Lowndes County
Special thanks to Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes 
for much of the information and photos on this page.
Aldan Hall House, ca. 1839-1848, 901 7th Ave. North, Columbus;  This Greek Revival home was built by John Topp, one of the first truustees of the Columbia Female Institues. The townhouse of four rooms with a
center stair hall was enlarged by the addition of a Federal-style portico with two octagonal columns and a west wing.  (source and Pilgrimage brochure)
Amzi Love House, ca. 1848, 305 South Seventh Street, Columbus.  Was occupied by six generations of descendants of the orginal builder;  now a Bed and Breakfast. (photo courtesy Library of Congress;  photo courtesy Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes) (source)
Arbor House, ca. 1841,  518 College St., Columbus.  This house 'within a house' was expanded to a two-story Italianate design townhouse. The inner house survives, completely restored in 1994 and is now a Bed & Breakfast Inn. (source Pilgrimage brochure;  photo courtesy Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes)
Banks House see White Arches
Barry Place/House, 506 4th St. South, Columbus;  National Register
Cira 1840. Known for its fine millwork, the Italianate two-story house features the original cypress beams and heart-pine flooring. Barry became speaker of the House of Representatives of Mississippi and presded over the 1860 Mississippi Secession Convention.  (source:  Pilgrimage brochure)
Bellemont, Neilson Road, Columbus vicinity (photo courtesy Library of Congress)
Brownrigg-Harris-Kennebrew House (aka Temple Heights); 9th St N, Columbus
Camellia Place, 416 North Seventh Street, Columbus;  built in 1847;  original red painted tin roof. Named due to the shrubs in the yard, (photo courtesy Library of Congress;  photo courtesy Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes) (source:  Pilgrimage brochure)
Cartney - Hunt House, built in 1828.  408 7th St. South, Columbus.  The oldest brick house in North Mississippi and one of the few examples of the Federal period architecture in the area. Winner of many coveted restoration awards, and today is a Bed & Breakfast Inn. (source:  Pilgrimage brochure; photo1, photo2 courtesy Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes)
(The) Cedars; Military Rd, Columbus (photo courtesy Library of Congress)
Church of the Annunciation, Columbus, oldest Catholic Church in NE Mississippi. (photo1, photo2 courtesy Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes) 
Cox-Uithoven House (aka Cedar Ridge Plantation; Cox House; The Dutch Village); Old Aberdeen Rd, Columbus (photo courtesy Library of Congress)
Errolton House, ca.  1848, 216 3rd Avenue South, Columbus. National Register.  Built in the 1840s. Errolton boasts double parlors with twin pier mirrors which reflect the beautiful chandeliers into infinity. It is enclosed by the original cast iron fence and home to a ghost named Miss Nellie, (who died in 1930...from internet info.  Source:  Pilgrimage brochure)
(William E.) Ervin House (aka Liberty Hall; Ervin-Armstrong-Fowler House); Armstrong Rd/Rt 4, Columbus
Fort House, ca. 1833, 510 7th St. North, Columbus, Greek Revival with a Gothic arch. Jib windows open from the parlor onto identical front and side porticos.  (source:  Pilgrimage brochure) (photo courtesy of Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes)
Flynn House, Columbus (photo courtesy Library of Congress)
Franklin Academy, Columbus (photo courtesy Library of Congress), 
Franklin Square (aka Pratt House), Columbus (photo courtesy Library of Congress)
(Kenneth) Gatchell House; College St, Columbus
Harris-Banks House see White Arches
(The) Haven, buiilt in 1843 by Isaac Williams and his brother, Thomas,  freed men of color. Isaac was a laborer and a slave trader, and Thomas was a blacksmith.Columbus.  312 2nd St. North, Columbus.  (source:  Pilgrimage brochure) (photo 1, photo 2 courtesy Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes)
Harrison-Imes House, ca. 1840;  419 9th Street North, Columbus; 
Built by Thomas Blewett for his daughter, Regina and James Harrison, lawyer and politician. It was the site of the 1865 marriage of Stephen D. Lee and Regina Harrison Lee. (source)
Hickory Sticks; 7th St, Columbus. 
Homewood, ca. 1836, Columbus; Original location 702 Main Street;  moved to 800 2nd St. South in 1975.  Pillars on the portico heightened during the after-move reconstruction.  (photo courtesy Library of Congress;  photo courtesy Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes)
Jones-Banks-Leigh House (aka Leighcrest); Seventh St N, Columbus
(CSA General Stephen D.) Lee House (aka Blewett-Harrison- Lee House); 7th St, Columbus (photo1, photo2, courtesy Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes; photo3 courtesy Library of Congress) (source)
Lehmquen, ca. 1838. 613 2nd St. South, Columbus.  Raised cottage, only virgin heart timbers were used in its construction;  surrounded by landscaped gardens.  (source Pilgrimage brochure)  (photo courtesy of Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes)
Leighcrest Garden, ca. 1840, 824 7th St. North, Columbus. National Register.  Circa 1840. The gardens contain fascinating Southern
plants not usually found in modern gardens. Featured during annual Spring Pilgrimage. (addt'l info from Columbus, MS website:  This lovely setting serves as a memorial to Martha Leigh who restored the original garden. It was acquired by the Leigh family in 1870. A refreshing
garden fountain and lily pond are features of the beautiful, blooming garden.)(source:  Pilgrimage brochure) (photo 1, photo 2 courtesy of Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes)
Liberty Hall Plantation, built 1835 by William Ethelbert Ervin
Lindamood Building (House) of Palmer Home for Children (aka Palmer Home); 11th Ave S, Columbus (photo courtesy Library of Congress)
