Recorded and contributed by Mary Collins Landin 7-06-05
This old settlement in Hinds County was begun in 1836 by Thomas L. Sumrall, and was located in the northwest corner on the banks of the Big Black River north of the present community of Orange Hill. Another old settlement, Amsterdam, was close to it. These are both now ghost towns, and there is no trace of the existence of a once thriving community in either place. The road to Antibanks is no longer public, and is nearly impassable (washed out) and posted private property. The settlement location itself is now in deep woods, and if there was ever an old cemetery there, no trace of it remains. Most likely there was a cemetery since the village remained viable for close to 25 years, and was only abandoned when the railroad bypassed it. The site is now part of White Farms (S31T8NR3W).
Page Created July 6, 2005
©2005 Jane Combs All Rights Reserved