Augustus Albe Lull
AUGUSTUS ALBE LULL, one of the pioneer residents and business men of Pontiac, Oakland county, Michigan, is a well known capitalist of the city, having large investments in real estate and various business concerns. He is a vigorous man, of mental strength and activity, although 86 years of age, and since 1836 has been a resident of Pontiac.
Mr. Lull was born in Hartland, Windsor County, Vermont, and is a son of Albe and Mary Levina (Cabot) Lull, being a descendant on his mother’s side from Sebastian Cabot. His father, who was born December 7, 1792, and who was a general merchant of Hartland, Vermont, came west and died at what is now Bay City, Michigan, in 1838. His wife died in Vermont.
At the age of 19 years, in 1836, A. A. Lull came to Pontiac, and clerked in the dry goods store of Seth Beach, one of the earliest and best merchants of Pontiac. In the spring of 1841, he established a dry goods store with Albert F. Draper, under the firm name of Lull & Draper, conducting the store where the Palace Drug Store now is situated. In 1843, with H. N. Howard, he erected a new flouring mill on the site of the old Pontiac Mill, and conducted it along with the mercantile business for some years, the property then passing into the hands of Matthews & Beach. Mr. Lull sold out the dry goods business September 30, 1865, to enter the field of banking. With Theron A. Flower and Stephen Baldwin, and Willard M. McConnell he organized the Second National Bank of Pontiac, which opened its doors for business in October, 1865, with Mr. Flower as president, and our subject as cashier. Mr. Lull served as cashier during the 20 years of its charter as a national bank, and upon its re-organization in 1885, as the Pontiac National Bank, became its president and served as such nearly six years, his nephew Albe Lull being cashier. He resigned the presidency January 1, 1891, and was succeeded by William G. Hinman, now deceased. Mr. Lull was cashier and had the management of the bank during the panic of 1873, and it is greatly to his credit that the bank was one of the few in the State and the only one in the county to keep its doors open and pay its accounts in full. The Pontiac National Bank was succeeded by the Pontiac Savings Bank, which purchased the old building and assumed the business of the old bank. Mc. Lull is now largely interested in real estate and other interests. He is a stockholder and director of the Pontiac Wheel Company, one of the growing vehicle industries of the city, and his nephew Albe Lull is secretary, treasurer and general manager. He was the first treasurer of the Eastern Michigan Asylum and held that office for several years. He was also one of the directors of the City Water Board which established the water works at Pontiac,—a fine plant of which any city might justly be proud. Mr. Lull has resided at his present location at the corner of Williams and Pike streets since 1846, and in 1861 built his present comfortable home.
Mr. Lull was married October 12, 1841, to Clerissa G. Elliott, a daughter of Charles Elliott, a farmer who located at Pontiac as early as 1838. Charles Elliott came from Litchfield, Connecticut. He and his wife reared a large family, among them being: W. G., a physician, formerly located in Pontiac, but now a resident of Holly Springs, Mississippi; Richard H., a druggist who died at Pontiac; Clerissa G. (Mrs. Lull); and a daughter who married Dr. Isaac Paddock of Pontiac, who has a son practicing medicine in New York City. All but one of the daughters are deceased, Mrs. Lull dying May 25, 1890. Our subject is a Republican in politics, and prior to the organization of that party was a Whig. Religiously, he is a member of the Presbyterian Church, of which he has been trustee for over 40 years, and elder for the past 38 years.
This Page Was Last Updated