Pike County Mississippi
“The brothers George, Nathaniel and John Wells left South Carolina in 1804 and with their families traveled across western NC to the French Broad River in East TN. From there by flatboat to the Tennessee River and into the Ohio and then to the Mississippi landing in Adams Co. MS just north of Natchez at the mouth of Cole Creek. George and Nathaniel [John?] settled in what is now Amite County MS. Nathaniel settled three miles north of Summit in Pike County. (From Sharpe) Nathaniel Wells and Elizabeth Simmons were married in 1802 and in 1804 moved to Miss. In 1812 he raised a company of Cavalry to fight in the Creek Indian War. In 1814 he was elected a Major in the 13th Regt. and served in the Battle of New Orleans. In 1821 he became a member of the Miss. Legislature. Was an elder in the Pisgah Presbyterian Church of Amite County, MS, where he was a charter member.” (Taken from rootsweb.com World Connect Project.)
Nathaniel Wells’ parents were Thomas and Anne Bailey Wells.
Wife #1: Elizabeth Simmons. They married September 18, 1800 in Abbeville, SC. She was born 12-31-1782 in SC and died 7-10-1835 in Pike County, MS. Her parents were Robert and Ann Miller Simmons. They were in Amite County in 1810 and in Washington Parish, LA in 1820 and are buried in the Morris Cemetery there.
Title: Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve: Page: nps.gov
Original Burial: 1843 in Johnstons Station, Mississippi 2nd Burial: 1943, One Hundred Years Later. ... At Chalmette National Cemetery, Louisiana 46A 13151A Wells, Nathaniel Oct. 16, 1843 War of 1812 Also Elizabeth S. Wells, Wife; Also served in Mexican War
1. Anna 10-11-1802 in SC. married Zachariah Reeves about 1822. Died 7-20-1866 in Pike Co. Buried in Nathaniel Wells Cemetery.
2. Thomas 9-13-1805 Wilkinson Co., MS. Married Cynthia Thompson 9-28-1826 in Amite Co. Died 9-23-1884 in Hinds County. Bureid Bethesda Presbyterian Church Cem.
3. Robert A. 2-8-1807 Amite Co., MS.
4. William Morrow 6-27-1808 Amite Co., MS Married Nancy W. Thompson 10-22-1829 in MS. Died May 8, 1871 in Hinds County, MS.
5. Mary Vashti 12-7-1809 Amite County, MS. Married Michael McNulty in 1826.
M#2 Mr.Watson. Died 5-2-1835.
6. Rosalba 6-10-1814 Pike. married James S. Gatlin in 1832 in Pike Co, MS. Died 1881 in Pike County. Buried in Nathaniel Wells Cemetery.
7. Ebenezer Miller 11-23-1815 Pike. Married Rachel Love 4-17-1834 in MS. Died May 1875 in Kosciusko, Attala, MS.
8. Christopher Columbus 5-20-1817 Pike Co, MS. Died 1-8-1881. Married #1 Arminda
Sims, Married #2 Elizabeth Hoover.
9. Nathaniel Jr. 11-16-1818 Pike Co., MS. Married Martha Sutton 1841 in MS. Died
7-31-1886 in Amite County.
10. Sabrina 1-4-1821 Pike Co. Died 6-18-1879 in Pike. Buried in Nathaniel Wells cemetery. Married #1, Abel W. Harrington in 1838. Married #2 Ransom Magee in 1846 in Pike Count.
11. George Washington 6-18-1822 Summit, MS. Died 8-23-1870 in Summit, MS. Married #1 nancy Hoover and #2 Mary Elizabeth Thompson on 12-17-1846.
Nathaniel Wells Wife #2: Sarah Rhoda Walker b. 7-22-1806 Franklin, GA
Married 1837 in MS. Died 3-7-1844 in Pike Co. Buried in N Wells cemetery
D/O John and Sarah Elizabeth Gates Walker.
2. Eleazer A. b. 9-18-1839 MS
3. James Smylie b. 10-31-1841 MS
4. Elizabeth Rhoda b. 2-17-1844 MS (Lizzie Rhoda)