and HISTORICAL MEMOIRS of MISSISSIPPI" . Published in 1891 by Goodspeed Publishing Company, Chicago. Submitted by Cheryl Berthelsen. It is located across the street from Phillips Grocery, Van Dorn Ave, Holly Springs. (currently a private residence) (photo)
(photo courtesy of American Memory Project, Library of Congress)
Imokalea, built 1844 by Mr. Knapp, a silversmith. The second oldest brick structure in Holly Springs with walls 27 of solid brick. It was once owned by Wall Doxey. (photo courtesy of The South Reporter, unknown date)
(A.C.) Jones Residence; Potts Camp (photo, taken 1913, courtesy of Sylvia Akin)
(B.G.) Jones Residence; Potts Camp (photo, taken 1913, courtesy of Sylvia Akin)
Jones-Shuford Home, built 1857. Picture from "Publications of the Mississippi Historical Society, Vol. VII" , Franklin L. Riley, Editor. Published for the society in Oxford, MS, 1903. Submitted by Cheryl Berthelsen. Holly Springs (photo)
Kate Freeman Walthall Clark Art Gallery, built 1848 - Displays over 1,000 paintings of Kate Freeman Clark's work while she studied under William Merritt Chase in NY during the early 1900s. She returned to her native Holly Springs in 1923 and stored her work until her death in 1957. Her great uncle was Major General Edward Carey Walthall, who, after the War, was a United States Senator. Source: The South Reporter, Feb 1, 2001. College St, Holly Springs
Kirk Home, built 1855 - Built in slave days of virgin timber and was owned by the Kirk family. The Kirk Home burned down sometime ago. Cornersville
Latoka, built 1839 by W.S. and Frances Randolph of VA (one of the town's founders). It was named for an Indian princess, Latoka, daughter of a chieftain, who lived in this area before Holly Springs was founded. Latoka was owned in 1839 by Ann Mason. It was conveyed to Adrian Mayer, lawyer, in 1851. It was purchased in the 1950s by Mr. & Mrs. Claude Smith. It is currently owned by the Messicks, who purchased it in 1988 and renovated it. (Source: Latoka Brochure) Randolph St, Holly Springs. (brochure photo; photo)
Linden Hill (formerly known as Carl Akins House), built 1841 by William Ragan; Van Dorn Ave, Holly Springs (photo)
Linden Lodge, built ca 1860-1890; Craft St, Holly Springs
Linden Terrace, built 1844; College St, Holly Springs
Linwood's (Department Store), (aka I.C. Levy's) built ca 1850s; still in open today. Holly Springs
Little Dixie (photo)
Lodge Plantation, built unknown date - Birthplace of E.H. Crump's mother in 1842. Located on Old Sylvestria Road, plantation home of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Thomas. It was the first settlement of the Hull family in Marshall County.
Lucas, built 1880; Walthall St, Holly Springs
Lumpkin's Mill, built 1840 (architectural drawing)
Mabuhoy, built 1857; Salem St, Holly Springs
Magnolia Hotel (historical), built by John Bradley & Company prior to the Civil War.
Magnolia's, built 1853 by William F. Mason as a wedding present for his daughter, Elizabeth, who married Colonel Thomas Harris. Craft St, Holly Springs
Malone House, College Ave, Holly Springs
Marshall County Historical Museum, built 1903 as a dormitory for the old MS Synodical College. The Museum houses many local historical artifacts and features a Civil War Room. College Ave, Holly Springs (photo)
Martin Cottage, built 1849; Walthall St, Holly Springs
Mason-Tucker Home
Masonic Hall (historic), built ca 1836. It was blasted by dynamite during the Civil War. It was rebuilt after the Civil War and was destroyed by fire ca 1951. (Source: The South Reporter, Jan 17 2002)
McCambell, Mount Pleasant (info)
McCarroll Place, built 1834; Van Dorn Ave, Holly Springs
McCoy Administration Building, Rust College, (on the National Register of Mississippi Historic Places); Holly Springs
McCrosky Cottage, built 1837; College St, Holly Springs
McCrosky House, Old, built 1844; Gholson Ave, Holly Springs
McCrosky Place, built 1841; College St, Holly Springs (photo)
McGowan-Crawford House, built 1858 by Alfred Brooks as a gift for his daughter.
