Claiborne County

Almont Plantation - located about three miles outside of Port Gibson

Anchuka Plantation Photo 1

Bernheimer House, completed in 1901 after fire destroyed earlier home in 1899. Queen Ann Victorian with Many connections to early 1900.Owned by Nancy & Loren Quart , Now a Bed & Breakfast   Photo

Buena Vista Cotton Gin (aka Watson Steam Gin); Port Gibson

Canemount Plantation photo

Building at 801 Chinquepin Street; Chinquepin St, Port Gibson

Claremont; Claremont Dr, Port Gibson

Collina; 1834 Greek Revival home with modified Tuscan columns and charming Victorian wings overlooking a magnificent avenue of oaks. Owned Dr. David Fagan Greenwood St. Extension, Port Gibson Source Photo

Engelson House, site of the oldest formal gardens in Mississippi.

Hermitage, the birthplace of Governor Benjamin Humphrey's was originally built as a story and a half or a two story building. Following a fire in the 1860's. a part of the original hall and three rooms survived and are enclosed in the present home.  Owned by Mr.& Mrs. Clyde Nelson (historical marker) photo Source

Hollyrood; Old Hwy. 61 S, Port Gibson

Idlewild; Idlewild Dr, Port Gibson

Lucknow Plantation, previous owner: Benjamin Grubb & Mildred Mary Humphries; Port Gibson  More Info

McGregor; ca. 1845 is a Greek Revival house built by Peter A. Van Dorn. It has front and rear galleries, and a center hall flanked by two pairs of rooms. Owned by Nancy-Rie Barland SR 547, Port Gibson Source Photo

Nitta Tola Plantation, previous owners: James Hervey & Lucinda Smith Maury  More Info

Old Brickyard Place (aka Port Gibson Brick & Manufacturing Company); Anthony St, Port Gibson

Old Depot Restaurant and Lounge; Market St, Port Gibson

Port Gibson Oil Works Mill Building; Anthony St, Port Gibson

Tremont, ca 1840 owned by occupant's family since 1891. Statesman Henry Clay spoke here during presidential campaign of 1844. Home of Mrs. Edgar T. Crisler, Jr. features family portraits by Thomas Healy. Source Photo

Van Dorn House (aka The Hill);  ca. 1830 The childhood home of General Earl Van Dorn is a two and a half story masonry structure which was a rarity in this area where most homes were of wood. Owned by Douglas & Debbie Lum, Port Gibson Source Photo

Windsor Ruins, It has been aptly called the Parthenon of the Old South. Built on the eve of the American Civil War by planter Smith Coffee Daniell, II, the stately Greek Revival mansion survived the war only to be destroyed by an accidental fire in 1890. All that now stands on the site just north of Port Gibson are twenty-three fluted columns crowned with elegant iron Corinthian capitals. The stark beauty of the once grand house echoes the faded glory of the Old South.  (First 4 Photos of the ruins submitted by Bill White: photo 1, photo 2, photo 3, photo 4, photo 5 ,photo 6, drawing), Located near Port Gibson & Alcorn University. (More info)

Return to Plantation Table of Contents

Home to MSGenWeb


Copyright Notice: All files and photographs on this site are copyrighted by their creator and/or contributor, unless otherwise noted. They may be linked to but may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from The MSGenWeb State Coordinator or the Assistant State Coordinator, and/or their contributor. Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are. It is however, quite permissible to print or save the files to a personal computer for personal use ONLY. 

Last Update Thursday, 15-Oct-2009 17:52:40 EDT

[an error occurred while processing this directive]