OUR CIVIL WAR ANCESTORS
Noah Hinton Thompson Jr
39th Mississippi Infantry Regiment, Company I, as 1st Sergeant. He joined March 15, 1862.
39th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
Infantry Regiment was organized at Jackson, Mississippi, during the late
spring of 1862. Its companies were
Submitted by Rose Thompson Denson May 8, 2004
|I have the following
family members who served in the War that were from Hinds and Copiah Counties:
1. Alonzo Robert BROOME (Lon)-born 29 Mar 1844 to Matthew Broome and wife, Martha Elizabeth (Betsy) Brown Broome in Utica, Hinds Co, MS. Died 22 July 1872 in Hinds Co, MS. Co. C, Crystal Springs Southern Rights, 16th MS Reg't, Army of Northern Virginia, CSA. (Corporal) Wounded at Sharpsburg on 17 Sept 1862 & taken prisoner; prisoner at Ft. Delaware until his exchange at Aiken's Landing, VA; again captured on 2 July 1863 at Gettysburg, PA & taken back to Ft. Delaware; exchanged on 30 Sept 1864; rejoined Co. C on 7 Oct 1864.
2. Cyrus Lafayette BROOME (Cy)-born 10 Nov 1842 to Matthew Broome and wife, Martha Elizabeth (Betsy) Brown Broome in Utica, Hinds Co, MS. He married Mittie Jean Stewart in Utica, MS on 25 Feb 1864. He died 2 Jan 1917 in San Angelo, Tom Greene Co, TX. Co. C, Crystal Springs Southern Rights, 16th MS Reg't, Army of Northern Virginia, CSA.
3. Elliott Harris BROOME (Elley)-born 12 Jan 1846 to Matthew Broome & Martha Elizabeth (Betsy) Brown Broome; married (1) Anna Chesley Hailles/Hale on 12 Jan 1871 (2) Emma Carrie Hailles/Hale on 6 Nov 1877; died 24 Sept 1915. Captain Cobb’s Scouts, Hinds Co, MS, CSA. Also listed with Co. K, 36th MS Infantry, CSA.
4. John Matthew BROOME-born 16 June 1838 to Matthew Broome & Martha Elizabeth (Betsy) Brown Broome; married Mattie Jane Woolley; died 12 May 1895. Co. C, Crystal Springs Southern Rights, 16th MS Regiment, CSA. (Pvt)
5. Seymore Brown BROOME-born 5 May 1853 to Matthew Broome & Martha Elizabeth (Betsy) Brown Broome; married Frances (Frankie) Yates on 1 Dec 1881 in Utica, Hinds Co, MS; died 30 Oct 1884. Ran away several times to join the CSA army.
6. Walter Xonpher BROOME (Walt) [called ‘Halles’ by his father]-born 18 Feb 1851 to Matthew Broome & Martha Elizabeth (Betsy) Brown Broome; married (1) Anna A. Folkes in Warren Co, MS (2) Tammie Clifford McCoy 25 Mar 1909 in Utica, Hinds Co, MS; died 30 Apr 1933. Montgomery Scouts, Hinds Co, MS, CSA. His escapades were chronicled in the book, Callow, Brave, and True.
7. William Alexander BROOME (Billy) born 22 Oct 1829 to Matthew Broome & Nancy Robinson Broome; married Nancy Caroline Thornton in Utica, Hinds Co, MS 18 Oct 1866; died 22 Mar 1905 in Victoria, TX. Co. K, 1st MS Light Artillery, CSA. (Pvt)
8. John W. BROWN-born 18 July 1815 in NC to William Brown & Martha (Pattie) Lee Brown; did not marry; lived in Utica, Hinds Co, MS; moved to Brazil with Confederates after the War. Unknown Co. & Regiment from MS, CSA.
9. Rufus M. BROWNING-born circa 1841 in MS; died in the War. Co. A, 1st (Percy’s) MS Infantry, Army of 10,000. (Pvt)
10. George Bryant FORD-born 3 July 1843 to John Ford & Rebecca Rachel Funchess in Utica MS; married Martha Cora (Mattie) Broome 9 Apr 1868 in Hinds Co, MS; died 24 Sept 1911 at Trickham, Coleman Co, TX. Co. C, Crystal Springs Southern Rights, 16th MS Regiment, CSA. [My 3rd great-grandfather.]
11. John Prentiss FORD-born 27 Jan 1840 to John Ford & Rebecca Rachel Funchess in Utica MS; did not marry; he was wounded at Sharpsburg, MD on 22 Sept 1862 & died in Lynchburg, VA on Nov 30, 1862. Co. B, Westville Guards, 16th MS Regiment ~ transferred to Co. C, Crystal Springs Southern Rights, 16th MS Regiment, CSA. [My 4th great-grand-uncle.]
12. Rowan FORD-born 5 July 1809 to Stephen Ford & Elizabeth Barfield Ford; never married; killed in action in the War 22 Aug 1862 in VA, at Second Bull Run. [My 5th great-grand-uncle.] Unknown Regiment and Company.
13. Joel Nathan FULGHAM-born Sept 1829 in Copiah Co, MS; married Nancy Elizabeth (Nannie) Broome on 6 July 1853 in Utica, Hinds Co, MS; died 17 Apr 1863 at Camp Moore, LA. CSA.
14. Dr. George John Daniel
FUNCHES (Capt.)-born 1813 in SC; married (1) Amanda Banks (2) Lavinia Bishop;
died Mar 1899 in Crystal Springs, Copiah Co, MS; Co. B, Westville Guards,
16th MS Regiment, CSA. [My 5th great-grand-uncle.]
Updated December 22, 2005, 2004
Page Created by Jane Combs
Copyright © 2004 Jane Combs All Rights Reserved
|ALL RIGHTS RESERVED: The information you have found on this website is protected by the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998. See: http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/ Individual genealogist's may copy and use the information found on this website for personal use "ONLY". It is not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use nor for use on another webpage without the written permission of the webmaster. You may link freely to this website. Where information has been provided by someone other than the webmaster, written permission must be obtained by the submitter to copy the information.|