Excerpts from History of Mississippi from the Discovery of the Great River by Hernando DeSoto, including the Earliest Settlement made by the French under Iberville, to The Death of Jefferson Davis. By Robert Lowry and William H. McCardle. R. H. Henry and Co., Jackson, 1891. HINDS COUNTY p. 483-490. Hinds County was established February 12th, 1821, and named in honor of General Thomas Hinds; carved out of that tract of country ceded to the United States by the Choctaw tribe of Indians, on the 18th day of October, 1820. On February 4th, 1828, the Legislature provided for the election of five commissioners to select a site for the courthouse and jail of the county, and to locate the same either at Clinton, or within two miles of the center of the county. On the 17th of January, 1829, an act was passed directing that the courts should be held at Raymond, and that all books, records and papers belonging to the respective offices should be removed to that place.
Mayors of Utica, MS
Utica was incorporated March 5, 1880
The mayors of the town were:
Mr. H.J. Sarrett 1st Mayor served several yrs Mr. Joe B. Collins served about 30 yrs Mr. S.C. Heard served a few terms Mr. D.D. Owens served a term or two Mr. H.H. Miller mayor for one term Mr. R.F. Cook served several terms Mrs. R.F. Cook 1st Lady Mayor appointed for a few months term Mr. William H. Price 1st Bachelor elected 1946 Submitted by Jymie Carol Ford Inmon January 29, 2006
Excerpts taken from The Masons and the Methodists in Utica, Mississippi, by James E. Price, pg 98.
Hinds County Residents in Public Offices
and Other Noteworthy Persons
Among the first settlers of the county were Benj. F. Smith, Wm. W. Walker, Chas. M. Lawson, all of whom represented the county in the Legislature; W. J. Austin, Silas Brown, Hiram G. Runnels, who were also members of the Legislature.
Judge Isaac Caldwell, member of the State Senate, killed in a duel by Samuel Gwin, who received a wound from which he afterwards died.
Ralph Stovall, whose widow lived to be one hundred and one years of age; she was the mother of twenty-two children; the present deputy
sheriff L. F. Chiles, is the grandson of Mrs. Stovallís seventeenth daughter.
Daniel Thomas, for several terms sheriff of the county, was an early settler on Bakerís Creek; he was the father of Samuel B. Thomas, who
was Colonel of the Twelfth Regiment during the war, and like his honored father served the county most acceptably as sheriff for a decade or more.
Rev. Lewis B. Holloway, a Baptist minister, with his two stepsons John R. and Jas. M. Chiles, were among the early settlers of Jackson.
Leroy H. Tatum, Jas. Satterfield, Hugh McGowan and Rev. Jesse Woodall, a Baptist minister, settled in what was afterwards known as the Byram neighborhood.
John Rimes was the head of what was known as the Rimes colony.
Hon. Henry G. Johnston represented the county in the Legislature and was probate judge. He married the daughter of Gov. Walter Leake, and was the father of W. L. Johnston, now residing in or near Clinton.
Hon. Amos R. Johnston, a lawyer of ability and an advocate of great power, represented the county in the Legislature fifty-five years ago. When a young man he was probate judge, was one of the authors of the Revised Code of 1871, and represented the counties of Hinds and Rankin in the State Senate; he was the father of Capt. Frank and Dr. Wirt Johnston, each prominent in their respective professions, the former a learned and acc.......physicians of the State, and since its organization a member of the State Board of Health.
Henry S. Foote, referred to elsewhere in this volume, was the father of H. S. Foote, former district attorney in the Jackson district, an excellent lawyer and genial gentleman, now on the bench in California. Governor Foote was the father-in-law of Hon. Wm. M. Stewart, United States Senator from Nevada and noted for his independence of thought and conservatism.
Dr. New, Samuel Gwin, James McRaven, Rev. Daniel Comfort, widely known as a distinguished educator.
Hon. John I. Guion, who was Circuit Judge, State Senator, and as President of the Senate, succeeded to the Governship.
Judge Daniel Mayes, who was Circuit Judge in his native State, Kentucky, and Professor of Law in Transylvania College, was a profound and learned lawyer; he was the father of Hon. Herman Mayes, elsewhere referred to, also of Hon. Edward Mayes, of Oxford, before referred to in this volume. Judge Mayes was the father-in-law of Hon. Wiley P. Harris, to whom reference has been previously made; he was also the father-in-law of the late Hon. Geo. L. Potter, a lawyer of recognized ability, research and learning, of modest habits and great purity of character; his sons George, Daniel and Wiley H. Potter are still residents of the county, and the latter its efficient Circuit Clerk.
