ADAMS COUNTY


Airlie (aka Belvidere; Old Buckner Place), built before 1790.  Purchased by Aylette Buckner family in 1832, Airlie was used as a Unionl hospital during the Civil War, Elm St., Natchez
Anchorage Plantation
Annie Yeager Junkin House, Located at 111 South Rankin Street. This small brick house was used as a Catholic acadamy begun by Bishop John Joseph CHANCHE, who arrived in Natchez May 18, 1841. Eventually the property belonged to the STEWART family, who held it for over 100 yerars.  In April, 1971, the Natchez Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy purchased the property from Ruth Stewart Tomlinson, for it's permanent home.  At that time the house was renamed for Mrs. Hugh JUNKIN, then the oldest living member of the Chapter, and who had served as chapter president for many years.
Arlington, built 1816 by Pierre Surget for his daughter Jane.  Jane married John Hampton White, who designed the first bank building in Mississippi.  Main St., Natchez
Auburn, built 1812 by Levi Weeks for Lyman Harding, an attorney and planter.  Purchased in 1827 by Stephen Duncan.  Duncan Park, Natchez (photo1, photo2)
Aunt Clara's Cottage (photo)
Aunt Frannie's House, Natchez - Today a Bed & Breakfast (photo)
Avalange Plantation, sits on the MS River
Aventine Plantation, Natchez
Bahin House, Natchez,  ca. 1835 On National Register (photo)
(The) Bankers House, built ca 1838, Canal St., Natchez.  Home of bank official with the First Commerce Bank.  (photo) (photo)
(John) Baynton's House (photo)
Beau Pre's Plantation
Bedford Plantation, off U.S. 61, Natchez
Beechland, off US 61, Natchez
Belfield Plantation
Bellevue (see William Ailes House), Canal St., Natchez
Belvidere (aka Airlie; Old Buckner Place, see Airlie)
Belvidere, built ca 1838, Homochitto St., Natchez (photo)
Berkeley Plantation
Beverly Plantation
Bledsoe House, (see King's Tavern), Jefferson St., Natchez
Bontura, built ca 1851 by Robert Smith, a free African-American who ran a carriage service, Broadway St., Natchez (photo)
Bottany Hill Plantation
Bourbon Hill Plantation (aka Montrose), south of Ellis Cliffs
Brandon Hall Plantation, built ca 1856 by Gerard Brandon, U.S. 61, Washington. (photo)
Brandon House, ca. 1890 (photo)
The Briars, (aka Briers), built 1814-18 possibly by John Perkins, Natchez. Varina Banks Howell, dau of William & Margaret Howell, married Jefferson Davis on Feb 26, 1845 in the parlor of The Briars. (photo 1; photo 2
Brighton Plantation, owned by John S. and Frances B. Babbitt Mosby in the 1850s and 1860s.
Browmers Prissint Plantation, previous owner: Mr. Adams
Buckhunt Plantation, near Ellis Cliffs, previous owner: Dr. Mercer
Buie House (aka Ezell House), Natchez
(The) Burn, built ca 1834, Oak St., Natchez (bed & breakfast) (photo courtesy Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes)
Canowa Plantation, on MS River, previous owners: DO Metcalf, W. McAlroy
Canowa Plantation, at Gaillards Lake, previous owner: AG Ligon & Co.
Carthage Plantation, a cotton plantation owned ca 1867 by John & Katherine Surget Minor, South of Natchez. (Source)
Cedar Grove Plantation, built ca 1830s by Absalom Sharp of NJ, sits on 150 acres on Kingston Rd., Natchez. Cedar Grove is now a Bed & Breakfast.
