Cemetery is to the right
of the fire lane and beneath the clump of trees. The road
is so steep and rutted that it requires four-wheel drive
to traverse. Do not attempt to drive road in wet conditions.
Road is on private property under lease to a hunting club.
Do not enter beyond locked gate without permission of property
owner or lease holder.
and photographed August 18, 2006
William T. Thornton
Joseph Burks, guide, and T.S.Thornton
The cemetery is located about 1/2
mile north of current Hatley/Detroit Road just east of Weaver's
Creek at the site of the old Stockton farm. The land is
in corporate ownership and leased by a hunting club. Even
in dry weather it required a four-wheeled-drive vehicle
to traverse the steep and rutted road --- would have been
impossible during wet weather.
The cemetery contains one marker with three names (one name
per side on 3 sides) and three footmarkers with initials.
The tombstone has these names:
on the east face of the stone:
AMANDA, wife of FRANKLIN S. STOCKTON
Sept. 15. 1828
Aug. 6, 1915
on the north face of the stone:
FRANKLIN S. STOCKTON
Oct. 10, 1829
on the south face of the stone:
SARAH E, daughter of FRANKLIN S. and AMANDA C. STOCKTON
Dec 4, 1850
June 22, 1899
The three footmarkers have the following initials:
The cemetery is overgrown
with bushes and small trees and there are several large
trees that have fallen across the burial site. Joe Burks
and Sherman Thornton examine the one large marker in the
East side of marker is for
Amanda C. [Jordan] Stockton, wife of Franklin S. Stockton;
1828 - 1915.
North side of marker is for Franklin
S. Stockton, b Oct. 10, 1829. This is probably FRANKLIN
STEWART STOCKTON who died Nov 21, 1923. He is probably buried
here and his death date never cut into the stone.
South side of marker is
for Sarah E. Stockton, daughter of Franklin S. Stockton
and Amanda C. Stockton; 1850 - 1899.