Hon. Caswell R. Clifton who was Judge of the Circuit Court and Clerk of the High Court of Errors and Appeals, was the father of Hon. Oliver Clifton, a lawyer by profession, who has represented the county in the Legislature, and is now and has been for many years Clerk of the Supreme Court of the State.
Austin Morgan, whose widow, son and daughter reside in the city of Jackson.
David Shelton, who came from Tennessee in 1836, and from the date of his location has kept constantly in the line of his profession,
occupying high rank as a lawyer, and for a half century has had an extensive practice, and is among the most substantial and honored
citizens of the capital city.
Edward S. Farish, came to Jackson in 1833, and was awarded the contract for the carpenterís work on the State House; he was father of four
sons, one of whom, Ned. Farish, a superior mechanic, an honorable and upright man, is now a resident of Jackson.
James Redfearn, a farmer and successful stockraiser, settled in Hinds in 1833, but has long been a highly esteemed citizen of Rankin.
Wm. J. Brown, now in his seventy-sixth year, came to Jackson as a printer in 1836; he is now a successful merchant, having the confidence of the community in which he has so long resided.
Herbert Spengler came to Jackson fifty-four years ago; he was accumulated a valuable estate, and is the head of a large family; his sons are established in business, and are thrifty and prosperous young men. Spenglerís Corner is one of the landmarks of the city, and known to visitors throughout the State that are in the habit of frequenting the capital.
Major Craft, father of the late Dr. M. S. Craft, a gentlemen of high character, splendid address, a distinguished physician, a surgeon of wide reputation and greatly esteemed by his large circle of friends and patrons.
Jas. Tolbert, Richard and Chas. Webber, C. C. Mason, a lawyer, Hon. Thos. J. Wharton, a native of Tennessee, who came to Clinton in 1836; soon after completing his collegiate course, he practiced his profession for a number of years with marked success, when he was elected Attorney General of the State, the duties of which he performed with great acceptability for two terms; he was subsequently circuit judge of the capital district for six years, a lawyer of distinction, scholarly attainments and universally esteemed.
Hon. James Rucks was circuit judge in his native State Tennessee, and after locating in Jackson, practiced his profession for a number of years; Judge Rucks was the father of a numerous family; his son James, was an intelligent and excellent lawyer. Judge Rucks was the father-in-law of the late Hon. Wm. Yerger, who was among Mississippiís ablest men, a great lawyer, and the readiest man of his day; although a Whig in politics, he was elected in a Democratic District, Judge of the High Court of Errors and Appeals; he was a State Senator in 1863, and a delegate to the Convention of 1865; a learned lawyer and able advocate, he had few equals, he reared a large family; his son, Capt. Jas. R. Yerger, is a well known and intelligent lawyer residing at the capital.
A. C. Baine, editor of the Flag of the Union, a newspaper published in Jackson years ago; James H. Kerr, father of Captain R. C. Kerr, well known Register of the United States Land Office at Jackson, a position which he held under a former administration.
Charles H. Manship, an expert painter, has always manifested much interest in the benevolent institutions located at the capital and for years he has been a trustee of some one of them; he has reared a large family and is now seventy-eight years of age, but manifests a warm interest in every enterprise that promises prosperity to the city.
D. N. Barrows, who served the city as chief magistrate, and widely known as an accurate, fair-minded and successful business man.
Alexander Virden, a native of Delaware, now seventy-six years of age, was one of the early merchants of Jackson; has seen the place grow from an insignificant village to its present proportions; he has passed unscathed through the financial ordeals occurring during the last half century, maintaining his high business integrity, and now, at his advanced age, can well afford to confide the management of his large mercantile interests to his three capable sons whom he has trained to business habits and methods, and who have already high commercial standing.
Edmund Richardson, whose business career was most successful, worked for a monthly salary first at Clinton and afterwards at Brandon, where he resided many years. At the time of his death, which occurred suddenly at Jackson, his home was in New Orleans. He had accumulated several millions of dollars.
George C. Fearn, was also a merchant in an early day, as was T. M. Ellis and John C. McAlister.