Cedars Plantation, built ca 1830, sits on 176 acres on Rt 553, Church Hill
Charles Patterson House (aka Camelia Gardens), Union St., Natchez
Cherokee, built 1794-1810, Wall St., Natchez (photo)
Cherry Grove Plantation, built ca 1788 for Pierre Surget on 2500 acres, off Kingston Rd., Natchez. (Source)
China Grove Plantation, built 1870 by August & Sarah Mazique, former slaves of neighboring Oakland Plantation, Hwy 61 South, Natchez. (Source)
Clermont Plantation, previous owner: John Nevitt
Clifford Plantation
Cliffs Plantation, Natchez - John S. Coulson, traded or sold his home in Natchez for the Cliffs after a cannon ball almost hit one of his daughters who was sitting in the parlor. They lived at the Cliffs during the Civil War.
Clifton Plantation, Highpoint, a bed and breakfast, now resides on the grounds of Clifton Plantation, Linton Ave., Natchez 
Clover Hill Plantation
Concord Plantation, in 1788, Don Gayoso built Concord Mansion in Concord, two miles NE of Natchez. In 1798, Colonel Winthrop Sargent, first American Governor of MS Territory, moved into the mansion. It burned to the ground in 1916. Source: "Hometown Mississippi" by James Brieger.
Connelly's Tavern (see House on Ellicott's Hil)
Conti House, built ca 1785, Wall St., Natchez
Corrina Plantation
Cottage Gardens, built 1793-4, Myrtle Ave., Natchez (photo)
Coyle House, ca 1793-94, Wall St., Natchez (photo)
D'Evereux Plantation (aka D'Evereux Hall), the home was built ca 1840 and is 8000 sq. ft., D'Evereaux Dr., Natchez (photo)
(John) Dicks House, built ca 1888, Union St., Natchez (photo)
Dixie, built 1795 
Dr. Charles H. Dubs Townhouse , built ca 1852-4, Pearl St., Natchez (photo)
Dunbarton Plantation, previous owner: William Dunbar 1860s, East of Natchez
Dunleith Plantation was built in 1856 by Charles & Mary Routh Dahlgren to replace Routhlands after it burned in 1855. Charles was the son-in-law of the original owner/builder of Routhlands. When Mary died in 1859, Charles sold the house to Alfred Vidal Davis who changed the name to Dunleith. Homochitto St., Natchez (Bed & Breakfast) (photo)
Edgewood, MS 554, Natchez (photo)
Egypt Plantation
Elgin Plantation, built 1792 for Dr. John Carmichael & Annis Dunbar Jenkins, Dunbar Rd., Natchez; now a bed and breakfast. (photo)
Ellis Cliffs Plantation
Ellislee, built ca 1800 
(The) Elms, built 1785-1804 for David Stanton, Washington St., Natchez (photo)
Elms Court (aka Elmscourt), purchased 1852 by Francis Surget as a wedding present for his daughter Jane and her husband, Ayres Merrill; John R. Junkin Dr., Natchez (photo1, photo2)
Eustatia Plantation, may have been located near or on MS River, previous owner: Mrs. Eustis
Ezell House (see Buie House), Natchez
Fair Oaks Plantation (aka Woodbourne; Green Oak), built ca 1800, U.S. 61, Natchez (photo)
Fatherland Plantation Site (see Grand Village of the Natchez Indians), Natchez
Fish Pond Plantation, Natchez
(The) Forest Plantation, owned after 1783 by William & Dinah Clark Dunbar
Foster's Mound, off US 61, Natchez
Gerard Brandon IV House, Union St., Natchez
Glen Aubin (aka Rounds Plantation), off US 61, Natchez
Glen Mary Plantation and Tenant House, Foster Mound Rd., Natchez
Glenburnie, purchased in 1904 by Jane "Jennie" Surget Merrill until her death in 1932, John R. Junkin Dr., Natchez (photo1, photo2)
Glencannon, (see Glenfield Plantation), Providence Rd. and Gov. Fleet Rd., Natchez
Glenfield Plantation, built 1814, Providence Rd., Natchez (now a bed and breakfast)
Gloucester, (aka Bellevue) Lower Woodville Rd., Natchez
Governor Holmes House, built 1794, Natchez (photo)
Grand Village of the Natchez Indians (aka Fatherland Plantation Site), Natchez (photo/info)
Green Leaves (see Koontz House), built in 1838, Natchez (photo1, photo2)
Griffith-McComas, built ca 1794, Natchez
Grove Plantation
Hawthorne Place (aka Hawthorne), built ca 1814, Lower Woodville Rd., Natchez (photo)