Magnolia Hill, 1106 12th St. North, Columbus, raised cottage was built in 1825 of hand-hewn logs with random width pine flooring. It contains many of the original hand-blown glass window panes. (source Pilgrimage brochure;  photo courtesy Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes)
(Charles) McLaran House (aka Riverview); 2nd St S, Columbus
Mississippi State College for Women, College Street, Columbus. 
Odest state-supported school for women in the U.S, founded in 1884. Twenty-four buildings on this campus are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  (source Pilgrimage brochure;  photo1, photo2photo3 courtesy Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes) 
Old Fort House (aka Thermerlaine); Seventh St N, Columbus
Riverview (aka Burris House), 514 South Second Street, Columbus;  1847-1851, is built with 11 1/2 poound brick and identical front and rear entrances. Inside a graceful spiral staircase ristes to a cupola with floor-to-ceiling stained glass windows and a captain's walk. The plasterwork in this home is renowned for its elegance. Built as the residence for Colonel Charles McLaran, at the time of completion, Riverview and its house covered an entire city block. (source:  Pilgrimage brochure) (photo courtesy Library of Congress;  photo courtesy Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes)
Rosedale (aka W.W. Topp House); ca. 1856.  1523 9th St. South, Columbus;  This home is considered one of he finest examples of Italianate architecture in Mississippi. Rosedale's colorful, design-perfect interior is often the subject of articles and reviews. The home features the nation's largest furniture collection by American craftsman John Henry Belter.(photo courtesy Library of Congress) (source:  Pilgrimage Brochure, and source)
Rosewood Manor, ca. 1835;  719 7th St. North, Columbus, built on a hill because low places were considered unhealthy. Rosewood manor was built for a Yankee bride who would not occupy it. She said vapors were unhealthy and went North again. (source Pilgrimage brochure; photo courtesy Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes)
Sanders House, Columbus vicinity (photo courtesy Library of Congress)
ShadowLawn, built 1860 by wealthy merchant;  1024 College Street, Columbus.  Recently restored. (photo courtesy Library of Congress;   photo courtesy Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes) (source)
Shields Plantation, previous owner: Charles Shields
Sims-Brown House (aka Sunnyside); 9th St N, Columbus
Snowdoun/Snowden (aka John Marshall Billups Home); 906 3rd Ave North, Columbus;  National Register.  Crca 1854 and home of Jefferson Davis during his campaign for the U. S. Senate. It is designed around
an octagonal center hall. The rooms opening off the hall are square with triangular closets. Its seven porches are reached by jib windowns which open out at the bottom to serve as doors. Tours available during
Columbus Heritage.  (photo courtesy Library of Congress)(source:  Pilgrimage brochure)
St. Pauls Episcopal Church, Columbus, completed in 1858 and has a signed Tiffany window. Exquisite stained glass windows which depict the most important happenings in the life of Christ, beginning with the Nativity. The director of this church in the early 1900s was the grandfather of playwright Tennessee Williams. (source:  pilgrimage brochure;  photo1, photo2, photo3, photo4 courtesy Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes)
Sykes-Leigh House (aka Rosewood Manor; Fairleigh Manor); 7th St N, Columbus
Symons House (aka Corner Cottage); 4th Ave S, Columbus
Temple Heights, ca. 1837 - TEMPLE HEIGHTS:
515 9th St. North, Columbus;  National Register.  Circa 1837. Fourteen Doric columns march around three sides with four stories tall with two rooms and a hall on each floor. Open for tours year-round and during
Pilgrimage.  Columbus (photo courtesy Library of Congress) (source:  Pilgrimage brochure)
Tennessee Williams Home, Columbus; Williams was born in Columbus, Mar 26, 1911 when his grandfather was the rector at St. Paul's Episcopal Church.
(photo courtesy Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes.)
Thermerlaine, 510 North Seventh Street, Columbus (photo courtesy LIbrary of Congress)
(Pratt) Thomas House, ca. 1833, Columbus.  (photo courtesy Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes)
Twelve Gables, ca. 1838, 220 South Third Street, Columbus (photo courtesy Library of Congress;  photo1, photo2 courtesy Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes) (source)
Waverly House, ca. 1852, 1852 Waverely Mansion Road, Columbus.  (source)
Weaver Place (aka Errolton); 3rd Ave S, Columbus (photo courtesy Library of Congress)
White Arches House, aka "Columbus Eclectic", aka Harris-Banks House, ca. 1857; 7th Ave S, Columbus (source; photo courtesy Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes) (photo 1photo 2 courtesy Library of Congress)
Whitehall, 607 3rd St. South, Columbus;  Circa 1843. This pillared mansion was built near the street although the property extended over an entire city block, including gardens, stables and servants' quarters. During the Civil War, it served as a hospital for Confederate Soldiers.  (photo courtesy Library of Congress;  source:  Pilgrimage brochure)
Woodward House, Columbus (photo courtesy LIbrary of Congress)
Return to Plantation Table of Contents
Home to MSGenWeb


Copyright Notice: All files and photographs on this site are copyrighted by their creator and/or contributor, unless otherwise noted. They may be linked to but may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from The MSGenWeb State Coordinator or the Assistant State Coordinator, and/or their contributor. Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are. It is however, quite permissible to print or save the files to a personal computer for personal use ONLY. 

Last Update Thursday, 15-Oct-2009 17:59:06 EDT

[an error occurred while processing this directive]