The John W. Robinson was for a number of years associated with Edmund Richardson. He had energy, tact, business capacity and superior judgment, and accumulated a handsome fortune; his two sons are engaged in merchandising. His son-in-law, who was with him in business for many years, Robert L. Saunders, is a man of affairs, bright, intelligent and enterprising, and one of Jacksonís leading and progressive citizens. Capt. Jno P. Stevens was also associated with Mr. Robinson, and is now one of Jacksonís solid and substantial citizens.
Steven P. Bailey, at one time mayor of Jackson, father of Henry Bailey and the late Doctor P. T. Bailey. Doctor Bailey did an extensive practice for many years, was gifted in his profession; with a warm and tender heart, he administered to his long list of patients, almost to the very day of his death.
Joshua and Thomas Green, natives of Maryland, who were widely known in business circles as men of enterprise. Prior to the war they established a cotton factory which was burned by the Federal troops during hostilities, thus reducing to ashes the accumulation of years of labor and toil. Each of the Messrs. Green reared large families, all of whom are highly respected.
John Shelton, Esq., of Raymond, a lawyer of ability, high character.
Matt D. Patton, father of the late John W. Patton.
Hyman, Phillip, Marcus and Samuel Hilzheim. They were merchants and business men and have descendants in this and Washington county, all of whom are highly respected.
Hon. George W. Harper, of Raymond, who has represented the county in the Legislature and a successful journalist of large experience.
Wm. C. Richards, cashier of the Plantersí Bank, John and Thomas Graves, James E. White, the owner of Whitesí Mills, once on Pearl river, Harry Long, W. W. and D. C. Young, merchants.
Hon. George Adams, appointed by President Jackson, District Judge of the United States Court for Mississippi, the duties of which he ably discharged for many years. He was the father of Generals Wirt and Daniel W. Adams. The former an educated, cultured, courtly gentleman, high bearing, full of courage and splendid address, was a Brigadier General in the Confederate service and postmaster of the city of Jackson, under Clevelandís administration, at the time of his death. His only son, who bears the name of his honored father, has been for six years State Revenue Agent. Daniel W. Adams was a lawyer of decided ability, represented the county in the State Senate and was a Brigadier General in the Confederate army, resided in New Orleans at the time of his death.
Hon. Collin S. Tarpley, an able and widely known lawyer, who did an extensive and lucrative practice. Members of his family, honored and respected, still reside near their old home.
R. L. Dixon, a lawyer of high standing. The late Doctor Wm. M. Gwin, a United States Senator from California.
William Clark, a minister of the Christian church, and at one time State Treasurer, he was the father of the late Robert A. and Col. Wm. H. Clarke, both lawyers of good standing, the former has descendants still residing in Jackson; the latter, who was a Colonel in the Confederate army and fell at the head of his regiment at the battle of Altoona, has an only son who bears his fatherís name, a young and bright lawyer at Dallas, Texas.
Doctor Silas Brown, an early and prominent physician of Jackson.
Doctor W. S. Langley, referred to elsewhere in this volume.
Samuel Lemly, a prompt, reliable and successful merchant, who has several sons, leading merchants in their respective lines, of
Jacob Kausler, an honored citizen, who has reared a large family.
H. E. Sizer, a large dealer in carriages, buggies, etc., whose two daughters still reside in the city of Jackson.
Later came Messrs. E. and S. Virden, natives of the State of Delaware, who engaged in merchandising and have been eminently successful and are classed among the most substantial and prosperous merchants in the State.
John Henry Lumpkin 1812 Politician
Lexington: David Jackson Bailey 1812 Politician
Near Lexington: William Harrell Felton 1823 Politician
Near Stephens: M. Pope Barrow 1839 Politician
Crawford: George B. Brooks Politician
Lexington: D. C. Barrow - Paul Brown - William Harris Crawford - William M. Howard - W. G. Johnson Politicians
Sandy Cross: C. A. Stevens Politician
This Page Updated June 24, 2004
|ALL RIGHTS RESERVED: The information you have found on this website is protected by the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998. See: http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/ Individual genealogist's may copy and use the information found on this website for personal use "ONLY". It is not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use nor for use on another webpage without the written permission of the webmaster. You may link freely to this website. Where information has been provided by someone other than the webmaster, written permission must be obtained by the submitter to copy the information.|