Henderson-Britton House (aka Magnolia Hall), built 1858, Pearl St., Natchez
Hermitage Plantation, previous owner: Foster
Hillside, Hutchins Landing Rd., Natchez
Holly Hedges, built ca 1796, Natchez
Hollywood Plantation, 1860s owner: James A Gillespie
Hope Farm, built ca 1775- 1789 by Marcus Iler (also referred to as Marcus Hoiler); Homochitto St., Natchez
House on Ellicott's Hill, (aka Connelly's Tavern; James Moore House) built ca 1798, Andrew Ellicott raised the American flag on this hill in 1797; Pearl St., Natchez (photo, scroll down to it) (photo 1photo 2 courtesy Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes)
Hutchins Landing Plantation
Independence Plantation, previous owner: Smiths
Ingleside Farm
Jackson Point Plantation, on MS River, previous owners: W Jackson; WH Dunbar
James Moore House (see House on Ellicott's Hill; aka Connelly's Tavern), built ca 1798, Pearl St., Natchez 
John Baynton House, Main St., Natchez
Keyhole House, Main St., Natchez.  Named for the "keyhole" configuration of the upstairs window.  (photo)
King's Tavern, (aka Bledsoe House), Jefferson St., Natchez
Koontz House, (aka Green Leaves), Rankin St., Natchez   (photo1, photo2)
Lagonia, built ca 1790, Church Hill
Lansdowne, built 1853, Natchez
Laurel Hill Plantation, was owned by Richard Ellis. His daughter, Mary, inherited the plantation and moved there with her husband, Capt. Benjamin Farrar; Dr. Mercer owned this plantation at one time; off US 61 near Ellis Cliffs, Natchez. (source)
Leslie Kaiser Plantation
Linden Plantation, built 1800 by James Moore as a four room cottage on land he inherited from his father. After quite a large expansion the Conner Family purchased the house in 1849, and it has remained in that family for 6 generations. During the Civil War, Mrs. Jane Conner became known as "Little War Mother," as she had five sons and three son-in-laws fighting for the Confederacy. The front of the house was used in "Gone with the Wind" and is featured on the album cover of the soundtrack from that movie. Today, the house that is filled with a wonderful collection of Federal Style and Sheraton Furnishings. It now serves as a bed and breakfast. Linden Pl., Natchez. (photo1, photo2)
Lisle-Shields Town House (aka Shields Town House; Petit Bijou), Union St., Natchez
Longwood (aka Nutt's Folly), built 1860-61 by Samuel Sloan for Dr. Haller Nutt. The family resided in the basement of Longwood since the upper levels were never completed when construction was halted during the Civil War; Natchez. (photo)
Magnolia Hall (see Henderson-Britton House), built 1858, Pearl St., Natchez (photo courtesy Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes)
Magnolia Hill/Hills Plantation - previous owner: Dr. Alexander & Wealthy Thomas Boyd, Natchez
Mead Villa Plantation, Washington
Melrose Plantation, built 1847, previous owner: McMurran family, Natchez (photo 1photo 2photo 3photo 4 courtesy Kenneth and Jackie Rhodes)
Mercer House (aka Rapalje-Mercer House), built ca 1815, Wall St., Natchez
Mistletoe, built 1807 by John Bisland as a honeymoon cottage for his son, Peter and Barbara Foster Brisland, on a Spanish land grant; MS 554, Natchez
Monmouth Plantation, built ca 1818 by Governor John A Quitman; Melrose Ave., Natchez. It is now a hotel. (photo)
Montaigne, built ca 1855 by Confederate General William T Martin; Liberty Rd., Natchez (photo)
Montebello Plantation
Montpellier (aka Montpelier), MS 551, Natchez
Montrose Plantation
Morrisiana Plantation, on Homochitto River, previous owner: SA Cartwright
Morrisiana Plantation, on MS River, previous owners: W and Mary M Morrison; G Jonte
Mount Locust, built ca 1784 and operated as an inn for travelers along the Trace; Church Hill. Owned 1784 by William Ferguson until his death in 1801 then his wife inherited the property. (photo)
Mount Olive, Natchez
Mount Repose, built ca 1810, was home of John Bisland; Pine Ridge.
