Dunbar Rowland
Director of Miss. Dept. of Archives & History

Source: Rowland, Dunbar, ed. Mississippi, Comprising Sketches of Counties, Towns, Events, Institutions, and Persons, Arranged in Cyclopedic Form, in three volumes. Vol. 2. Atlanta: Southern Historical Publishing Association, 1907. pages 578-579

Rowland, Dunbar, Directory of the Mississippi Department of Archives and History, was born August 25, 1864, at Oakland, Miss., and is the youngest son of Dr. William Brewer Rowland and Mary (Bryan) Rowland. His mother was a direct descendant of Charles Moorman of Louisa county, Virginia, who emancipated his slaves in 1778. William Brewer Rowland was the son of Col. Creed T. Rowland and Matilda (Brewer) Rowland of Henry county, Virginia. Creed T. Rowland moved to Mississippi about 1840 and settled in Lowndes county. After remainng there a few years he removed to Aberdeen, Monroe county, and lived on his plantation, "Rowland Place," near that city, dying there in 1866. He was the son of Michael Rowland and Elizabeth (Hairston) Rowland, natives of Henry county, Virginia. Michael Rowland served in the Revolutionary Army and took part in the battle of Guilford Court House. He was the son of Andrew Rowland a descendant of John Rowland of Surrey county, England, who immigrated to America in 1635, and resided in Virginia. Dunbar Rowland received his primary education in the private schools of Memphis, Tenn., and was prepared for college at Oakland Academy. In 1882 he entered the Freshman Class of the Mississippi A. & M. College and was graduated in 1886 with the degree of B. S.; was first anniversarian of the Philotechnic Society in 1885, and delivered the second Alumni oration in 1888. In 1886 he entered the Law Department of the State University and was graduated from that institution in 1888 with the degree of LL. B.; was senior debater at Commencement, June, 1888. In November, 1888, he located in Memphis, Tenn., for the practice of law and remained four years, his culture and scholarly attainments attracting the attention of his associates. In 1893 Mr. Rowland returned to Mississippi and opened a law office at Coffeeville, at which place in the past, Dr. Edward Mayes, L. Q. C. Lamar and Gen. E. C. Walthall had practiced, a circumstance that serves to make its history unusually interesting. In 1902 the State Department of Archives and History was created by the legislature; Mr. Rowland was elected Director and, during his incumbency, has done valuable work in preserving and publishing the historical archives of the State. He has compiled and edited a number of valuable historical publications, some of the most important being the Official and Statistical Register of Mississippi, (1904); Mississippi Territorial Archives, Vol. I, (1906) and the Encyclopedia of Mississippi History, (1906). In recognition of his valuable service to the State the University of Mississippi conferred the degree of LL. D., upon him, June, 1906. In the summer of 1906 Dr. Rowland went abroad for the purpose of investigating the official archives of England, France and Spain which relate to the provincial history of Mississippi, the legislature having provided funds to secure transcripts of original records. He is deeply absorbed in historical work; is in close touch with the best historians of the present day, and his fine sense of justice, broadness of view and utter lack of all sectional prejudice have won the admiration of the people North and South. He is a member of the Episcopal Church, the American Historical Association and the Delta Kappa Epsilom [sic.] fraternity, and is an honorary member of several historical societies in the United States.

Dr. Rowland was married December 20, 1906, at Flora, Miss., to his cousin Mrs. Eron Opha Gregory, a descendant of the Byrd family of Virginia.

 


 

Page last updated onWednesday, 14-Oct-2009 12:59:38 EDT