JOHN RAGAN FAMILY
Contributed by Mary Collins Landin 7-4-05
Located: Almost a mile off Oakley road on the old Ragan Plantation (now owned by the Goode Family) between Fairchild Crossing and Oakley in central Hinds County, MS (S2T4NR3W). This site may have also been known in the earliest years as Battle Springs.
Recorded: By Mary Collins Landin, on 8 May 1979
First Grave: 1830
Remarks: This old abandoned cemetery is behind the old Ragan homestead and in the edge of a soybean field. At one time a public lane to the Ragan house passed by the cemetery, many years ago. There are several visible unmarked graves. McLemore’s 1973 History of Mississippi notes a Battle Springs Christian Church, long since gone, was founded here in the 1830s.
Fairchild, Susannah Fawcette Battle Ragan, widow of John Ragan, wf of William Fairchild Sr. b. Georgia 7 Apr 1773 d. Feb 1846
Herring, Margaret Evalena Ragan, wf of Samuel Lycurgus, daughter of L. B. and M. M. b. 24 Mar 1845 d. 4 Jun 1869
Ragan, Lazarus Battle, son of John and S. F. b. Greene County, GA 27 Feb 1807 d. 12 Feb 1897
Ragan, Minerva McAfee, wf of L. B. b. 14 Apr 1812 d. 7 Jun 1879
Ragan, John 1766-1830
Ragan, James M., son of W. L. and Fannie b. 13 Jun 1884 d. 16 Jun 1884
Ragan, Eugene McAfee b. 9 Jan 1886 d. Oct 1950
Raybourn, Theodocia 1872-1943
Page Created July 4, 2005
©2005 Jane Combs All Rights Reserved