Mrytle Terrace (photo)
Neibert-Fisk House (aka Choctaw), Wall St., Natchez
Oak Grove, built 1830, Church Hill
Oakland, (aka Railey House; Mazique House), Lower Woodville Rd., Natchez
Oakland Plantation, owned ca 1860s by John & Katherine Surget Minor, Natchez. (Source)
Oakley Grove Plantation
Oakwood Plantation, Off Kingston Rd., Natchez
Old Buckner Place (aka Airlie; Belvidere; see Airlie), built before 1790, Airlie was used as a Federal hospital during the Civil War, Elm St., Natchez
Old Spanish House, built 1796, Wall & Washington Sts., Natchez
Ormonde Plantation, near Ellis Cliffs; previous owner: Dr. Mercer.
Overton Plantation
Palatine Plantation
Palmetto Plantation, on MS River; previous owner: E Surget
Palmetto Point Plantation, on MS River; previous owners: DD Withers; JA McGall
Palmyra Plantation, previous owners: Quitman; Turner
Palo Alto Plantation, a cotton plantation which was owned ca 1867 by John & Katherine Surget Minor, Natchez. (Source)
Parish House of San Salvadore, built ca 1786, Market St., Natchez
(The) Parsonage, built 1852 by the Methodist Church on land donated by Peter Little (owner of Rosalie) on behalf of his deeply religious wife. It was used as a home for visiting ministers; Natchez
Patrick Murphy House, Irvine Lane, Natchez
Pleasant Hill, built 1803, Pearl St., Natchez (photo)
Poplar Grove Plantation
Priest Home, built ca 1783, Natchez
Presbyterian Manse, built ca 1830 (photo) (photo, scroll down to it) 
Propinquity Plantation photo
Providence Plantation, owned by the Veazie family until 1863 when it was purchased in 1875 by John Roy Lynch at a Sheriff's sale. It was purchased from Lynch in 1891 by Mrs. Catherine Johnson.
Ravenna/Ravennaside, built 1903, Union St., Natchez (photo)
Retirement Plantation
Richland Plantation, home built ca 1848 and is 7,375 sq ft, sits on 100 acres on River Rd., Natchez
Richmond, built 1784/ 1832/1860, it was built in three stages, Natchez (photo original entrance at left end of house) (photo of current front entrance)
River Place Plantation, near Ellis Cliffs; previous owner: C Wolcott
River Place Plantation, near Natchez Island; previous owner: B Wade
River Place Plantation, on St Catherine Creek; previous owners: W Ford; S Gregory
Riverside, built 1858, is currently a bed and breakfast, Clifton Ave., Natchez 
Roach Plantation
Rokeby Plantation, built late 1700s; it was severely damaged in a tornado in 1908; Church Hill.
Roos House, Linton Ave, Natchez (photo)
Rosalie, built ca 1820 by Peter Little for his wife, Eliza Lowe Little. It was sold in 1857 to Andrew Wilson at public auction. Orleans St., Natchez. (photo; info)
Rosswood Plantation, built ca 1857; a cotton plantation of 1250 acres previously owned by Dr. Walter Ross and Mabella Chamberlain Wade.