Meadowoaks
Milan Plantation
Mimosas, built 1836 by Colonel Roger Barton, one of four founding planners of the town of Holly Springs. The house was sold in 1852 and used as a Catholic school.
"Miss" Mitts, built 1840
Mississippi Central Railroad Office, built 1852; Gholson St, Holly Springs (photo)
Mississippi Industrial College
Mississippi Synodical College, built 1903 (see Marshall County Historical Museum above)
Montrose, (aka McGowan-Crawford Home) built 1858 by Alfred Brooks as a wedding present for his daughter, Margaret Elizabeth Brooks, wife of Robert McGowan. It was later restored by Mrs. Minnie Wooten Johnson, widow of Jackson Johnson. The Holly Springs Garden Club presently owns Montrose. In 1981, it was designated as the site of the Mississippi Statewide Arboretum. Salem St, Holly Springs. (Source: The South Reporter - Pilgrimage Edition, April 15, 2004) (photo; courtesy of Jack Durham) (photo; courtesy of American Memory Project, Library of Congress)
(Tom) Moore Home, previously used as a trading post ca 1820-1825 by Wash Taylor. Later it became the home of Tom Moore. Red Banks. Source: "Hometown Mississippi", James Brieger, 1997.
Morro Castle Plantation, built ca 1857 by William Blanton Lumpkin and he lived in the finished rear one story wings until his death in 1877. The Civil War halted construction of Morro Castle and it was never finished. Only the brick walls of the front two story portion were built. The late Hugh H. Rather, Jr., Architect, preserved the image of Morro Castle Plantation in 1979, from a sketch drawn by Aunt Lula Jones Jarratt in 1928. The house would have looked similar to this if it had been completed. The house stood on a hill and thus a person on the observation cupola would have been able to get a general view of much of the surrounding plantation land. The design of this mansion is similar to other homes that had been built in W. B. Lumpkin's native Georgia. This drawing may not be reproduced without the permission of the Hugh H. Rather, Jr. family. Morro Castle is no longer in existence. It was located 3 miles South of Holly Springs. (architectural drawing)
Mosley Home, built 1854 by Fleming Mosley; Barton. (info)
Mosswood, built 1839 by Adrian N. Mayer who came to Marshall in the 1830s with his relatives, the Lumpkins of Athens, GA. Salem St, Holly Springs
Myers-Hicks Place, MS 309, Byhalia
Oakland Plantation, built ca 1850, it was the home of Peter Scales & Ann Meriwether Minor Scales. The late Hugh H. Rather, Jr., Architect, preserved the image of Oakland plantation as an architectural drawing, which may not be reproduced without the permission of the Hugh H. Rather, Jr. family. Oakland is no longer in existence. It was located ½ mile East of railroad tracks at Hudsonville. (architectural drawing)
Oakleigh, built 1858 - It was purchased by Jesse P. Norfleet in Nov 1865 from J.W. Clapp for $15,000 (Book 26, 391). Norfleet sold Oakleigh to Gen. A.M. West in 1870. 91 Salem, Holly Springs. (photo) (photo courtesy of American Memory Project, Library of Congress)
Oakview Mansion, built 1864; on Rust College Campus, Holly Springs
Old Gaw House, built 1859; Van Dorn Ave, Holly Springs
Old Hudsonville Presbyterian Church, formed 1837; Hudsonville. Source: "Hometown Mississippi", James Brieger, 1997.
