M. H. Cravens, M.D.
O. H. CRAVENS, M. D., Arlington, Texas, was born in Jefferson county, Indiana, March 1, 1859. He was reared on a farm in his native State, working on the farm in summer and attending the district schools in winter, and later taking a five-years course at Hanover College, in Indiana. After completing his college course, he began the study of medicine in the office of Dr. S. C. Cravens, at Bloomfield, Indiana, where he remained one year. In 1880 he attended the Jefferson School of Medicine, Louisville, Kentucky, and in 1883 graduated at the Kentucky School of Medicine, of Louisville, Kentucky.
Immediately after his graduation Dr. Cravens came to Texas and located at Arlington, where he engaged in the practice of his profession in partnership with his brother, Dr. T. A. Cravens. This brother subsequently removed to Oklahoma, and left the field to him, and he has since continued here successfully, and, both as a gentleman and physician, has won a high standing in the town and surrounding country. In 1891 he took a course and received a degree in the New York Polyclinic, thus further preparing himself for his life work. In a comparatively short time his practice so extended and increased that he was unable to answer all his calls, and in January, 1894, he took in as partner Dr. B. F. Brittain, like himself, a skilled physician and surgeon, the two forming one of the strongest medical firms in northern Texas, they being thoroughly equipped in all branches of medicine and surgery.
Dr. M. H. Cravens is a son of John C. and Nancy (Manaugh) Cravens, natives of Pennsylvania and Virginia, respectively. John C. Cravens went with his father and family to Indiana at an early day, about 1830, and first located at Indianapolis, that city being then a mere village, and the surrounding country swampy and abounding in chills and fever. From there he soon afterward removed to Jefferson county, where he settled on a farm, reared his family, and spent the rest of his days.
The Doctor’s grandfather Cravens, was a school teacher in early life, but after going to Indiana settled down to farming. He died in Indiana at the age of forty-nine years. Grandfather Manaugh was also a farmer. John C. and Nancy Cravens had twelve children, all of whom are living, viz.: Addie; James; Dr. S. C., Bloomfield, Indiana; Angie, wife of L. A. Riley, a druggist of Corydon, Indiana; John L., Superintendent of Schools in Greene county, Indiana; Elizabeth; Dr. T. A., Oklahoma; Louisa; Rev. W. A., a Presbyterian minister of Missouri; R. S., pharmacist, Arlington, Texas; Dr. M. H., whose name heads this article; and Dr. E. R., of Marco, Indiana. The father died in 1888, at the advanced age of seventy-eight years; the mother in 1890, at the age of seventy—two.
Dr. M. H. Cravens was married in May, 1886, to Miss Betty Burney, born January 10, 1860, daughter of Dr. W. L. and Mary (Wynn) Burney. Dr. Burney came from North Carolina to Texas in 1852 and located at Quitman, Wood county, where he practiced his profession until 1870: That year he removed to Tarrant county and settled at Johnson’s Station, where he continued in active practice until his death, in August, 1877. Mrs. Burney was born at Holly Springs, Mississippi, and came with her parents to Texas in 1839, their settlement being on a farm in Nacogdoches county. Her father, Mr. Wynn, was a harness-maker by trade, which business he carried on in connection with his farming operations. Subsequently he removed to Rusk county, this State, where he passed the rest of his days, dying in 1873. His family by his first wife consisted of six children, namely: Susan, Joel, Mary, Jessie, William and Sallie. The children of his second marriage were: Caroline, Robert, Lucy and Jessie. Dr. and Mrs. Burney had two children, J. W., a lawyer of Fort Worth, Texas; and Betty, wife of Dr. Cravens. The Dr. and Mrs. Cravens have three children, Mary, Thomas L. and Burney.
Dr. Cravens is a member of the Knights of Honor and Knights of Pythias, and his political affiliations are with the Democratic party. Mrs. Cravens is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
This Page Was Last Updated