Pike County Mississippi
Peter Quin was born April 11, 1750 in Ireland and immigrated to the US about 1769, settling in Virginia.
He married Judith Robinson* on August 11, 1776 in Mecklenburg County, VA, and served in the Revolutionary
War in the 8th Virginia Regiment.
Peter and Judith had 7 children between 1779 and 1789: Daniel, Richard, Nancy, Henry, Hugh, Peter
In 1810 at the age of 60 Peter decided to move to the Mississippi Territory, either gave to his children or
sold the considerable land he owned in the Carolinas and departed for our area in 1811 or 1812. He settled
in the Clear Creek/Bogue Chitto River area in 1813. In the next few years six of their seven children followed
them to Mississippi. Only their youngest child, Mary, who had married Abner MacAfee remained in
Cleveland County, NC where they lived and died. Mary and Abner were the parents of six children.
The Quin homestead on the Bogue Chitto overlooked the new county seat of Holmesville which was
incorporated in 1820. The Holmesville Cemetery was established on Peter Quin’s land. Peter died in
Holmesville on December 29, 1824 and Judith on October 6, 1840.
Daniel Quin married Keturah Deere and had 11 children. He’s buried one mile east of Walker’s Bridge.
Richard Quin married Mary Graham and had 12 children. He’s buried at Quin’s Station, 3 miles south
Nancy Quin married James Bridges and they had 8 children. She’s buried at Holmesville.
Henry Quin married Elizabeth Graham (sister of Mary) and is buried in the Quin Cemetery west of
Hugh Quin married Mrs. Frances Carruth Allison. He was a Baptist missionary and medical doctor
and settled in Pal Alto, MS where he is buried. They had 8 children.
Peter Quin, Jr. married Martha Catherine Moore and had 13 children. They are buried at Holmesville.
Source: The Family History of Peter A. Quin by Madge Quin Fugler
*The Judith Robinson Chapter, DAR, is named in honor of Judith Robinson Quin.
Percy Edwards Quin, was born near Liberty, Amite County, Miss., on October 30, 1872; attended
the public schools; graduated from Gillsburg Collegiate Institute, Amite County, Miss., in 1890 and
from Mississippi College, Clinton, Miss., in 1893. He taught school in McComb in 1893 and 1894;
studied law; was admitted to the bar in 1894 and commenced practice in McComb. He was the McComb
City attorney in 1895; a delegate to the Democratic State conventions in 1899 and 1912, and was elected
to the State House of Representatives for 1900-1902. He was an unsuccessful candidate for election in 1910
to the Sixty-second Congress, but was elected as a Democrat to the Sixty-third and to the nine succeeding
Congresses, serving from March 4, 1913, until his death in Washington, D.C., on February 4, 1932. He was
chairman, of the Committee on Military Affairs (Seventy-second Congress). He is buried in the City
Cemetery (Cedar Hill) in Natchez, Miss.