Old Methodist Parsonage, built 1860, The Methodist Parsonage was under construction when the Civil War broke out and to complete it, the federal blockade between Holly Springs and Memphis had to be broken to get materials. Source: The South Reporter, Nov 21, 1991 article written by Lois Swanee. Spring St, Holly Springs
Old Presbyterian Manse, built 1855; Craft & Chulahoma Sts, Holly Springs
Old Traveler (aka Long House), built 1833; Van Dorn Ave, Holly Springs
Phillips Grocery, built 1882; Van Dorn Ave, Holly Springs. (photo 1; photo 2
Pines (aka Craft Home), built 1871 by Major Addison Craft. Craft St, Holly Springs
Polk-Cochran Place, built 1832 by Gen. Thomas Polk, brother of Leonidas Polk and relative of President Polk. 9 Craft St, Holly Springs (photo courtesy of American Memory Project, Library of Congress)
Presbyterian Church, built 1860 - The Presbyterian Church was in the process of being built in 1861 when the Civil War hit town and construction was placed on hold for the war years. General Grant used all three churches as stables for his horses. The northern soldiers marched around town blowing the organ pipes and the pews held feed for the horses. After the war, the northern people were so incensed by Grant's disrespect for the sanctity of the church they sent money to assist in the completion of the church and donated the beautiful Czechoslovakian windows. During the Yellow Fever epidemic in 1878 the Sunday School rooms on the first floor were used as a morgue. The facade was originally a tower and after 1900 was changed to the present architecture. This church has been used publicly, being adjacent to the City Hall. It was also the home church of the Mississippi Synodical College and the College girls were required to attend church. (Source: The South Reporter, Nov 21, 1991 article written by Lois Swanee.)
(Robert) Raiford Home & Farm, (aka Hedge Farm) Cayce Rd, Victoria
Rand-Norfleet, built 1841; Maury St, Holly Springs
Rose Hill, built 1838 (info)
Rufus Jones House, built 1857
Rust College, founded 1866 - contains one of the oldest buildings in the USA dedicated to Black Education. This is the site of the campground for General Grant's troops. The Roy Wilkins Collection on civil rights is on display at the Leontyne Price Library. Holly Springs
Rutledge, built 1860 for Walter Goodman's son. Gholson St, Holly Springs
Sailer-Matthews, built ca 1840-1850; Center St, Holly Springs
Sandusky Place, built 1842 and is currently under restoration; Randolph St, Holly Springs
Shadowlawn, built 1839
Snowden Plantation Snowden was the home of Sally Govan Mott (wife of Brig. General Christopher Mott) until it was burned in the Civil War. It was located on Sylvestria Road. (info)
Spires-Bolling House (aka Ida B. Wells Museum), built 1853; Randolph St, Holly Springs
Spring Hollow Park, built 1700s
St. Joseph's Church (aka Yellow Fever Church & Museum), built 1840; College St, Holly Springs (photo courtesy of American Memory Project, Library of Congress)
St. Thomas Hall, built ca 1840s (info)
Strawberry Plains, built 1851 by Eben Davis. Davis was one of the earliest settlers of Marshall County. He built a Methodist Church, which burned, and also gave the land for Strawberry Church from his plantation. When the house was built it was the finest house in the country. The plantation was self- sufficient and had an ice house, flour mill, blacksmith, carriage house, cotton gin, stable, slave quarters and the school for Davis' children and the slaves' children. During the Civil War, Davis left for his other plantation in Alabama, and left his wife, Martha Greenlee to run Strawberry Plains. The home was burned during the Civil War with only the walls standing. Mrs. Davis and her children partially rebuilt the house. The Finley family owned it since the 1920s until it was donated to the National Audubon Society by the late Mrs. Margaret Finley Shackelford and the Finley family. (Source: The South Reporter, Nov 30, 2000) Plains Rd off Hwy 311. (photo)
(The William) Strickland Place, built 1828 by Dr. James Thomas/Thomson, whose daughter, Mildred, married Major William Matthew Strickland. It is believed to be the first two-story house built in Holly Springs. Jefferson Davis was a frequent visitor of this house. The owners hid a Northern officer from a Confederate raiding party. To show their appreciation the Federals did not turn the home into a hospital sparing it from eventual destruction.
Suavatooky (aka The Old Butler Place), built 1839 by B. S. Williamson. Suavatooky is an Indian name meaning Cool Water. It was owned by Dr. and Mrs. Butler from 1866 until his death in the 1880s. (photo)
Summer Trees, built 1851 by Washington Sanders Taylor on land purchased from the Chickasaw Indians; Mayhome Rd, Red Banks. (info)
Sunnyside Plantation (aka McPherson Place) Built by Rev. Malcolm and Susan Wall McPherson in Sylvestria on 1200-acre property. William Wall also lived here.
Sylvestria Once home of the Cottrells.