Rounds Plantation (see Glen Aubin), off US 61, Natchez
Routhland (aka The John Routh House), Winchester Rd., Natchez (photo)
Routhlands was built in the late 18th century by Job Routh. It burned in 1855 and was rebuilt by his son-in-law, Charles Dahlgren. The name was changed to Dunleith in 1859 by Alfred Vidal Davis. Homochitto St., Natchez. (Bed & Breakfast) (photo)
Saragossa, built 1769-1878, owned 1820-1850 by Stephen Duncan then by the Smith family; Saragossa Rd., Natchez 
Scott Home, built 1796 by Andrew Marchalk as a wedding present for his daughter, Jane Elenore Marchalk Scott; Natchez
Selma Plantation, Gerard Brandon II was born here and later became Governor of MS; Selma Rd., Natchez. Source: "Hometown Mississippi" by James Brieger.   U.S. Highway 61 North, Washington vicinity, Adams County, MS  photo
Shadyside, Shadyside St., Natchez
Sligo Plantation, owned by Pearce Noland until his death in 1857; his wife then inherited the property; Kingston 
Smart-Griffin House (aka Angeletty House), St. Catherine St., Natchez
Smith-Buntura-Evans House (aka Evansview), built 1790, Broadway St., Natchez
Smithland, Kingston-Hutchins Rd., Natchez
Spokan Plantation
Springfield Plantation, built ca 1790. Andrew Jackson and Rachel Donelson Robards married there in 1791. Rt 553, Church Hill
Stanton Hall, (aka Belfast), built ca 1857 by the Stanton family; High St., Natchez (photo 1; photo 2; photo 3
Tillman House, High St., Natchez
(The) Towers, built before 1818, Natchez
Traveller's Rest Plantation, Natchez
Trinity Plantation
Twin Oaks, built 1812; previous owners: Lewis Evans, sheriff of MS Territory; Mother Cornelia Connelly, foundress of the Society of the Holy Child Jesus; Natchez. (photo1, photo2
Van Court Town House, Washington St., Natchez
Wake Fields Plantation, on MS River; previous owner: WH Dunbar
Warren-Erwin House, Palestine Rd., Washington
Waverly Plantation, previous owner: Dr John T Scott
Wayside Plantation
Weymouth Hall, built 1855, Cemetery Rd., Natchez (photo)
White Cliffs Plantation, Will of Richard Ellis, Oct 17, 1792: Wife, Mary Ellis, inherited the plantation at White Cliff (1000 acres) and a large number of slaves. Source: Mississippi Court Records , by J. Estelle Stewart King. Beverly Hills, CA. 1936
White Cottage (aka Twin Oaks), Homochitto St., Natchez
Wigwam, built 1836, Natchez
William Ailes House (aka Bellevue), built by Thomas Bowen, Canal St., Natchez
William Johnson House, built 1841; William Johnson was born a slave in 1820, he was later freed and built a substantial real estate fortune. He was murdered by a neighbor over a boundary dispute. State St., Natchez.
(photo)
Winchester House, Main St., Natchez
Windy Hill Manor, home of Elizabeth Brandon Stanton; Aaron Burr awaited trial for treason here in 1807; Natchez. (photo 1; photo 2
Gen. Robert Stanton married Jane Chapline and they had five children. Robert and three sons died of yellow fever and Jane married his brother, Dr. Frederick Stanton, and they had five children. The home was named Windy Hill Manor after the addition of rooms and it was redecorated. Daughter, Miss Elizabeth Stanton, ran the estate after both parents died. She died in 1942 at 91 years of age. Source: Natchez on the Mississippi. Kane, Harnett T. New York: Wm Morrow & Co. 1947
Woodstock, Carmel Church Rd., Natchez
York Plantation
Return to Plantation Table of Contents
Home to MSGenWeb


Copyright Notice: All files and photographs on this site are copyrighted by their creator and/or contributor, unless otherwise noted. They may be linked to but may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from The MSGenWeb State Coordinator or the Assistant State Coordinator, and/or their contributor. Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are. It is however, quite permissible to print or save the files to a personal computer for personal use ONLY. 

Last Update Thursday, 15-Oct-2009 17:42:29 EDT

[an error occurred while processing this directive]