Contributed by Mary Collins Landin 7-4-05
This ill-fated settlement was begun in 1826 on the banks of the Big Black River in S17T6NR4W. The site was so marshy and illnesses so prevalent that the village settlers removed themselves to the bluff site of Amsterdam and established that village in 1828. There is undoubtedly a small cemetery at Hamburg since it was such an unhealthy site, but no trace of it remains and no signs of the old village exist.
Page Created July 4, 2005
©2005 Jane Combs All Rights Reserved