Tallaloosa (aka Best Cabin) (photo courtesy of American Memory Project, Library of Congress)
Tarkio, built 1854; Randolph St, Holly Springs
Terrace, built 1842; Chulahoma St, Holly Springs, (photo)
Thesian, built 1854; Spring St, Holly Springs
Thistledome, built 1840 by A.L. Chalmers. It was purchased in 1906 by E.B. Horne who later sold it to Mr. And Mrs. Deaton McAuley in 1938. Byhalia (photo)
Thomas Plantation (historical)
Tuckehoe Was the home of William Crump Sr.
(Katie) Tucker Institute, established 1883; Byhalia. Source: "Hometown Mississippi", James Brieger, 1997.
Volney Peel Home, built 1833; Laws Hill (info)
Wakefield, built 1858 by Joel E. Wynne. It was later sold to Anne Dickens in the late 1860s who married a Union officer. The house was lost in a poker game later. Salem Ave, Holly Springs (photo courtesy of American Memory Project, Library of Congress)
Walker-Hogan, built 1840
Walter Place, built 1858-59 by Colonel Harvey Washington Walter (died of yellow fever in 1878). General and Mrs. Grant lived here in Dec 1862 during the Civil War. Walter Place remained in the family until it was purchased by the Lynns in 1983. Chulahoma Ave, Holly Springs. (photo 1; photo 2) - (photo 1, photo 2 courtesy of American Memory Project, Library of Congress)
Walthall-Freeman Clark Place, built 1848 by the family of Kate Freeman Clark. Once owned by Gen. Edward Cary Walthall and later by Kate Freeman Clark. College Ave, Holly Springs (photo)
Warwick, built 1910; it was ordered prefab by Captain George Buchanan
Watson Building, built ca 1850s Once home of Judge J.W.C. Watson, whose daughter, Elizabeth D. Watson established a girl's school in the home, the Maury Institute. It was later made into the Presbyterian College, part of the Mississippi Synodical College (established in 1883). Judge Watson's step- daughter, Anna Robinson Watson, was the poet laureate of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Waverly Institute, established 1881 by by Prof. & Mrs. A.M. Moore; Byhalia. Source: "Hometown Mississippi", James Brieger, 1997.
Wells/Greer House, built 1909; Maury St, Holly Springs
West Home, built 1842. Source of picture: "Publications of the Mississippi Historical Society, Vol. VII." Franklin L. Riley, Editor. Published for the society in Oxford, MS, 1903. Submitted by Cheryl Berthelsen. (photo)
White Pillars, built 1838; 234 Maury St, Holly Springs (photo courtesy of American Memory Project, Library of Congress)
Whitten, built 1834 by D.D. Jones; Gholson St, Holly Springs
Wilkerson House, (aka Warren and Jones Law Office) Spring St, Holly Springs
Woodcote Plantation, built 1844 by Judge Alexander M. Clayton.
Woodland, built 1844 by Richard Oscar Woodson (born 26 May 1813, Cumberland Co VA). A log house was built first in 1844 which became the kitchen when the larger home was built. Location: eight miles N of Holly Springs. (info)
Woodlawn Plantation, built 1844, owned by the Minor family. Hudsonville
Yellow Fever House, built 1832. (info)
Yellow Fever Martyrs Church & Museum, built 1841, restored by the Historic Heritage Preservation Corp. Originally built as Christ Episcopal Church and used until 1857 when it was purchased by the Catholic congregation. College Ave, Holly Springs. (photo;

info)
Many of the above dates and facts were obtained from "The South Reporter", Holly Springs.
.
Return to Plantation Table of Contents
Home to MSGenWeb


Copyright Notice: All files and photographs on this site are copyrighted by their creator and/or contributor, unless otherwise noted. They may be linked to but may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from The MSGenWeb State Coordinator or the Assistant State Coordinator, and/or their contributor. Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are. It is however, quite permissible to print or save the files to a personal computer for personal use ONLY. 
 
Please contact one of the
MSGenWeb Coordinators  regarding questions, suggestions, 
    or comments about this website. 
Lori Thornton - State Coordinator
Deb Haines - Assistant State Coordinator & Special Projects ASC
Content copyright 1997-2005 MSGenWeb Team, et al where noted. 
Art and design copyright 1997-2005 MSGenWeb Team. 
All rights reserved. 

Last Update Thursday, 15-Oct-2009 18:00:05 EDT

[an error occurred while processing this directive]